• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RV timeshare through Holiday Group

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owned an RV

I owned an RV before, and sold it to buy a bigger house. We loved having our RV, and miss it.

However, I would not own this RV timeshare. A few items:

- It's a 30' class C without slideouts. That is exactly what my first RV was. It's a decent camper, but you spend one family vacation in one of these, and you'll be walking all over each other.

- Campers are built inexpensively, and cannot take a lot of wear and tear. Most owners only vacation in them 4-5 times a year, so they don't get a lot of mileage and abuse. I would suspect this would be one tired looking camper, as it is used by RV timeshare owners every week.

- RV's have a tendency to break down in little areas, as it is an entire house on wheels. Not a problem for an owner, and when I owned I was happy to do little fixit projects, such as tightening a water line, replacing bulbs, etc. However, timesharers are going to have no clue how to maintain an RV when they are in the middle of a vacation, and a small fixable problem for an owner becomes a large unfixable problem for an RV timeshare owner.

- Mileage/area restrictions. You'll notice that they have about 4 areas you can vacation with your RV. Want to drive from New England to New Jersey to see a relative for a few days, and then onto DC? Not an option in this situation.

- Annual mf of $400. When you decide this camper does not fit your lifestyle, you will not want to spend $100 a year, let alone $400.

So this might be a good deal if you want to vacation with an RV in three or four specific areas year after year, and you don't mind having a class C with no slide outs as your rig.

What we loved about owning an RV, (and plan on getting one again) is going places all over the country. With our rv we went to DC, Disney World, Williamsburg, Niagara Falls, Maryland sea shore, and Acadia National Park. Incredible family vacations with terrific memories.

RV's are not cheap to own, but if you plan on using them regularly, they are a great way to vacation as a family or a couple.

xujoe

Reaction score
I do not belong to RCI anymore, but when I did, I remember seeing RV's and house boats in there.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's EOY - Don't know if it's 401 every year for maintenance or 401 EOY,

The $ 535 in the header is a transfer fee, which adds as much value as Holiday's flat $ 395 - Those are both parts of the fixed cost it's the ongoing maintenance that will kill you

Unless you live close to one of the four locations adding airfare to the annnual $ 802 makes renting the clear choice

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of trade power it gets. . .

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
No mention of RCI Affiliation in the "Clubs" website . . .

Makes trading difficult

As to Housboats from Redweek the one on Lake Havasu doesn't seem to be in business anymore. MROP has sold theirs, they were limited to owners only so "NO" trade power, due to lake powell restrictions limiting rentals to theur single concessionaire.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rent_Share said:
No mention of RCI Affiliation in the "Clubs" website . . .

The ebay web page says it's RCI affiliated.

taffy19

Reaction score
MULTIZ321 said:
A fractional RV ownership or timeshares on wheels. I like the idea very much but what happens when one of the owners gets an accident? Insurance will go sky high. Too risky for me to think about being a part owner. I would rather pay more and rent a smaller RV and walk away without worry.

TUGgers can buy them on eBay cheap later. ;)

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
iconnections said:
A fractional RV ownership or timeshares on wheels. I like the idea very much but what happens when one of the owners gets an accident? Insurance will go sky high. Too risky for me to think about being a part owner. I would rather pay more and rent a smaller RV and walk away without worry.

TUGgers can buy them on eBay cheap later. ;)

Actually, RV insurance is quite low. Drivers of RV's on the whole have very safe driving records.

The fractional high end rv program has possibiliites, as you are buying anywhere from 5 weeks to 12 weeks, not just one week. You also are buying a much higher end rig that will not restrict your enjoyment. I'm guessing they don't restrict where you go, and allow a certain amount of miles. Going over the allotted miles would be very expensive, IMHO, as a quickly depreciating mh depreciates even more so.

Still, I would bet the mf's would be so high that people would start selling their shares for much less than true value to get out from the maintenance fees.

If you take a $200,000 rig, (40' diesel pusher with slide outs) and then add the upkeep and taxes on that rig, you're getting close to timeshare mf's. Multiply that times 5-12 weeks, you're talking serious money. The rig probably needs to be replaced no less than every 5 years, so that replacement cost has to be included. Assuming the rig is worth about $100,000 at 5 years, that means a loss of $20,000 per year divided by your ownership portion.

So figure $50,000 for an 1/8th share, taxes and upkeep around (wild guess) $400 per week, plus replacement cost of about $400 per week. So an 1/8th share would run you $4000 (again a guess) per year for your 5 weeks after your initial investment (investment used very loosely here).

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
May be I looked at it differently. I have seen this auction before and don't think it's that bad deal at all.

First, Holiday Group is a legitimate resale company. I'm thinking if they are selling it, it's probably legit.

I don't think you can vacation in only 4 places. The way I read it, their club locations are the pickup locations. I live two hours from Orlando so it would be no big deal for me to pick it up there. From there I could drive anywhere I wanted. They do appear to have a limit on mileage but it looks like they have options for that.

This auction is for every other year. That sounds good because I dont think I want to RV every year. M/F are $401 per year. I'm assuming that is also paid every other year. Thats about $200 less than some of my other T/S's.

I checked out Fantasy Holiday RV club previously when I was thinking about them the last time I saw this auction. As I understand it they replace the RV every 5 years. So, if you figure M/F of $401 x 52= $20,852. $20,852 x 4= $104,266. A previous poster said a diesel pusher costs $100,000 or more. I doubt that when they buy a fleet of these they pay anything near this, so M/F more than takes care of purchase.

If these really would cost me $100,000 to purchase, I think I could swing $401 every other year to use it for a week. Even if I doubled it buy buying extra mileage and insurance it's still a deal. Have you ever tried to rent one of these? I just Googled RV Rentals and picked one. Here is a link to a place that rents these. http://www.adventuretouring.com/index.htm I picked a late April week with a Florida pick up. No extra mileage or insurance. Price was almost $1000 for a week for a Class C unit.

For this auction, purcahse price is $1. Buy it Now $2. They are obviously not making any money here. I guess thats why they have a $535 transfer fee. Holidays resale fee of $395 includes closing, thats a fair price.

I am sure they make plenty on additional insurance purchase and mileage purchase they mention in their ad. Add that resort transfer fee to their income and they probably do OK.

Of course you hae to enjoy this type of vacationing, this size RV, and probably be able to do some simple maintenance yourself while your on the road, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Just my opinion.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
wcfr1 said:
As I understand it they replace the RV every 5 years. So, if you figure M/F of $401 x 52= $20,852. $20,852 x 4= $104,266. A previous poster said a diesel pusher costs $100,000 or more. I doubt that when they buy a fleet of these they pay anything near this, so M/F more than takes care of purchase.

I hope they do get a big discount for fleet purchases, because you have no maintenance or insurance costs included in your calculations

wcfr1 said:
Holidays resale fee of $395 includes closing, thats a fair price.

I actually thought the $395 was a big rip off. I mean we're not talking about real property here- just a motor vehicle department- no lawyers, etc etc

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
DonM said:
I actually thought the $395 was a big rip off. I mean we're not talking about real property here- just a motor vehicle department- no lawyers, etc etc

There's no negotiation on that, that's the house cut (Minimum / Cover Charge) and then there's some split beteen the salesman and Holiday (The House) of the auction proceeds

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could not exchange for one

Some years ago when my son graduated from Florida State in Tallahassee we thought it might be fun to fly into Orlando, Visit the mouse for a few days and take an RV to Tallahassee with grandkids. However when I called RCI they would not even search for one, saying the quality of my resort would make me expect too much. I don't own a fancy resort and offered to sign a release but no go. I don't recall ever seeing an exchange or extra vacation for an RV. Still think it might be fun. I really would not be expecting a three BR with a pool. Yours, Jim

Last edited:

cclendinen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owner of two FCH weeks.

:eek: I own two weeks one is an EOY. This is a Vacation Club RTU. The one on ebay is an EOY that expires in 2035, so it may have 15 years left. I say “may have”, because FHC allows you to accelerate your usage by prepaying the maintenance up to 3 weeks a year.

There are lot of addition charges, insurance, cleaning fees, mileage, generator charges and a Florida tax. However, the cost of maintenance and additional fees is still cheaper than renting an RV. The RVs are all “Class C” Canadian manufactured and most are in kilometers. The age is from new to as much as seven years old and they are not traded out every five years as advertised. The newer ones have the slide out rooms. There is about 10 RVs total in the Club.

FHC no longer trades with RCI because they lost their location in Orlando (actually Clermont) and could not keep their obligations, so RCI suspended them. They still show up in the RCI directory but the president of FHC has no plans to be part of RCI any more. They are currently stored in Plant City, Florida, which is closer to Tampa then Orlando. The club is looking for a new location and it is possible they could relocate to south Florida. They advertise locations of Orlando, Las Vegas, Calgary and Niagara Falls. They have never had any presence in Las Vegas and 2005 was the first year in Niagara Falls. The headquarters is in Toronto and the “club” is a Canadian not-for-profit. There is no HOA and members have no say in the management at all. In the winter all the RVs are in Florida and are moved to Calgary or Niagara Falls based on member demand. When they exchanged through RCI they were very popular in the winter for those that wanted the Florida Keys.

The maintenance for 2006 was $513.64 US and $401.25 in 2005. When I bought my weeks (also from Holiday a two different times) the transfer was $350.00 (very expensive since all they do is print a new certificate with your name) and for my last purchase it took over 1 year to get the paper work back to me. I would check with FHC on the current cost of transfer. Holiday group had it listed wrong when I purchased and I had them correct it. You can get the “contract #” from Holiday and call FHC Toronto and verify the time remaining on the membership.

The FHC just opened a new resort in Niagara Falls, Canada all 2BR town homes. Currently you can trade you RV week for one of these, but I don’t know if this is guaranteed for the future. They said the new resort will trade with RCI but it is not in the directory.

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. Was that $401 per year for the EOY or $401 a year for an annual?

Thanks again.

Scott

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
cclendinen said:
:eek: I own two weeks one is an EOY. a year.

There are lot of addition charges, insurance, cleaning fees, mileage, generator charges and a Florida tax.

Can you provide estimates/averages ?

FHC no longer trades with RCI ......

This confirms my earlier statement of no RCI on "the clubs" website

The maintenance for 2006 was $513.64 US and $401.25 in 2005.

Since you own both EOY and Anuual is 513.64 paid annually or every other year ?

When I bought my weeks (also from Holiday a two different times) the transfer was $350.00 (very expensive since all they do is print a new certificate with your name) and for my last purchase it took over 1 year to get the paper work back to me. I would check with FHC on the current cost of transfer. Holiday group had it listed wrong when I purchased and I had them correct it. You can get the “contract #” from Holiday and call FHC Toronto and verify the time remaining on the membership.

Just part of he built in cost of dealing with them

Thanks in Advance

cclendinen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fhc is closing Florida

I head today that they are going to pull the RVs out of Plant City, Florida and are moving them to Calgary and Nigaria Falls.