• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales Presentation at Grande Vista...thoughts?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I did the sales presentation at Grande Vista this morning. We only agreed because we were checking out of our studio this morning and into a 2BR villa later on, so we had time to kill between checkout/checkin. Plus we got a $300 gift card. I was promised by the guy at Preferred Checkin that it would only take 75 min, even after I told him it ALWAYS goes longer.

Our saleswoman said she is fast and it would only be 60 min. (Never believe a sales person.) We were there 1 hour and 40 minutes.

We own 2 enrolled platinum weeks at MGV (3BR + 2BR) and are Executive level. She offered to sell us 500 points for about $8450 total, explaining how we'd gain access to SO MUCH MORE and inventory with trust points. She mentioned (I forgot what she called it) a way we'd be able to get 6 weeks of vacation for our 2 MGV weeks plus these points. Basically if you book 60 days or less you can get any Marriott timeshare (if it has availability) regardless of location, view, or season, for a fixed amount of points, depending on unit size, which is a fraction of what it would normally cost in points which I didn't know that before. Sorry if I don't have exact details... I didn't take notes and once we went past 75 minutes I was hungry and I lost interest. :ROFLMAO: However, my DH got starry eyed and wanted to take this deal and buy them. I was against it because I don't want points and feel we don't need points. She kept offering to leave us alone so we could discuss it.

I mentioned TUG at one point (I forgot why) and she asked what that was (really?). She asked why I use TUG and I told her it was very informative and I learned a lot. She basically told me I shouldn't listen to people on TUG; that people there don't tell the truth and they're all negative. How would she know if she didn't know what TUG was? Apparently TUGgers aren't in my league because they bought their timeshares for $1 and she said something that made me believe she wasn't referring to Marriott owners so I explained that I only frequent the Marriott forum. Lastly, I should believe her and/or go to a Marriott Facebook page, something with "over 55" in the name (I think that refers to owners with over 5500 points points, but maybe it refers to age?) to get information.

I'd like to get TUGgers opinion on this deal: yay or nay? :shrug: I really didn't have an argument against it other than I don't want points and felt we don't need points. DH seemed upset that I wasn't interested, even when I told him if he wanted the points to go ahead and buy them.

BTW, we're in one of the remodeled units in building 97. They're very nice. Even the barn door! (It only closes the bedroom off from the shower area. There's a separate door into the bathroom.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
An easy "nay".

If you ever really, really need trust points, you can rent them for ~$0.70/point (500 points for ~$350) for the years you need them -- with no capital investment.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really wanted more points, resale points after junk fees are $7/point.
The 60 day thing she was talking about are destination escapes. But not any resort that has availability, but any resort and date that Marriott makes available through escapes.
There are lots of resorts with availability < 60 days but they are not available as an escape. Right now select March days in Branson and Australia are all that is available as an escape.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I hope you said, "Goodbye and thanks for the $300".
That's enough for one day. Pie in the sky promises. Be glad you walked out.

BTW, $8450 and you could get another great resale week at MGV, and REALLY enjoy what that would do.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they were pitching the destination escapes which are a good deal when you can get them and they work for your situation. But they are not the norm for most people and most situation. You do not need points unless you need more points to use specifically for reservations. Even then that might not be the best way to get there for many people.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks everyone! We did not buy points. I asked DH what it was that she said that made him want to buy points. She said that we would not have access to any units in the trust unless we bought points. I told DH we could always rent trust points to gain access, but he claimed (must've been when I wasn't paying attention) that we needed both our legacy points AND trust points in order to gain access. She never mentioned renting points, I'm sure, but he seems to think that we need to own trust points or we won't have access. :unsure:

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Just an aside about The Grande Vista Resort. The last two times I was there they directed me to "preferred check-in". Preferred check-in means you are directed to a side room in the lobby where you sit and wait for a "concierge" to check you in. The real purpose of the preferred status check-in is to sell you MVC and taking a presentation during your stay. From my experience the line at the regular check in the lobby area went much faster as I waited almost 30 minutes to speak to my "concierge". What a bunch of crap. Next time I will politely decline their generous preferred option and stand line with the rest.
You got to hand it to MVC. No opportunity is passed where they are not trying to sell you something. After a 6 hour car ride, the last thing I wanted was the MVC pitch. We are nothing but marks to them.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! We did not buy points. I asked DH what it was that she said that made him want to buy points. She said that we would not have access to any units in the trust unless we bought points. I told DH we could always rent trust points to gain access, but he claimed (must've been when I wasn't paying attention) that we needed both our legacy points AND trust points in order to gain access. She never mentioned renting points, I'm sure, but he seems to think that we need to own trust points or we won't have access. :unsure:
Realistically there is no difference in using trust points and enrolled points. I have not seen a situation in years where it made any difference and doubt I ever will.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
She mentioned (I forgot what she called it) a way we'd be able to get 6 weeks of vacation for our 2 MGV weeks plus these points. Basically if you book 60 days or less you can get any Marriott timeshare (if it has availability) regardless of location, view, or season, for a fixed amount of points, depending on unit size, which is a fraction of what it would normally cost in points which I didn't know that before. Sorry if I don't have exact details... I didn't take notes and once we went past 75 minutes I was hungry and I lost interest. :ROFLMAO: However, my DH got starry eyed and wanted to take this deal and buy them. I was against it because I don't want points and feel we don't need points. She kept offering to leave us alone so we could discuss it.

This is the true part about what she mentioned:

1677207391662.png

However, you don't need trust points to book this. Any type of Abound points work...

Also, as @rthib mentioned, out of the 90+ resorts, the current availability as of today is as follows... The screenshot is 100% of what they show available - I believe they update it weekly and given that it's Feb 23, it's even less than what it appears to be. So you're not missing out on much...

1677207541354.png

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany, SVV
Just an aside about The Grande Vista Resort. The last two times I was there they directed me to "preferred check-in". Preferred check-in means you are directed to a side room in the lobby where you sit and wait for a "concierge" to check you in. The real purpose of the preferred status check-in is to sell you MVC and taking a presentation during your stay. From my experience the line at the regular check in the lobby area went much faster as I waited almost 30 minutes to speak to my "concierge". What a bunch of crap. Next time I will politely decline their generous preferred option and stand line with the rest.
You got to hand it to MVC. No opportunity is passed where they are not trying to sell you something. After a 6 hour car ride, the last thing I wanted was the MVC pitch. We are nothing but marks to them.

I checked out today after a two-night stay. Pretty disappointing. Room had a strong smell of mold. Overall the resort seemed dirty and worn-out. I wouldn’t consider staying there again.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate the preferred check in, and as I have posted elsewhere I’ll never go back to GV because of it. Just came back from Cypress Harbor, incredibly easy check in.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I checked out today after a two-night stay. Pretty disappointing. Room had a strong smell of mold. Overall the resort seemed dirty and worn-out. I wouldn’t consider staying there again.
Wait what! Apparently, you were not in a renovated unit. We were there in September and the new units are a complete remodel. You must have been in the oldest units at the resort, which they are renovating all of them. We're going back next month and can hardly wait to enjoy our 3 bdrm, 3 bath renovated unit. You should have requested to be moved immediately.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wait what! Apparently, you were not in a renovated unit. We were there in September and the new units are a complete remodel. You must have been in the oldest units at the resort, which they are renovating all of them. We're going back next month and can hardly wait to enjoy our 3 bdrm, 3 bath renovated unit. You should have requested to be moved immediately.
They can't give everyone a renovated unit...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany, SVV
I was in building 88. I should’ve asked to change rooms. But the place looked full. The bathroom smelled especially bad. Grande Vista still wasn’t as bad as the nearby Icon Embassy Suites. I stayed there last November. That place was disgusting.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I was in building 88. I should’ve asked to change rooms. But the place looked full. The bathroom smelled especially bad. Grande Vista still wasn’t as bad as the nearby Icon Embassy Suites. I stayed there last November. That place was disgusting.
I'm planning to call the resort for an update on what has been renovated. No, they certainty cannot give everyone a renovated unit until they are all completed, but some people could care less about this and are simply happy to be anywhere. A renovated unit is my first priority no matter where I stay, top floor is second for no running and jumping over my head. You would be surprised at how loud some folks are while on vacation.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to call the resort for an update on what has been renovated. No, they certainty cannot give everyone a renovated unit until they are all completed, but some people could care less about this and are simply happy to be anywhere. A renovated unit is my first priority no matter where I stay, top floor is second for no running and jumping over my head. You would be surprised at how loud some folks are while on vacation.

You'd be surprises how loud folks can be even when they're not on vacation..............

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
To summarize -

Destination escapes are very limited, and you should already have access to the deals.

Trust point inventory and enrolled week inventory are already combined for everyone.

Salesperson either flat out lied (again), or used very deceiving wording to make it seem like you needed to hand money over for either of those.

Also as mentioned, you can buy points for less than 1/2 the cost resale, or rent points for about the price of MF.