• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Saved From a Scam - Be aware

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I have purchased one time credits from other Worldmark owners a number of times. I have also been in contact with some folks that I didn't end up buying from. I have also successfully done the same with VI points. Probably why I let my guard down.

I received a text that addressed me by name and claimed to have 40,000 WM credits to sell all or part of at $0.06 per credit. That's a very good price but not ridiculous. I've paid that little recently. They even had a screen print showing the 40,000 credits.

The person claimed we had spoken before. I agreed to buy 10,000 credits at half up front and half on transfer. Half was $300 so not a fortune but not money I'd want to throw away. BTW I stated half and half which they accepted. They didn't suggest that probably hoping I'd pay the whole amount.

I should have done my normal request to show the full page with their owner name, etc as well as the credit info but I didn't. They said they accepted Zelle or Venmo.

When I went to set them up in Zelle it at first said the email wasn't in the Zelle system. That was a minor red flag. I wasn't even sure if they were set up and logged out without sending any money. When I tried to log back in my banking ID had been disabled. Upon calling the bank they did say it was the Zelle situation that flagged the disabling and that it can't be cleared until the next business day.

I texted back asking for the screen I should have seen originally. I expect the I will hear nothing. The phone number it came from is 919-628-0698. The Zelle name was Kathleen Phillips.

Thanks to my bank I didn't lose anything. This is a pretty sophisticated scam in knowing exactly what I would be interested in.

BE AWARE. I was foolish in letting my guard down after successful transactions.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I have purchased one time credits from other Worldmark owners a number of times. I have also been in contact with some folks that I didn't end up buying from. I have also successfully done the same with VI points. Probably why I let my guard down.

I received a text that addressed me by name and claimed to have 40,000 WM credits to sell all or part of at $0.06 per credit. That's a very good price but not ridiculous. I've paid that little recently. They even had a screen print showing the 40,000 credits.

The person claimed we had spoken before. I agreed to buy 10,000 credits at half up front and half on transfer. Half was $300 so not a fortune but not money I'd want to throw away. BTW I stated half and half which they accepted. They didn't suggest that probably hoping I'd pay the whole amount.

I should have done my normal request to show the full page with their owner name, etc as well as the credit info but I didn't. They said they accepted Zelle or Venmo.

When I went to set them up in Zelle it at first said the email wasn't in the Zelle system. That was a minor red flag. I wasn't even sure if they were set up and logged out without sending any money. When I tried to log back in my banking ID had been disabled. Upon calling the bank they did say it was the Zelle situation that flagged the disabling and that it can't be cleared until the next business day.

I texted back asking for the screen I should have seen originally. I expect the I will hear nothing. The phone number it came from is 919-628-0698. The Zelle name was Kathleen Phillips.

Thanks to my bank I didn't lose anything. This is a pretty sophisticated scam in knowing exactly what I would be interested in.

I'm confused as to why your banking ID was disabled?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Good news is that you didn’t lose any money. Curious though, all you did was search their email address but that was enough for Zelle to lock your banking ID? Does that mean that email address had already been identified as a scammer?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Something about the transaction (setting up the recipient) alerted their fraud department. They disabled my ID to prevent a possible fraud transaction. It turns out they also immediately called me but I didn’t realize until checking VM a bit later.

Having now talked w fraud they are reactivating my ID.

I texted the person asking for a screen print of acct details that show name and address along w credits. They said they would send “when home at their computer “ but I don’t expect to hear from them again. Actually a bit surprised I got a response but that’s probably trying to buy time before having to adjust details of the scam.

Reactions: RX8

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Something about the transaction (setting up the recipient) alerted their fraud department. They disabled my ID to prevent a possible fraud transaction. It turns out they also immediately called me but I didn’t realize until checking VM a bit later.

Having now talked w fraud they are reactivating my ID.

I texted the person asking for a screen print of acct details that show name and address along w credits. They said they would send “when home at their computer “ but I don’t expect to hear from them again. Actually a bit surprised I got a response but that’s probably trying to buy time before having to adjust details of the scam.

The scammer didn't send you any links that you clicked on I hope.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The scammer didn't send you any links that you clicked on I hope.

Definitely not. None sent and I definitely wouldn't have clicked.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Phew!! I had a similar experience (except on wmowners) but my transaction went thru with flying colors (except it took an extra day to transfer). Thanks Mokjo!

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs

OMG I got a text from that person too! I posted an ad to rent credits on WM Owners and got two texts and two emails and all were suspicious. The one text I responded to asking for a screenshot sent me an obviously fake screenshot. I’m so over it I will never post an ad to rent credits again. I was dubious to begin with and now it’s been confirmed. The fact that they post that the credits expire not an the end of the month is a dead giveaway.

44B60734-A4F1-48AA-BE6F-106A196C0D14.png

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
2E369AED-5E63-495B-B92D-901012B749F4.png

Gmail flagged this one for me thank goodness!

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
5FEDD8D5-D2BE-49BA-A87E-DDB63C99889F.png

95FEE479-B001-4AB8-95DD-87049AFF13D4.png

E93F4121-1099-4767-8E08-29D979164AF3.png

I don’t know what this person was trying to pull!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
OMG I got a text from that person too! I posted an ad to rent credits on WM Owners and got two texts and two emails and all were suspicious. The one text I responded to asking for a screenshot sent me an obviously fake screenshot. I’m so over it I will never post an ad to rent credits again. I was dubious to begin with and now it’s been confirmed. The fact that they post that the credits expire not an the end of the month is a dead giveaway.

View attachment 39674

I actually have credits in my account that don’t expire at the end of a month from using Exchange Plus. They’re labeled as trade credits on the detail page.

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
I actually have credits in my account that don’t expire at the end of a month from using Exchange Plus. They’re labeled as trade credits on the detail page.
I'm not quite sure what that is, but I doubt three different people would have credits that expire on the 20th in 2022 and 2023

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you @JohnPaul for the information and @sherakay for the screen shots. I'll add a warning to the Credits Wanted section of WMOwners.

Last edited:

allenke

TUG Member
Reaction score
To avoid scams, I never send money prior to receiving the credits in my account. Personally, I believe that is the way all renting of credit transactions should go. Less likely scams will happen that way.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There are many Worldmark Owners that will not Transfer Credits until they have the money.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Worldmark charge members to transfer credits from one account to another? I have purchased credits in the past, but I have always been a bit nervous about it. This posting makes me know I should never post that I am looking for credits. I've only ever responded to people who have posted that they have credits to rent out, and I have only purchased credits from people who have lots of reviews from other renters.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
Does Worldmark charge members to transfer credits from one account to another? I have purchased credits in the past, but I have always been a bit nervous about it. This posting makes me know I should never post that I am looking for credits. I've only ever responded to people who have posted that they have credits to rent out, and I have only purchased credits from people who have lots of reviews from other renters.

No. WorldMark does not currently charge for the transfer.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I only buy credits from those I'm somewhat familiar with. If I want the credits quick I use Timeshare Angels @ 7.5 cents a point. I know its not the least expensive option but it is a very safe option.

Bill