• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rude elevator passengers

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
While staying at a timeshare in NYC, we were riding the elevator down. It was a busy morning as it stopped on several floors. People wearing masked boarded and it got quite full.

When we got to the 6th floor, a maskless couple (with a large obese woman) pushed their way onto the already full elevator.

My DH observed that the man had a smirk on his face like "We are getting our way."

Even in normal times pushing their way on to an already full elevator would be considered rude.

IMHO... The lack of masks put these clods over the top given there is an indoor mask requirement. I looked around the elevator and we were not the only ones that looked uncomfortable with their presence.

Should we have said something or prevented them from boarding? How could these people be so clueless as to etiquette and common courtesy?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep bringing up the differences, but in Europe, signs on elevators said, "Capacity- Two People or one family" But clods are gonna be clods.

Why couldn't someone have simply said, "Sorry. Full". and push the 'door close' button?

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
If people are that rude, there's no way of knowing what you're dealing with.

Recently a woman was kicked down an escalator by someone because she said "excuse me" as he passed.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Maybe they were from Boston. Cliff lived several years there and says there is always room for a couple more people on an elevator, bus etc. Thankfully years of living in California has given him a broader sense of personal space, but when I first met him I thought him pushy at elevators and airport buses.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I would have gotten off-we had this happen in May when in Orlando (noticeably from the cheer moms at Bonnet Creek) and I would just grab my kids and get off. It sucked…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm usually one to say something, but in a nice way. Sorry, full I will send it back to this floor for you. But, in today's world there seems to be a lot more angry people around and you just don't know what their reaction will be. And since I usually have my kid around, I bite my tounge.

I will say though that for all my travels lately, I have been requesting a low floor room for this reason. Probably pretty hard in NYC though. Have a given up a view, probably, but not worth the elevator aggravation to me.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why this stuff even rates a post. It has happened since elevators were invented. I see it on Facebook all the time too. A gal had to diss a couple who didn't make a donation to a kids' team asking for money at a grocery store. The thread stretches on ad infinitum with people passing on the negativity. The kids probably forgot about the couple's response immediately, if they were even aware of it. Nothing can change the elevator behavior. It is over and everyone in there has gone on with their lives.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
It happens so often any more...."political correctness" "kindness" "common curtesy" "politeness"......whether it's a meeting, an elevator, a tour boat, a plane......SO many of these places will have signs posted to wear a mask....but there is almost ALWAYS those who feel they are an exception to the rule.......(and frankly I don't think i would confront anyone anymore nor expect the minimum wage employee to put their life on the line to even request nicely that someone follow the rules).....the US has become a scary place - when was the last time you honked your horn at someone?.....I NEVER do...I live in the bible belt south, I dare say most of these confederate cowboys have a gun in their car.

lisa1001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently on a trip to the Dr Office in a building of just dr offices and labs and a building wide mask mandate. a maskless man got on the elevator with me and another masked women. I just walked off but the other women went a bit crazy on him and kind of kicked him off the elevator. I was surprised that the man just walked away.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Something kind of like this happened when we were at Hyatt Coconut Plantation. Keep in mind there are NO signs about masks or limits of the number of people in the elevator. We were there with my in-laws. We were walking up to the elevator and an older guy was there waiting (he wasn't wearing a mask). When the doors opened, he walked in and another couple walked up. Us being four weren't going to get on, so we waived the other couple through. The older guy proceeded to get off and the elevator left with just the couple. He complained that it was only one family or person per elevator (that wasn't shown anywhere). I would also think if he was that concerned, he should have been wearing a mask. Anyway, we had to wait for him to go up before we were able to. No big issue, just odd that he made such an issue about it where there are no signs and he wasn't wearing a mask himself.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people are just rude. They only care about themselves and their actions.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I keep reminding myself that karma is a B.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If I was feeling snarky, I woulda said,
"You might want to wear a mask 'cuz I'm about to pass some stinky gas."
But more likely, I'd just mutter: "How rude."
/

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
During a hotel stay a few weeks ago, another unmasked guest asked if he could join my family on the elevator. I responded we preferred not since they weren't masked. They complied and waited for the next elevator. While I would have preferred they were wearing a mask, I can't fault them on their elevator etiquette. It was a very civilized interaction all around.

I hope we can find ways so that our interactions are civil during disagreements. Ultimately we all have to figure out how to get back to basically getting along with each other and doing things for the common good. That applies to more than just Covid. Off SoapBox....

--Jon

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
During a hotel stay a few weeks ago, another unmasked guest asked if he could join my family on the elevator. I responded we preferred not since they weren't masked. They complied and waited for the next elevator. While I would have preferred they were wearing a mask, I can't fault them on their elevator etiquette. It was a very civilized interaction all around.

I hope we can find ways so that our interactions are civil during disagreements. Ultimately we all have to figure out how to get back to basically getting along with each other and doing things for the common good. That applies to more than just Covid. Off SoapBox....

--Jon
This is another reason we typically take the stairs (plus exercise helps justify eating what we want). The elevator is typically the only time we will be indoors at a resort, so we don't have to bring a mask if we don't ride the elevators. One less thing to remember.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep bringing up the differences, but in Europe, signs on elevators said, "Capacity- Two People or one family" But clods are gonna be clods.

Why couldn't someone have simply said, "Sorry. Full". and push the 'door close' button?
I was at a clinic today and there were 2 of us on this average size elevator. It stopped on 2nd floor and two people wanted to get on. No masks . I said there's a pandemic , please wait for next elevator and I pressed close doors.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
While staying at a timeshare in NYC, we were riding the elevator down. It was a busy morning as it stopped on several floors. People wearing masked boarded and it got quite full.

When we got to the 6th floor, a maskless couple (with a large obese woman) pushed their way onto the already full elevator.

My DH observed that the man had a smirk on his face like "We are getting our way."

Even in normal times pushing their way on to an already full elevator would be considered rude.

IMHO... The lack of masks put these clods over the top given there is an indoor mask requirement. I looked around the elevator and we were not the only ones that looked uncomfortable with their presence.

Should we have said something or prevented them from boarding? How could these people be so clueless as to etiquette and common courtesy?
Just say excuse me and get off , wait for next one. It's your safety! Another way to respond as I just had an incident today. Funny, on Portugal, people say go ahead, I'll catch next one. People aren't as willing to be crowded in.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
When we were in Hawaii, a gentleman stepped on the elevator with a toddler and my sister blurted, "Oh no! we don't want to infect the baby with Covid!" The guy literally jumped out of the elevator with the baby and said, "You have Covid!?!" and my sis answered, "Maybe. We don't know but want to keep the child safe." He waited. :D

re: jumping off. This happened so quickly. I didn't think about jumping off because we ride so few elevators where we live. It bothers me that their selfish actions cause me to adjust my behavior and these clods get their way even though it is in violation of the rules.

Last edited: