• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sanibel Area vs Sarasota Area (Young Kids)

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have young kids and we really like Siesta Key because you just can't beat the beach there. We have never been to the Sanibel area (or Marco Island for that matter).

We are going to Florida for Fall Break (I know -- hurricane season), but the silver lining is that I often see some decent availability in both the Sarasota / Sanibel Area.

We have a 6 year old and twin 2 year old boys, what do you think would be best for our family?

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My hunch is Sarasota and we own a timeshare on Sanibel. That said, Sanibel Sea School may interest your 6 year old. Going through Ding Darling may interest all of you, although the 2 year old boys are a bit young. Taking a ride on the Sanibel Thriller should be great fun for the entire family. Dolphins always come and play in the wake. You could also try Tarpon Bay activities. Kayaking with the children as young as they are is probably out, but there are some other activities, like sea life cruises and fishing. If you can convince the youngsters to enjoy the beach, Sanibel works, but so does Sarasota. You could also do a bit on Captiva. Kids are "captivated" by the Bubble Room.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My hunch is Sarasota and we own a timeshare on Sanibel. That said, Sanibel Sea School may interest your 6 year old. Going through Ding Darling may interest all of you, although the 2 year old boys are a bit young. Taking a ride on the Sanibel Thriller should be great fun for the entire family. Dolphins always come and play in the wake. You could also try Tarpon Bay activities. Kayaking with the children as young as they are is probably out, but there are some other activities, like sea life cruises and fishing. If you can convince the youngsters to enjoy the beach, Sanibel works, but so does Sarasota. You could also do a bit on Captiva. Kids are "captivated" by the Bubble Room.
I am interested in trying something new and Sanibel has been on my radar for a while. However, I do think the two year olds are too young to really appreciate it. The beach at Siesta Key is pretty hard to beat, and while I do think the kids would get a real kick out of shelling, from my limited research it sounds like Siesta Key is probably the better choice for a purely beach vacation.

Maybe we'll try to get to Sanibel in 2-3 years.

I looked at the Sanibel Sea School and I think my 6 year old would be in HEAVEN with that, that's a really great suggestion. I also looked up the Bubble Room and that looks like a home run as well.

Any other suggestions for Sanibel or Siesta?

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest going to the TA Sanibel forum and asking the same question there. Lots of decent regulars who have experience with young children on Sanibel. Looking forward to seeing you there.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is something kids may enjoy off island. Lakes Park has a miniature train ride, a train museum, and playground equipment in the shape of a train all run by volunteer train enthusiasts.
it also has paddle boats, surreys, and bicycle carriages to rent. Adults peddle, kids sit in small seat.
beautifil scenery and walking paths,
right next door is a very nice mini golf
manatee park is neat on a cool day.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
I visited the Sarasota Big Cat Habitat and Sanctuary yesterday. Boy was I surprised. Not a big fan of zoo's because seeing caged animals makes me sad. There are over 50 lion's and tigers at this sanctuary and they are the healthiest looking animals you will find anywhere. They even put on a very entertaining show that at least your 6 year old will love. And Veterans are free everyday! Highly recommend for lion and tiger lovers.
https://bigcathabitat.org/

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean Octagon Sanctuary near Punta Gorda?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the times we stayed in Sarasota and never knew about it!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sarasota Big Cat Habitat is terrific. There is the Ringling Museum. The Circus Museum there is fantastic- free on Mondays. Mote Aquarium is wonderful. Jungle Gardens is for young children.