• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Diego Area Hotel for One Night - Need Recommendation

Betty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, we'll be staying in Del Mar for the week, but we are arriving the night before our actual check-in date which happens to be on a Sunday.

Can anyone recommend a decent, moderately-priced hotel either at or near the airport, since we won't be arriving until close to 10:00 p.m. and won't feel like driving a long distance?

I'm not even sure how far Del Mar is from the San Diego airport, but we are open to any and all suggestions as long as we can check in somewhere by midnight. We'll be coming from the East Coast, so that 3-hour time difference is bound to kick in by then.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Betty

P.S. We're not looking for fancy, just a clean, safe place to stay as cheaply as possible.

Betty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Rick,

Nice to hear from you. I'll be sure to check out the website you mentioned. Still remember when we first met in Vegas and shared a fun lunch with Fern. That was quite a buffet. Hope all is well with you and your family. We're headed to San Antonio in a few weeks for our first visit to the Lone Star state. Really looking forward to seeing the sights and enjoying warmer weather than what we've been having here in New England this winter. The 50's and 60's will feel like summertime to us after these frigid temps.

Thanks again for the link. I'll poke around and see what I can come up with. Still hoping someone will offer the name of a specific hotel where they've stayed that they would recommend. Cuts down on the research time that way.

Betty

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hotel Circle

We often stay at the Town & Country, in the hotel circle area. Nice pool. Pleasant older feel to the place (my parents use to stay there in the 60s). It is also next to a station for the Trolly Car. Ask for one of the bungalows (as opposed to the high rise). My grandmother loved this place (but so does my grandkid).

Here is the Website for the hotel: http://www.towncountry.com/

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
We often stay at the Town & Country, in the hotel circle area. Nice pool. Pleasant older feel to the place (my parents use to stay there in the 60s). It is also next to a station for the Trolly Car. Ask for one of the bungalows (as opposed to the high rise). My grandmother loved this place (but so does my grandkid).

Here is the Website for the hotel: http://www.towncountry.com/

I was going to recommend the Town & Country but since it was only my parents and not I that had stayed there, I didn't want to recommend it. But I do know my parents quite liked the Town & Country, so I guess that's another vote for the T&C. :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at the Old Town Inn. Right on Pacific Coast Hwy at OldTown only a couple miles from the airport. Clean, good, free breakfast. www.oldtown-inn.com

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a good hotel in downtown San Diego a day or two ago. There is a conference at the Westin but, I can't afford $175 a night. Of course, most of the other hotels in the Gaslamp or Horton were about as expensive. As I recall, I did look on tripadvisor and found a map that displays hotels in the area. Plus, I was looking at the ratings and one of the top 25 (??) was a hotel not far from the harbor (which is close to the airport) and I think it was about half the price of anything else and had good recommendations. You might check it out. If I am totally off base, you can PM me and I'll give it a second look and let you know.:D

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a good hotel in downtown San Diego a day or two ago.

Try Best Western Cabrillo Garden Inn. We stayed there last summer, Close in. We walked to a baseball game. Very clean. Rooms are a bit small, but good value IMO.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Betty,

I disovered this really cool feature on tripadvisor that makes finding a hotel in an unfamiliar area so easy. Here's what you do:

-go to tripadvisor.com and click on "hotels"

- type in San Diego, CA as your destincation

- at next page, on the right, you will see a small map and below in blue it says "view San Diego hotels on map". Click on this.

- enlarge the map that pops up and you can zoom in and out of areas. The map will have little "pins" locating many different hotels you can consider. Each hotel location will have a number. On the left side of screen will be all the hotels listed by number with rates and contact info. You can also click on each hotels name and get further info.

It's a wonderful feature and I hope it helps.

Just down the street from the airport I saw a Hilton Homewood Suites (I love these hotels) and a Marriott Courtyard. Probably a 2 minute cab ride away!

Cheers,
Janna

fwd1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the Gaslamp Plaza Suites Resort (timeshare) they rent rooms and are reasonable. My sister stayed there and thought it was great.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The hotel I was talking about was OLD TOWN INN which was mentioned in the post right above mine. Good job, Jim!:whoopie: