• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Francisco in the Spring, 2016

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to San Francisco in the early Spring, 2016. Any recommendations on what we should not miss? We are staying at the Inn at the Opera. Any good resources on Public Transportation?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite things when I visited there last time were Golden Gate Park (especially the Japanese Tea Garden) and a tour of Muir Woods. Our Muir Woods tour picked us up and dropped us off at our timeshare (powell place). It was very convenient, but I wish we got to spend more time in the woods than we did.

We bought a transportation pass at Walgreen's. It gives unlimited bus and trolley rides. We mostly used that to get around, but took a taxi a couple of times. We literally just stepped into taxis when we saw other passengers getting out.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to go to Alcatraz, the tickets sell out early. Found that out several years ago when we went to San Francisco. I think I tried a few weeks in advance and they were all sold out.

I second Golden Gate Park.

Enjoy your trip!

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I also recommend the weekly Muni pass that includes unlimited trolley and cable car rides (otherwise $7 a pop now). I stayed at the Suites at Fisherman's Wharf and was right by the end of one of the cable car lines and took at least two of them or trolleys every day.

The Ferry Building Marketplace is fabulous for eating and picking up specialty foods. They also had a farmers' market outside of it several days a week, and even in January there was a great variety of produce.

I also recommend a ferry trip to Sausalito or another of the towns in the bay.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Agree with most of the posts so far.. Book a tour of Alcatraz well in advance..., also check out the Ferry Building, Union Square if you like shopping.. The Presidio is nice, particularly the Walt Disney museum.

The Exploratorium is fantastic science museum, very hands on and great for kids.. or adults that still act like kids sometimes...

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I took my kids we were on a budget. We got the trolley pass and rode it for pure enjoyment. We all liked Chinatown (a lot) especially the more of the beaten path you can get there. We ate all of our breakfasts there at little diners which were surprisingly affordable. You can also see dozens of people practicing Tai Chi in the parks in the morning (at least in China Town). We also popped in to the Original Wells Fargo Bank in the Financial district where they have a beautiful display of Gold coins (California was the last to accept paper money) and an antique carriage in the lobby. Coit Tower, high on a hill with observation Windows up high and Diego Rivera murals below was one of my favorites but then it does combine scenery with art. We enjoyed Dungeness crab and Clam chowder down at the wharf and did lots of people watching. But the trolley rides were the highlight!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The free walking tours facilitated by the San Francisco public library are amazing. We've done the Chinatown tour, the Fairmont, the Ferry Building, the Palace Hotel and the Financial District, among others. (The Fairmont tour was amazing - lots of behind the scenes viewing). http://www.sfcityguides.org/descriptions_table.html

They are free but the guides do ask for donations to the library and pass an envelope. No pressure.