• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Same number of points for fewer nights when exchanging into Wyndham --

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
This is somewhat related to the following thread:

Today I was looking at an RCI exchange for Wyndham La Cascada in San Antonio, TX. I noticed that the stay was only three nights in a one bedroom, but it had the usual number of points for 7 nights, which is 3,400 HGVC points. Also, the exchange fee of $239 was the normal 7 night amount. I contacted RCI through their online chat and asked if this was correct. They said yes, because the unit is coming from the weeks inventory rather than points inventory. The points and fee do not adjust downward in this situation.

On the thread noted above there is mention on post #9 of Wyndham's Bonnet Creek (Disney World) with a similar points situation.

So what is going on with Wyndham's deposits into HGVC? The points requirement that they are now posting is more than double the usual amount per night if you only stay 3 nights. This is definitely something new, and I hope that it fails when they can't get enough nights booked at this price.

@Cyberc What do you think?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
3 and 5 night options are good, but agree that they should not be the same amount TPU as a 7 night stay.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
3 and 5 night options are good, but agree that they should not be the same amount TPU as a 7 night stay.

Not TPU -- I'm only talking about HGVC points.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes I know but on RCI I’ve seen 3 and 5 night stays for same amount as a 7 night stay.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the market works the way it should, those TPU values should eventually go down. For corporate portals (not just HGVC, but all of them) I don't know, b/c those don't fluctuate as much in response to supply/demand.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Those 3 and 5 nights stays are the same point value as 7 night stays and they are midweek stays, they usually omit the weekend.

I too would have expected a lower point / price for less than 7 days, it was for that reason I bailed on any of them.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
That is because RCI has introduced those 3,4 and 5 night stays into RCI weeks inventory. There is no separate agreement for Hilton inventory into shorter stay weeks inventory. So the exchange fee remains $239 and the crossover grid is the same for a full week. If you exchange into actual points inventory through rci both the exchange fee and the HGVC points would be lower. Most of the 3,4, and 5 night stays are Wyndham stays and AI and Mexican resorts. These resorts deposit the smaller (usually non weekend) chunks specifically with a specific start date and end date and usually fall under a separate RCI resort number vs the regular number for the resort.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is because RCI has introduced those 3,4 and 5 night stays into RCI weeks inventory. There is no separate agreement for Hilton inventory into shorter stay weeks inventory. So the exchange fee remains $239 and the crossover grid is the same for a full week. If you exchange into actual points inventory through rci both the exchange fee and the HGVC points would be lower. Most of the 3,4, and 5 night stays are Wyndham stays and AI and Mexican resorts. These resorts deposit the smaller (usually non weekend) chunks specifically with a specific start date and end date and usually fall under a separate RCI resort number vs the regular number for the resort.
I'm just hoping it doesn't become a pattern. It is essentially an increase on the price of an exchange and a devaluation of HGVC points.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I'm just hoping it doesn't become a pattern. It is essentially an increase on the price of an exchange and a devaluation of HGVC points.

I totally agree with you. I believe that you should bring this up to HGVC via input@HGVC.com. If HGVC can't make a deal with RCI for exchange value and cost adjustments they shouldn't offer it to HGVC owners. After all since HGVC is a points system they could easily exchange 3 or 5 nights at an HGVC resort for the Wyndham 3 or 5 night stay. If they feel that they must offer this ridiculously bad value exchange they should add a note that this is an unusual exchange situation that does not represent the normal exchange point value and exchange fee.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Can you please say more? How would one access the correct portal on RCI's website?
"If you exchange into actual points inventory through rci both the exchange fee and the HGVC points would be lower."

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If nothing else, there should be a warning, either on HGVC's site or the RCI landing page.
Not only send an e-mail, but anyone who calls in a booking should mention it.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen the same for 3 or 5 nights units. The points requirements are the same as if I booked 7 nights.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You should be able to see that it is a bad deal without someone else pointing it out or filtering away from your eyes. In general I like having more options even if it isn't something I would not do. If you want a short stay in those resorts but don't want to pay, just ignore them and look for rci points inventory or only look at full weeks. In a way this is no different than being offered Vacation Village at Parkway 1 BR for the same number of points and exchange fee as DVC when you could get a straight rental for less than $300. It's a bad deal Don't use your HGVC points to book it as an exchange.

It's not a separate portal to RCI. There are both weeks and points inventory available to HGVC. Sometimes the only way you can tell (especially if you are booking 7 nights) is by the exchange fee. To make it easier to know for these short stays in rci weeks inventory they put them under different resort codes.

Wyndham Austin - 3 Nights #DM41

Wyndham Austin - 5 Nights #DM42

vs the regular RCI listing
Wyndham Austin #DI56

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I considered booking one these short-weeks for a full-week fee, 'due to location.
But after reading the resorts' reviews, I thought, "It's not a great place, so no."

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If nothing else, there should be a warning, either on HGVC's site or the RCI landing page.
Not only send an e-mail, but anyone who calls in a booking should mention it.
Agreed. It is a very rare situation to be buying something where the price is exactly the same whether you buy 3 units, 5 units or 7 units. :mad:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Agreed. It is a very rare situation to be buying something where the price is exactly the same whether you buy 3 units, 5 units or 7 units. :mad:

It is not unusual for more nights (7 nights via RCI Weeks) to cost less in points and even more often it will have lower total costs when you figure in cleaning fees (often charged on points stays less than 7 days).