• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RTC like entity being proposed?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
[David - If you have a problem with a moderator, please email them privately. If that doesn't resolve it, please email TUGBrian. - DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
David,
I think if implemented correctly it could be a big help. I've been in the mortgage business for a long time and remember the S&L bail out well. I guess I'd rather see the government support it in this manner rather than let these companies go under. In the end, the mortgage and securities business will come back and will be very profitable.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think companies that behaved badly should suffer the consequences and their shareholders should suffer the consequences, but no matter what, we're still left with a bunch of bad debt on the books and foreclosed properties and that all has to be dealt with. That's what the RTC did. If anything it would help with the liquidity crisis.

-David

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is that some banks out there did their work and raised capital when it was still available. The ones that didn't are the ones that are hurting and need this. The capital is all dried up. Now with the bailout the gov't is helping those that dragged their feet. Should we be paying for this inaction?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we have no idea what the proposal is yet, it's too early to call it a bail out, IMO.

Financial institutions that gambled with their investors money should pay the price for what they did. But at some point the bad debt has to be removed from the books in order to get out of the liquidity crisis. A long term liquidity crisis will be far worse than anything else.

When we did the RTC, weaker institutions were either closed or merged into stronger insitutions. Right now, it doesn't appear there are all that many strong institutions.

I'm interested in seeing what they come up, if they come up with anything. I'm sure there will be arguments on both sides of it.

-David

Last edited: