• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sam's Club...Why?

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question regarding Costco meats. Are they all huge packages or do they have smaller packs on steaks like BJS does. BJS has packages of 2 to 4 steaks on T-Bones, NY Strips and Ribeyes. I would like to join Costco since its close to my home and be able to use it in Hawaii next year but there is just 2 of us. So huge packs of meats is a waste for us.
They're large cuts of meat, but the package size is pretty reasonable. T-Bones are typically 2-3 per package. Ribeyes and NY Strips are usually 4-6 per package. Filets are usually 3-4 per package. Sirloin really depends on the size of the cuts. They usually have both USDA Choice and USDA Prime. The quality is like you would find from a good butcher (just without the personal service), but the prices are comparable or lower than supermarket prices. For instance, Ribeyes and NY Strips are usually $6-$8 per pound, Filets are about $10-12 per pound. For USDA Prime, Ribeyes and NY Strips are about $12-15 per pound and Sirloin is about $6-8 per pound. Prices may vary around the country (and depending on the beef market), but those are typically what I see (even in Hawaii).

FWIW, Sams is similar on price, quality, selection and sizes, but USDA Prime is less common.

We keep both a Sams and Costco membership because there are some places where there are only Sams (near Branson, for instance -- and those are about 50 miles away, but we stop on the way) and places where there are only Costcos (Hawaii), and places where one is more convenient than the other (like Sams in Orlando) or things that we prefer in one versus the other (like Precooked Bacon at Costco) or things that are quite a bit cheaper in one (like prescriptions at Costco).

geekette

Reaction score
Have never seen a BJ's, but I like Costco vs Sam's. Cleaner, less BS, nicer staff, better selection, etc.

I bought a multi-pack of Press N Seal when it was on sale, so now have a better way of handling the giant packages of meat. First thing I do when I get home is seal 2 each, into a ziploc with contents written, to the freezer.

On many things, Costco beats grocery by a wide margin. not everything, tho, you have to know if it's a deal or not. I appreciate their "cost per" whatever tags like a supermarket has, helps the decision-making.

I have the Amex and the Exec membership so do enjoy getting the rebate check. So far, totally worth it. The money back, the coupons, the gas that's always at least a nickel and sometimes a dime cheaper than elsewhere, very friendly return policies, great staff.

If storage will be a problem, consider going in with another couple. Maybe neither of you need a 6 month supply of TP, but could both maybe store a 3 mo supply. So many items are 2 pack or resealable, making it very easy to be single and still get a great deal without the storage problems.

Currently working on a white aged cheddar block with cranberries in it. oh man ... I always bring something home from the deli area.

Take n bake pizzas, ready to go rotisserie chickens and salads. Plenty of times I have brought home the chicken with a ceasar salad. Healthy, easy, less expensive than grocery, and a huge time saver for me.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going less and less to Costco since we got a Winco here. Winco smokes everybody on many items, about all we still get at Costco now is vitamins and rotisserie chickens.

geekette

Reaction score
BJ's I heard about on Tug, and now Winco! Seems like the "shopping club" concept is growing.

no winco here.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Winco is non membership - more of a super super market - no coupons, just low prices.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think all (BJ', Sam's, Costco) will let you both take a look around w/o a membership (BJ's will let you buy, with a 5% surcharge), and will also refund your membership if you aren't happy.

Jeff

We were on HHI and Sam's Club would not let us do a walk around. We told them we just moved into the area and did not know what Sam's Club was, and they finally let us walk around. I was very disappointed compared to Costco.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In some if not all states, membership stores that sell alcohol have to let people in to purchase the alcohol. Some have a separate store area in front where alcohol is sold. It seems most employees do not know this.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on HHI and Sam's Club would not let us do a walk around. We told them we just moved into the area and did not know what Sam's Club was, and they finally let us walk around. I was very disappointed compared to Costco.

Little surprised by that. It's not like you can buy anything if by yourself. And if you went took the opposite approach: bought a membership, then went int - you can just cancel for a refund if you don't like it.

I do a agree that Costco it probably the best of the 3. I used to have memberships to all 3, but apparently let my membership to Sam's expire over a year ago. Obviously it didn't seem to bother me. BJ's has some more convenient locations to me, and I get a discounted membership thru work, so for now I'm down to just those two clubs.

Jeff