• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sanibel Island or Captiva Island?

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
About to make a request..which one is more fun to visit. What are your favorite resorts?

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed on Captiva

But I don't think there's a bad choice! It's like choosing which community you like better in Hilton Head.....Sea Pines or Palmetto Dunes......both are great!.....same ocean....same island.

You will have ALOT more choices for timeshares/condo's on Sanibel - I think the only time shares on Captiva are in South Seas so that will limit your choices significantly - we didn't use a timeshare we rented a home on Captiva. The reason we stayed on Captiva is that there ARE fewer timeshares/condo's so it is even quieter than Sanibel (and Sanibel is pretty quiet!) and we like quiet.

We did rent our bikes in Sanibel and rode all around the bike trails and that was alot of fun.....unless you're in South Seas there is not anywere good to ride bikes on Captiva. Also the golf course(s)? is on Sanibel.

This is a win-win choice -Have a great time, it's one of my all time favorite destinations.

Judy

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgot about the South Seas golf course

But you must make sure you are staying somewhere that allows you to use the golf course....ie. some of the timeshare availablility on South Seas does NOT allow golf course use.

ps You can check here on TUG reviews or go to TripAdvisor to get an idea about ratings and reviews of all the resorts/condo's you are considering.

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
like the previous poster said. You will probably have better luck with your search requesting Sanibel. It's so beautiful there. My absolute favorite! Then second is Longboat key area.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd stay on whichever island you get an exchange. Spread the net wide.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last September, we stayed at Shell Island Beach Club (HGVC affiliate) on the eastern tip of Sanibel by the lighthouse, and LOVED IT! It's beachfront, quiet, and nicely furnished. We had a beautiful view of the gulf from our screened in porch, and watched big (but blissfully short!) thunderstorms roll across the water most afternoons/evenings. The path from our unit to the beach lead to great shelling every single day! We'd never been to that part of Florida, so we had a car to explore. We definitely want to go back - and would take any resort on Sanibel or Captiva!

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Casa Ybel for us this summer! Any choice is good, Sanibel/Captiva is just splendid.