• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

?s For Someone Who Has No Timeshare Weeks or Points:

scfpgh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
For friends who currently have no timeshare weeks or points, but will be going to their first sale presentation:
What is the best way to get started for a couple who take frequent peak season Marriott hotel vacations, and are already Lifetime Platinum?

Do resale DPs have all the same privileges of MVC direct purchases?

Examples of some good hybrid purchases?

(We have a couple of externally purchased weeks, so don't know that I have the info they need)
TIA

scfpgh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Another hybrid question:
Is there a ratio/formula for how many DP points must be purchase along with a MVC resale?
Could you buy an enrolled week with high DP value and add fewer new DPs? Or is there a balancing point?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
You can do a search for Hybrid and find lots of info on TUG and resale points (where all of the Marriott required fees are paid) currently have all the same privileges as points bought directly from Marriott.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of questions...But I'll take a shot...

First it depends on what you/they mean by peak season vacations. If they have dreams of Maui in whale season, Aruba during President's Week, and Park City during Ski Season then my suggestion would be to keep their money. The same is true if they are unable to plan and book 12 or 13 months in advance.

The exception to this is if they know they want to go to Maui (or Park City) the exact same week every year for the foreseeable future...in which case they should consider buying a fixed week.

That said, resale DPs have all the privileges of DPs bought direct with the caveat that they will have to pay $3/pt (plus minor fees) to MVCI in addition to the seller's price.

As for hybrid purchases, the best hybrid purchase is one where you might actually use the week as a week every two or three years. An educated buyer might find a slightly better hybrid deal than resale DPs (usually because of lower MFs)...but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time purchaser. And the number of DPs you have to buy is a number equal to or greater than the DP value of the week you are buying that is divisible by 250. (Though in what was described as a one time offer, I was offered the purchase of an enrolled MOC week worth 7,475 pts if I also bought 5,000 DPs...YMMV).

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score

First it depends on what you/they mean by peak season vacations. If they have dreams of Maui in whale season, Aruba during President's Week, and Park City during Ski Season then my suggestion would be to keep their money. The same is true if they are unable to plan and book 12 or 13 months in advance.

The exception to this is if they know they want to go to Maui (or Park City) the exact same week every year for the foreseeable future...in which case they should consider buying a fixed week.

That said, resale DPs have all the privileges of DPs bought direct with the caveat that they will have to pay $3/pt (plus minor fees) to MVCI in addition to the seller's price.

As for hybrid purchases, the best hybrid purchase is one where you might actually use the week as a week every two or three years. An educated buyer might find a slightly better hybrid deal than resale DPs (usually because of lower MFs)...but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time purchaser. And the number of DPs you have to buy is a number equal to or greater than the DP value of the week you are buying that is divisible by 250. (Though in what was described as a one time offer, I was offered the purchase of an enrolled MOC week worth 7,475 pts if I also bought 5,000 DPs...YMMV).

We purchased a legacy 3900 Maui beach club with 2250 MVC

scfpgh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
You can do a search for Hybrid and find lots of info on TUG and resale points (where all of the Marriott required fees are paid) currently have all the same privileges as points bought directly from Marriott.
Thank you

scfpgh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach

Good advice, thank you.
They'd be interested in Platinum, but not necessarily Platinum Plus.