• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Francisco Restaurant Recommendations?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We're heading to San Francisco for an extended weekend trip this thursday, and I was wondering if anyone had any restaurants that they'd recommend. We're staying at the new InterContinental hotel near the convention centre, but are willing to travel for good eats. My wife is especially interested in scoring some top quality local seafood, and I'd like to suprise her.

Thanks!

Michael

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
One of my current favorites is Trattoria Contadina. http://trattoriacontadina.com/

We usually end up going out for Italian when we go into San Francisco so I'm not really up on seafood restaurants there. I know a tourist favorite for years has been Scoma's. http://www.scomas.com/ I've eaten there once, thought it was okay, but very expensive. Hope you get some other suggestions.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You can't go wrong with the Cliff House http://www.cliffhouse.com/

Is the food better than it used to be? I haven't been there since the new building has been completed. The view is incredible, and it's a great place to go for drinks, but I never thought the food was all that good.

I just remembered, something fun we did a couple of summers ago was the California Culinary Academy. I'll see if I can find the website. Okay, found it. However, the location they're talking about is not the one where we ate: http://www.baychef.com/about_restaurants_catering.asp

Last edited:

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my favorites was the Tadich Grill. It was down by the Hyatts but I haven't been there for a few years.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Pasadena it's McCormick and Schmidt. One of the names is different in San Francisco at the Wharf.
Liz

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite at the Wharf is Alioto's #8 one of the first, if not the first Seafood Groto on the Wharf. Mmmm, Crab, Sourdough Bread, and a nice frosty cold Anchor Steam Beer!:whoopie: they have a full menu of Seafood and Italian specialties. no shortage of good food in SF Have Fun! RT

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I also like Michael Mina & Gary Danko & Slanted Door

Those are three of the highest rated restaurants in the city. I haven't eaten at any of them..........yet. ;)

roadsister

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm with pcgirl54 - just ate at the Crab House on Pier 39 Thursday...it was the best crab I have ever had....YUM!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Michael,

If you haven't already - check out the San Francisco Dining Guide which is located in the Tug Review Section - log in and go to the West Resort Review Section - click on California - now inbetween the USA West Resort Box and the California Resort box will be a hyperlink titled "Additional Information on California Resorts" - click on that hyperlink - now click on the San Francisco Dining Guide hyperlink

Bon Appetit!

Richard

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you go to China Town and are looking for an authentic Dim-Sum meal, go to New Asia. But watch out! The girls with carts of food will come around to you and literally start just placing random food on your table and you will have to pay for whatever you keep. So be confident and only accept food that you want. It was very good though and I thought reasonably priced. It was largely Chinese people in this very large restaurant so that was fascinating.

Janna

Last edited:

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
Tadish Grill

Do not miss the ciopinno at the Tadish Grill. It is unbelievable. We live in San Diego and am tempted to fly up there for lunch every time I see a Southwest airlines fare sale. The ciopinno is delightful.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If I had just one place to eat in San Francisco, it would probably be Little Joe's, now at about 5th and Mission. Best Veal Parmigiana in the world. Their Cacciucco is also amazing if you love seafood (think clams, mussels, crab and other shellfish in a garlic tomato soup). They also supposedly have the best meatballs in town. Inexpensive.

If I had two, I would add Scoma's. Great, fresh seafood in a classic setting on the docks in the back of Fisherman's Wharf. Expensive, but cheaper at lunch and waaay worth it. Especially if you love crab. You can get a prix fixe meal, consisting of Crab Louie (or another classic entree), Clam Chowder, a dessert, and all the sourdough bread and butter you can eat for about $23 at lunch. Or, if you're a real crab lover, for a splurge go for their garlic and olive oil roasted crab, served hot in the shell.

If you don't care about atmosphere, Swan Oyster Depot on Polk St. is much cheaper and has the freshest seafood in town (they supply many of the local restaurants), served up on a crowded lunch counter (no dinner). There's usually a line to sit down, because all the locals know about that place. Inexpensive to Moderate.

If I had three, I probably would do Dim Sum at Gold Mountain, on Broadway near Columbus. Classic, fresh and delicious authentic Dim Sum and almost the entire clientele is composed of local Chinese residents. Moderate.

For a real experience, take your life in your hands and eat the best hamburger in town at Original Joe's in the Tenderloin. Go at lunch only -- not after dark. They have their own in-house butcher, so the hamburger is extremely fresh, and really good. Cheap, too.

Maybe a dessert at Max's Opera Cafe at Van Ness and Golden Gate. A seven-layer cookie (two of the layers are ice cream and hot fudge) would fill the bill, and the waiters/waitresses are show people who get up and perform through the night. Moderate.

Further up Van Ness, at Geary, Tommy's Joynt is a classic Hofbrau with about a hundred different beers, and quite a few on tap. Go for the classic Turkey Leg or some kind of Roast Beast sandwich/entree. Or be a little adventurous and try the Turkey Sloppy Joe (good, and cheap), or the Buffalo Chili. Inexpensive to Moderate.

But SF is particularly known for its Seafood, Italian food and Chinese food.

Or just look at my TUG Dining Guide to San Francisco. It's now about two years old, but many of the recommendations are still valid.

Last edited:

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Or just look at my TUG Dining Guide to San Francisco. It's now about two years old, but many of the recommendations are still valid.

I updated the Sticky post to include this as well. I forgot that was there. :eek:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!
You guys are amazing! Thanks very much. I'm busily mapping out all of these recommendations into a plan that will hopefully leave some time for sight-seeing in between meals. Maybe we will have to bike the bridge after all to burn some calories... :D
Michael

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Theresa,

Thanks for updating the Sticky to include Hoc's San Francisco Dining Guide.

Now it's easier to access too!

Richard

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Theresa,

Thanks for updating the Sticky to include Hoc's San Francisco Dining Guide.

Now it's easier to access too!

Just remember the info is old. Some examples:

Little Joe's has moved (see my post above);
Tonno Rosso has shut down;
Boulange has since opened up stores in several places besides Polk St. (Haight St., North Beach are two I can think of off the top of my head);
Blue Chip Cookies is gone from the city, and the remaining stores are only around the midwest (and I think one in PA);

and quite a few of the links no longer work.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Scoma's. Have eaten there for over 30 yrs. everytime we are in SFO.
Just ate there 3 weeks ago for hubby's 60th birthday. Always fabulous!

Some of the wait staff have been there as long as we have been coming which I think says something.

Little Joe's also very good.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lived in San Fran for several years, and ate at Scoma's many times. I have friends that just ate there recently and attest that the food is as good as ever. If I ate at one place in town, that would be it.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just remember the info is old. Some examples:

Little Joe's has moved (see my post above);
Tonno Rosso has shut down;
Boulange has since opened up stores in several places besides Polk St. (Haight St., North Beach are two I can think of off the top of my head);
Blue Chip Cookies is gone from the city, and the remaining stores are only around the midwest (and I think one in PA);

and quite a few of the links no longer work.

Yes, but you business owners have ALL OF THIS FLEX TIME to take time off and play golf, catch a beer or two with an old bud, or spend a little time up dating TUG stuff for all of your close TUG buddies right!?!?!:D

No, worries Hoc-----my DH operates his own business and I know better.:cool: When time allows great-- if not---a lot of it is still good and we appreciate it.--Thank you for writing it for us. :)

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, but you business owners have ALL OF THIS FLEX TIME to take time off and play golf, catch a beer or two with an old bud, or spend a little time up dating TUG stuff for all of your close TUG buddies right!?!?!:D

Yeah, I wish. ;) (Up late, still working. . . .)