• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Saving 2020 HGVC Club points into 2021

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Just a reminder for those who have had to cancel reservations this spring and early summer and do not know when you might be able to use your 2020 allotment of points. The Discounted Rate of $85 for saving points ends on March 31st. After April 1st it will be $125 to save points into 2021.

So if you are in the situation to have to save points, think about doing it before the end of the month to have yourself about $40.

I just saved my allotment into 2021. If I end up using some back this year that is fine, but I don't having worry about booking and using the "right' points to complete the reservation.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Just a reminder for those who have had to cancel reservations this spring and early summer and do not know when you might be able to use your 2020 allotment of points. The Discounted Rate of $85 for saving points ends on March 31st. After April 1st it will be $125 to save points into 2021.

So if you are in the situation to have to save points, think about doing it before the end of the month to have yourself about $40.

I just saved my allotment into 2021. If I end up using some back this year that is fine, but I don't having worry about booking and using the "right' points to complete the reservation.
I have about 17,000 2020 points now after canceling a couple of rooms in May. If I save them all to 2021, and decide to go in, say, December, can I "borrow" those points back? Or would I borrow 2021 points? Or does it even matter, are points just points?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have about 17,000 2020 points now after canceling a couple of rooms in May. If I save them all to 2021, and decide to go in, say, December, can I "borrow" those points back? Or would I borrow 2021 points? Or does it even matter, are points just points?
Yes you can borrow them back

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As @Panina answered you can borrow them back. That is why I thought I would remind everyone about the discount period NOW, instead of waiting until the end of the year.

I actually cancelled all my reservations that were using 2020 club points. Transfered them to some Saved points I had remaining, then saved all of the points into 2021. They told me it should be an overnight transaction.

I am pushing my summer plans to the fall. I can't book at that resort until later in April, as booking is frozen right now, but neither can anyone else either.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I have points to save. However, I have NYC reservations in August and December. Worried I’ll have to save twice if I save now.

If I cancel and save everything to 2021 then rebook 2020 stays, where do points go if I then cancel?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
As @Panina
I am pushing my summer plans to the fall. I can't book at that resort until later in April, as booking is frozen right now, but neither can anyone else either.

Is all booking frozen, included late in the year?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have banked 2019 points. Has anyone had success with HGVC enabling saving such points into 2021?

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Just a comment that for the last two or three years they have also offered a discount in the fall to save points into the next year. If memory serves me correctly, I think it is usually around October. I suspect the idea is to encourage people to act early to avoid the processing burden for their staff if everyone were to delay it until December. Of course, it is never guaranteed they will do it again this year.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
An option would be to deposit the points in RCI
Good idea. Can I do that once it has been banked? If so how long are they good for in RCI and when is the deadline for depositing?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Here is a quote from The Rules:
"Prior to 11:59 p.m. ET on December 31 of the current year, Members may deposit previously saved ClubPoints into the RCI Exchange program for future weekly and nightly RCI Exchange reservations. This is called an RCI Deposit. RCI Deposits are valid from the date of deposit through an additional two calendar years and travel must occur prior to Points expiration."

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a comment that for the last two or three years they have also offered a discount in the fall to save points into the next year. If memory serves me correctly, I think it is usually around October. I suspect the idea is to encourage people to act early to avoid the processing burden for their staff if everyone were to delay it until December. Of course, it is never guaranteed they will do it again this year.

They did not do this last year. This would coincide with when they started offering the "early" option outlined above.

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As I read the fee schedule, it's $85 for auto-save, $115 for individual saves.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
They did not do this last year. This would coincide with when they started offering the "early" option outlined above.

Cheers.

You could very well be correct. I didn't have to save points in 2019.

I know they did it in 2016 and 2017, because I took advantage of it. I think they also did it in 2018, because I remember saving my remaining points in September and was annoyed when they then offered the discount sometime a bit later.

If I have to cancel our reservation for this December, I will have no choice but to save the points to 2021. However, the reason would likely only be due to Covid-19 still having an impact, so hopefully in that case they might waive the fee or extend the date.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
So if I have trips currently booked in 2020 using 2020 points. I pay to auto save my remaining 2020 points now. Then I end up cancelling one of my 2020 reservations. When I cancel the 2020 reservation using 2020 points, will those then be auto saved or will I have to pay again to save them?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I have to cancel our reservation for this December, I will have no choice but to save the points to 2021. However, the reason would likely only be due to Covid-19 still having an impact, so hopefully in that case they might waive the fee or extend the date.

If you have to cancel a trip in December because of COVID-19, chances are good that a large percentage of the world's population is dead and banking your points will be the least of your worries.

cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if I have trips currently booked in 2020 using 2020 points. I pay to auto save my remaining 2020 points now. Then I end up cancelling one of my 2020 reservations. When I cancel the 2020 reservation using 2020 points, will those then be auto saved or will I have to pay again to save them?

Officially No, those canceled points would not automatically save into 2021. But I have had success in the past with calling them and manually moving them since I paid to save them.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is all booking frozen, included late in the year?

I think it depends on the resort. One of the resorts I wanted to book for October is Pulled from inventory for now.

I did check the list provided by HGVC but it is not clear and does not agree with what I was told over the phone. So I am not exactly sure.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
If you have to cancel a trip in December because of COVID-19, chances are good that a large percentage of the world's population is dead and banking your points will be the least of your worries.

cheers.

Even if Covid-19 is still quite active then, it is not likely a large percentage of the world's population will be dead. The cumulative death rate is currently between 2 and 4%; so significant, but not the zombie apocalypse. My concern is with the lackadaisical attitude of the Florida Governor and the fact that Florida has now become a Covid-19 hotspot. There is not only no vaccine, but a significant shortage of equipment to deal with it.

Like someone else we know in Washington, until the last few days DeSantis has taken almost no serious, coordinated action, preferring to blame everyone else, such as visitors from NY, NJ and CT. Yet he allowed large masses of students to congregate on the beaches during Spring Break and even had the temerity to challenge mayors who decided to take action on their own. This does not bode well for significant diminution of the Covid-19 virus anytime soon.

Here in Canada we have been in lock-down for some time now and self-isolated in our home, with limited travel outside of it. Most people are also being good about exercising "physical distancing". We seem to be experiencing a reduction in cases relative to the USA and a flattening of the curve. Lets hope that continues. I am less optimistic about Florida.

We have 11 nights booked at the beginning of December at HGVC Plantation Beach Club, on the beach in central Florida. The first round of Covid-19 should hopefully be clear by then, but authorities are now concerned about successive waves around the world. With a vaccine not likely to be widely available in under 12 to 16 months, a relaxing of preventative measures would not be good. We are certainly not panicking, but Florida will still be there in 2021. We want to ensure we are, too!

As seniors in the second highest risk category, we won't risk our health, and certainly not potentially our lives, just to take a vacation. If it is ongoing we may also be unable to obtain travel health coverage that will cover it. Currently Covid-19 is an exclusion. We love to travel, but if little changes by the middle of October, we will cancel and move our points to 2021. Travel is a "want", not a "need".

Cheers!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think it depends on the resort. One of the resorts I wanted to book for October is Pulled from inventory for now.
It looks like all booking for all dates is currently suspended.

Kurt

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have points to save. However, I have NYC reservations in August and December. Worried I’ll have to save twice if I save now.

Isn't the solution just to enroll in "Auto Save" which is offering the discount. My understanding is that this effectively just auto-saves any points left at the end of the year (so, it should pick up points you receive back for future cancellations). Can anyone confirm if I have that right?

It looks like all booking for all dates is currently suspended.

Kurt

I know the system says this...but still letting me make reservations.

Last edited:

xandern

Reaction score
Isn't the solution just to enroll in "Auto Save" which is offering the discount. My understanding is that this effectively just auto-saves any points left at the end of the year (so, it should pick up points you receive back for future cancellations). Can anyone confirm if I have that right?

I know the system says this...but still letting me make reservations.
I can confirm that, made a Hawaii booking for December just now and it went through fine.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if Covid-19 is still quite active then, it is not likely a large percentage of the world's population will be dead. The cumulative death rate is currently between 2 and 4%; so significant, but not the zombie apocalypse. My concern is with the lackadaisical attitude of the Florida Governor and the fact that Florida has now become a Covid-19 hotspot. There is not only no vaccine, but a significant shortage of equipment to deal with it.

I love that I'm not the only one referring to this frequently as the zombie apocalypse :)

My point was that, if COVID-19 is serious enough in December to have HGVC cancelling reservations, then it must still be a big deal. Yes, it will be mitigated before then but, at present, we are on a path to increase deaths by a factor of 10 every 8.7 days. That will flatten, but when?

Cheers.