• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Antonio or New Braunfels

Jerry in NJ

Reaction score
:) We are booked at Wyndham La Cascada in a two bedroom for Spring Break in April. The airfare 4/9 - 4/19 is ending up being more expensive than we thought to fly out on Southwest. We can switch days going 4/11 - 4/21 and get cheaper airfare but the only two bedrooms available are in New Braunfels.
Traveling with our eight year old and try to have her stay in own room when on vacation.

Would not staying on Riverwalk at La Cascada be that bad compared to staying out in New Braunfels? This will probably be our only time going to San Antonio and have never been there.

We would save almost $400 on the air fare and also save the $150 parking fee La Cascada charges.
We could also split it up and do a week at New Braunfels in a 2 bedroom and then a 3 day in a one bedroom at La Cascada. Not sure if that makes sense either. Looking for advice on what to do before we lose the alternative room in New Braunfels.

Thanks, Jerry in NJ

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
:) We are booked at Wyndham La Cascada in a two bedroom for Spring Break in April. The airfare 4/9 - 4/19 is ending up being more expensive than we thought to fly out on Southwest. We can switch days going 4/11 - 4/21 and get cheaper airfare but the only two bedrooms available are in New Braunfels.
Traveling with our eight year old and try to have her stay in own room when on vacation.

Would not staying on Riverwalk at La Cascada be that bad compared to staying out in New Braunfels? This will probably be our only time going to San Antonio and have never been there.

We would save almost $400 on the air fare and also save the $150 parking fee La Cascada charges.
We could also split it up and do a week at New Braunfels in a 2 bedroom and then a 3 day in a one bedroom at La Cascada. Not sure if that makes sense either. Looking for advice on what to do before we lose the alternative room in New Braunfels.

Thanks, Jerry in NJ

Jerry,

This is a tough call because both are great tourist areas and very very popular. But they are very different. In my mind, for an 8 year old, New Braunfels would cater more to kid fun than San Antonio. Here's a link that will give you an idea of what's happening in New Braunfels. http://www.nbcham.org/NBMAPGUIDE.pdf

San Antonio is a large metropolitan area. New Braunfels is an old German town that is having a vibrant economic explosion.

From New Braunsfels, you can do day trips into San Antonio, 30 miles. Austin is about 45 miles, swim in spring fed Barton Springs (brrrrr). There are great outlet malls in San Marcos, about 10 to 15 miles. Canyon Lake is about 20 miles west of New Braunfels. Wimberly is a great town to visit.

If you think that your daughter would want to go to Schlitterbaum, then New Braunfels is the way to go. The WorldMark resort is actually in Gruene (pronounced "green") which is a historic Texas town. However, you don't know when you leave New Braunfels and when you enter Gruene. They run together.

I have been to La Cascada and it is a very very nice resort. The parking is now $15 per day valet. From La Cascada you can easily get to any attractions in San Antonio and in the outlying Hill Country area.

Staying at either resort, you will have to have a car and will be driving all over the general area. Based on your situation and the money you would save, my vote would be for New Braunfels.

Last edited:

Nobylspoon

Reaction score
Is it the Worldmark resort in New Braunfels? I drove down last week to check it out and it was wonderful, ill be making a reservation very soon to stay there.

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it the Worldmark resort in New Braunfels? I drove down last week to check it out and it was wonderful, ill be making a reservation very soon to stay there.

Yes, that is correct. There is a Silverleaf resort at Canyon Lake.

Nobylspoon

Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. There is a Silverleaf resort at Canyon Lake.

Sorry, didn't realize you posted that in your earlier post. I have selective reading :eek:

I would recommend New Braunfels if you are traveling with kids and then a day trip down to San Antonio to check out the River Walk.

There is also a nearby safari like drive-thru zoo nearby that you should consider visiting. http://www.wildliferanchtexas.com/ I'm sure the 8y/o would love that.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I live in Texas and have been to both San Antonio and New Braunsfels. The San Antonio River Walk is great if your main reason to visit is to shop, dine, and see the Alamo. San Antonio is also a major convention center as well. If you want a peaceful vacation with lots of activites for your children, New Braunsfels would be better in my opinion. The drive from New Braunfels to San Antonio is short. You could easily take your kids to Sea World San Antonio or the amusement parks as well.

Jerry in NJ

Reaction score
Thanks to all that answered. Mike I really appreciated your detail and advice and called Wyndham on my lunch. We were able to book the new Worldmark at New Braunfels for our stay. Booked air and car tonight. Will fly into Austin on Saturday April 11 and leave from San Antonio on Monday April 20.

It sounds like we will have to drive a little longer for some of our day trips but other than that we should very much enjoy our stay at the new Worldmark. Also saving over 550 dollars between airfare and parking does not hurt either.

SeaWorld, the Alamo, caverns are on our must do list already. Maybe a boat ride on the river at riverwalk? Always open to suggestions.

Thanks to everyone again,

Jerry in NJ:hi: :hi: :hi:

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
The boat rides are fun!

We love the boat rides, and if you get a humorous guide, they are awesome!

You can even do a dinner cruise if you want.

We go down to the riverwalk about twice a year, and it never gets old.

The San Antonio Zoo was always a favorite of our kids when they were younger . . . and the park right there is nice for a picnic.

Tubing the river in New Braunfels is always fun . . . and COLD!

And speaking of Gruene . . . there is a great family-oriented dance hall that is always loads of fun . . . Gruene Hall. Everybody brings their kids and just dances and has a good ol' southern time. You might look it up and see who's playing there while you are there . . . if you're into that kind of thing?? And some weekends, it is like "market days" where there are lots of vendors selling their crafts and stuff . . . just set up along the streets outside.

And don't forget Restaurant.com has lots of gift certificates for the riverwalk too . . . could save you even more money.

Have a great trip!

jejones3329

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was mentioned in another post but my Grandkids , 7 and 15 loved the animal safari, you drive thru and lots of animals, camels, elks, ostirich , etc. come to the car to be fed. I forget the cost but it seemed high to me as was 5 of us and it is per person instead of by car but it is one of those things that they remember and talk about. You should be able to find coupons on line for it. Schlitterbam is great but not sure if it is open in April. Canyon Lake aera is beautiful. My grandkids enjoyed the riverwalk but the 7 year old got bored pretty quickly. I have not been to seaworld but the grandkids have and loved it. Haver a great trip, Judy

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The new Worldmark is just steps from the historic town of Gruene (pronounced Green). I just submitted a review it should post shortly.

snippet

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You will be there when the wildflowers are blooming hopefully. On your drive to/from San Antonio take a scenic route to see the masses of bluebonnets. New Braunsfels is about 30-45 minutes north of San Antonio, not a bad distance.

Schlitterbahn, SeaWorld, and Fiesta Texas are usually closed during the week, but they should be open on the weekends in April.

April 24th is the Battle of Flowers parade, one of the many parades during Fiesta Week in San Antonio (April 16-24). Be sure to visit the website and find an event you'll like. The parades are fun, and the kids usually love the King William Fair.

Betty

TUG Member
Reaction score
San Antonio Restaurants

Susan,

Which San Antonio restaurants on restaurant.com would you recommend, particularly those on the Riverwalk?

My husband and I are headed there in three weeks for the first time, and don't have a clue which certificates to buy. We like all kinds of food and will definitely want to try Mexican and Italian for sure. Moderate to inexpensive would be the best, but we usually go to at least one more upscale restauant while on vacation, too.

We also plan to visit New Braunfels and Gruene. I'd appreciate any suggestions you or anyone else can offer.

Thank you,
Betty

RIMike

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
San Antonio

Thanks, Jerry in NJ

I have been to both areas....like both areas...but New Braunfels is better in summer when it is hot. The town is famous for a very large waterpark. But in April I doubt it will be warm enough or open for use. San Antonio on the other hand is a great city, full of charm and lots to do around the Riverwalk. The LaCascada is a new property and I am sure it is exceptional as well.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I live in Texas and go to both New Braunfels and San Antonio. The RiverWalk has its advantages if you want the hustle and bustle and shopping. There is no shortage of activities. If you stay in New Braunfels, you can expect more peac and quiet. However, you still have easy access to Sea World and the many other attractions of San Antonio. My personal favorite Texas get aways are Marble Falls and Fredricksburg.

Reaction score
Marble Falls and Fredricksburg

pianodinosaur,

What things to do would you recommend in Marble Falls and Fredricksburg?

Would you give Restaurant recommendations?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The water will be too cold during Spring Break in New Braunfels. The water is cold enough during the summer. San Antonio with all its attractions is a better Spring Break destination IMHO.

txfirewife

TUG Member
Reaction score
pianodinosaur,

What things to do would you recommend in Marble Falls and Fredricksburg?

Would you give Restaurant recommendations?

Here is a list of the local places in Fredricksburg.
http://www.wliinc2.com/cgi/foxweb.dll/wlx/dir/wlxdirecatn?client=FDCC&category=Restaurants

Couple of local favorites
http://www.derlindenbaum.com/
http://www.altdorfbiergarten-fbg.com/

There is a place on one of the corners downtown that is an old style restaurant that is awesome. I don't remember the name of it though. Country something, I think.

On your way to Fredricksburg take a little stop here. Just a nice little hole in the wall. http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/ It is a beautiful scenic drive. The wildflowers and blue bonnets are amazing that time of the year. Enjoy your vacation!!! Make a trip to Gruene while you are in New Braunfels. It is a quaint little place as well. They have several good dining places there as well.

We spend several weekends a year in this area. There is never not enough to do. The problem will be trying to fit in all that you want to do.

Can't wait for your trip report.