• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RV vs. Timeshare

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
I created a video for those people who are/ were looking at buying into timeshares or an RV. I decided based on the analysis in the video. It is one person’s option, but thought others might find it useful. Link to the video is;

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
As someone who lives and travels fulltime in an RV AND still timeshares, I find a lot of his figures to be inaccurate. But the analysis is interesting. We have been RVers for many, many years but before going fulltime we debated whether we wanted to consider increasing our timeshare holdings and going that way. As we already stay for at least two months in Grand Cayman in our timeshare each winter and had quite a few Wyndham points, it wouldn’t be that difficult to do.

However, in the end, the thought of living out of suitcases and packing and unpacking all the time, along with not being able to grocery shop for more than a few days at a time, was a big turn off for us. We can choose to stay at RV resorts just as nice as some timeshare resorts or in the middle of a gorgeous national park. Best of all we have our own bed, bathroom and kitchen with us. Yet when we want to go to Grand Cayman or any other timeshare, we just find a safe place to leave our home and go timeshare! Best of both worlds!

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I also find the numbers a way off. An RV can be had for much less than $200K and likewise a timeshare purchase doesn't need to cost anywhere near $20K. Not everybody needs a top of the line Class A Motorhome to stay full time or extended periods. There are also so many free or next to free timeshares, why would anybody pay $20K to purchase one? With careful research & planning campgrounds don't need to cost close to $50./ night (camp hosts and other sites as well as boondocking offer free or very cheap campsites) and a timeshare maintenance bill can be a lot less than those costs mentioned.

~Diane

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I also find the numbers a way off. An RV can be had for much less than $200K

Actually, he stated RV’s go for $250K to $600K so he used $400K for the RV purchase in the analysis. How many people buy a $400K motorhome?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Actually, he stated RV’s go for $250K to $600K so he used $400K for the RV purchase in the analysis. How many people buy a $400K motorhome?
He was staying so many high numbers I was dazed and confused! Just like a car, people can buy a 1 or 2 year old nice motorhome for a lot less than new dealer price. I think my parents paid about 50% of the new list price on their slightly used motorhome. Many great deals can be found in southern RV resorts when a spouse (particularly the husband) passes away suddenly and they just want to get rid of everything and go back home. We very nearly bought a nearly new big 5th wheel toyhauler a few years ago for just the few thousand that was left on the loan from a friend of my parents in that situation. She was even going to include the golf cart they carried in the back!

-Diane

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I did the financial analysis of motorhome versus timeshare. Both had significant costs. But when I told my wife that if we were dry camping that her 1/2 hour hot showers wouldn't work, that was the end of my analysis... ha ha.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I did the financial analysis of motorhome versus timeshare. Both had significant costs. But when I told my wife that if we were dry camping that her 1/2 hour hot showers wouldn't work, that was the end of my analysis... ha ha.

My wife will camp but she likes our timeshares better. We have or had a large tent with a huge air mattress. I haven't seen the tent or air mattress for a long time. Haven't seen the sleeping bags either.

Bill

Reaction score
Actually, you can buy a gorgeous perfect-working-condition RV for under $100k. You could buy a gorgeous 1991 Bluebird Wanderlodge (diesel) for under $65000. Or a 1997 Fleetwood American Eagle (also diesel) for less than $40000. Unlike a car, the only difference between a 1990s RV and a current one is what is inside the RV. But, I HIGHLY suggest staying away from any diesel RVs made after 2005 (emissions controls are unreliable). Gasoline RVs may be cheaper and the fuel prices may be cheaper per gallon, but diesels are cheaper per mile regardless of per-gallon price. Those above are Class-A (bus), Class-B (van) or Class-C (bed over cab) are other options.

TS

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would never buy an RV but to each his own. My cousin and her husband bought a huge, used one for $100,000 several years ago and did use it a bit, but it sat in their driveway a lot also for various reasons. One good thing it was for was extra space when the kids and grandkids visited from California since she has a small house.

They had a lot of maintenance issues with it costing more money. Then the hassle of booking sites. The gas. Etc. Then they decided they needed a trailer to tow the car. Then they decided it was just too big so now are looking for a smaller one.

To me- just a big hassle. Driving it. The set up. A lot of work. Timeshares just pack a suitcase and go.

jeffox

Reaction score
We've looked at getting a 5th wheel like our parents, but we have many other things that need to be done before we will get one.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I love being outdoors, hiking, walking, golfing and visiting National parks. However, we would not consider buying an RV or a camper. I really enjoy ending the day in a nice comfortable resort. Having said that, our choice would always be timeshares over RVs.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also find the numbers a way off. An RV can be had for much less than $200K and likewise a timeshare purchase doesn't need to cost anywhere near $20K. Not everybody needs a top of the line Class A Motorhome to stay full time or extended periods. There are also so many free or next to free timeshares, why would anybody pay $20K to purchase one? With careful research & planning campgrounds don't need to cost close to $50./ night (camp hosts and other sites as well as boondocking offer free or very cheap campsites) and a timeshare maintenance bill can be a lot less than those costs mentioned.

~Diane
Thanks for the feedback on pricing.... I have to admit that I went to the showrooms to look at the RV's so that is where I got the prices from... I've talked to other people and I am aware you can buy for less … And I didn't include the incentives for the timeshare purchase, so those costs are higher. I am planning to live out of a suitcase starting next month full time (I've done several two month trips). Although I agree with you about having your own bed … I have plans to travel about 20K miles over the next year when I added up the miles (I added extra for some sightseeing). It is unclear if I continue to travel that the 20K number was correct. It was one of the reasons I posted here. I am still working, so having a timeshare worked better for me and I like to take my cousins and kids along when I can.

The biggest decider was when I realized I might have to buy a second RV if I live as long as I hope. I saw some campgrounds priced close to $70 in Palm springs. So again, thanks for a little bit of reality in the pricing. Good to learn from experienced travelers. Curious if your average price is closer to $20?

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My husband and I love being outdoors, hiking, walking, golfing and visiting National parks. However, we would not consider buying an RV or a camper. I really enjoy ending the day in a nice comfortable resort. Having said that, our choice would always be timeshares over RVs.
That was how I ended up as well (pool, Jacuzzi, bed, and weekly cleaning. I really am not mechanical, so if something goes wrong I like the idea of dialing "0". I have a friend who bought an RV and immediately had hail damage. They have owned it for two years and just getting it back from the shop (all the RV's in the area were affected by the hail). There are just as many bad stories about timeshares, but the risk of repairing an RV scared me away.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, you can buy a gorgeous perfect-working-condition RV for under $100k. You could buy a gorgeous 1991 Bluebird Wanderlodge (diesel) for under $65000. Or a 1997 Fleetwood American Eagle (also diesel) for less than $40000. Unlike a car, the only difference between a 1990s RV and a current one is what is inside the RV. But, I HIGHLY suggest staying away from any diesel RVs made after 2005 (emissions controls are unreliable). Gasoline RVs may be cheaper and the fuel prices may be cheaper per gallon, but diesels are cheaper per mile regardless of per-gallon price. Those above are Class-A (bus), Class-B (van) or Class-C (bed over cab) are other options.

TS
I wasn't interested in used RV's. Certainly cheaper... You sound like someone who can deal with repairs. That is just not me. Some people have two left feet and can't dance … I have two left hands and can't repair :cool: .

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first started dating my husband (in my 50s) and it started to get serious, I asked if it was his dream to buy an RV and travel across the country. He said "no" and I told him if he had said yes I would have ended it right then.

Reaction score
Also, if you choose to buy a motorhome (Class A, B, or C), you can get an extended service contract through Good Sam. It is insurance, not a warranty, against part failures. The "Motorhome Gold" covers a lot of parts, just not radiator, hoses, seals, lights, glass, unless it is in the repair of said part both mechanical and inside the RV. There may be better, and I am not sure about any issues with GS, that's just one of the biggest out there. And no, I am not compensated by talking about it.

TS