• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Safety in Dominican Republic

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I have been interested in taking a trip to the Dominican Republic. However, there has recently been a great deal of publicity about American citizens being poisoned at various resorts. How Concerned should we be about this?

hapatino

Reaction score
Having lived in the Dominican Republic for 20+ years in the 80s and 90s, I would say that it is probably less dangerous than many other tourist destinations in Latin America. That said, tourists should always be careful about where they go and what they eat and/or drink. I would specially caution drinking alcohol from any in room mini bar in any place in Latin America. The region as a whole, suffers from adulterated/counterfeit alcohol that can be deadly and very difficult to identify just by looking at the container. I would also shy away from eating food from any street vendor. As a whole, sanitary conditions are not optimal and (very important) not used to this type of food and condiments, tourists do not have the antibody buildup that the local population probably has that can ward off upset stomachs, and other intestinal problems that can ruin a vacation. Take precautions and enjoy this most beautiful country with very friendly population.

Last edited by a moderator:

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been interested in taking a trip to the Dominican Republic. However, there has recently been a great deal of publicity about American citizens being poisoned at various resorts. How Concerned should we be about this?
Personal safety does not seem to be the issue. Rather, something has been happening with drinks containing alcohol, and a large number of people have died from what seems to be tainted alcohol over the last year. You can google Dominican Republic strange deaths, and you can find a number of recent instances. But as a total percent of tourists, it is likely still a small number. Just a question of your thoughts on the risks.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
This is the problem, no one is taking responsibility for the issues. A politician saying the deaths are a coincidence, all natural causes. Toxicology testing out of service. The evidence points to adulterated alcohol. And there is a lack of security and some evidence that the resort security and staff is involved in some of the assaults and thefts. I've been to DR to resorts 5 times, last time about 5 years ago. Never had a problem, never heard of a problem. Knowing the above I would go back to a high end resort, living off the "resort grid", which is my preferred way now, probably not unless I knew I was renting in a expat neighborhood.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
After to speaking to many Dominicans about this they all say “we aren’t surprised” or “this is why I bring my own alcohol”. Clearly this is a known occurrence. I’ve been to the DR once and would never return. So many nicer islands to visit in the Caribbean.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So many better places. Seriously don’t bother. The beaches are mediocre for the Caribbean, safer destinations are around. I wouldn’t leave the resort. Not to mention every resort, especially in Punta Cana is all the same, right on top of each other. Go to Aruba, Jamaica ohh I wanna take ya to Bermuda, Bahamas, so many other places

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Been to Aruba, Jamaica, Bahamas, Barbados, St Lucia, Sint Maarten, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman, Turks and Caicos. They were all very nice. Bermuda is on our Bucket list.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Been to every island nation in the caribbean EXCEPT for Martinique and Montserrat. I have sailed past Martinique, now I don't know why we did not stop. But Montserrat is obvious for not having much travel, the volcano eruption in 1995 has made the capital city and the south end of the island uninhabitable. They are still far from recovering.

That was the last major eruption in the Caribbean, but these islands are all there because of volcanism, as the Atlantic Plate is being subducted under the Caribbean plate. It will happen again somewhere. The most active has likely been Kick 'em Jenny, a submarine volcano just north of the Grenadines, and the Soufriere in Guadaloupe. https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/carribean.html

There are plenty of nice places to visit in the Caribbean, they are just NOT as cheap as either Cuba or DR.