• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Sands rating

gcole

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at the Royal Islander before. I now have a 2 bdr unit at the S:cheer: ands next feb. How does it stack up to the Islander?

kathyth12

Reaction score
Compared to the Royal Islander, the Royal Sands is newer and it's much larger and more upscale in decor. It's laid out in two "phases", two large loops, each with pool. Phase 1 has the large infinity pool shown in most of the photos, while Phase 2 has a smaller free-form pool similar to the Islander's pool. The beach is more easily accessible from the pool area, down only a few stairs from the Phase 1 pool, and down a longer staircase from Phase 2, but certainly not as far as four stories from the pool level as it is at the Islander. The villas are the same size as the Islander's and have the same layout, but with different decor. The Sands has a larger mini market, a large boutique, and a large sports bar in the lobby. And it has a fabulous spa. There is only one indoor restaurant, La Veranda (food is so-so), and one outdoor grill for lunch, Char-Hut, by the Phase 2 pool. However, the Hacienda Sisal restaurant is just across the parking lot, and the Sands is located within walking distance to other local restaurants and to shopping malls.

If you liked the Islander, you will enjoy the Sands, although prefering one over the other is just a matter of personal taste. I really love the Sands, and would recommend it to anyone. But I prefer the Islander just a bit more. I like the intimacy and the casualness of the smaller resort. But that's just me. And, having said that, if I had a chance to go to either resort right now, I'd be packed in five minutes! So enjoy yourself!

jschmidt

Reaction score
The pool chairs at the Sands are placed in three and four row configurations. If you like sitting on a ships deck, you will feel right at home!

The chairs at the tri-Royal pools are in a single row.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The towels on the chairs may be a big more stacked up.

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the Royal Mayan, one of the tri-royals and the Royal Sands. We love both, but would choose the Royal Sands over a tri-royal. It does have a more upscale feel due to the fact it is newer and I think it just has more of an overall wow factor. February at the Royal Sands would be fantastic in my opinion.

Sue

jspang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Compared to the Royal Islander, the Royal Sands is newer and it's much larger and more upscale in decor. It's laid out in two "phases", two large loops, each with pool. Phase 1 has the large infinity pool shown in most of the photos, while Phase 2 has a smaller free-form pool similar to the Islander's pool. The beach is more easily accessible from the pool area, down only a few stairs from the Phase 1 pool, and down a longer staircase from Phase 2, but certainly not as far as four stories from the pool level as it is at the Islander. The villas are the same size as the Islander's and have the same layout, but with different decor. The Sands has a larger mini market, a large boutique, and a large sports bar in the lobby. And it has a fabulous spa. There is only one indoor restaurant, La Veranda (food is so-so), and one outdoor grill for lunch, Char-Hut, by the Phase 2 pool. However, the Hacienda Sisal restaurant is just across the parking lot, and the Sands is located within walking distance to other local restaurants and to shopping malls.

If you liked the Islander, you will enjoy the Sands, although prefering one over the other is just a matter of personal taste. I really love the Sands, and would recommend it to anyone. But I prefer the Islander just a bit more. I like the intimacy and the casualness of the smaller resort. But that's just me. And, having said that, if I had a chance to go to either resort right now, I'd be packed in five minutes! So enjoy yourself!

This might be the best description yet! You will enjoy the Royal Sands and most likely visit the others during your stay. Have fun!

gcole

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it had two phases each with a pool. Are their any units we should avoid? No view ect.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
All units are good, and you will not have a choice.
The Royals are all fixed-week/fixed-unit, meaning that only the specific units that owners deposited are available for exchangers.

You are already pre-assigned a specific unit through Interval International (check under history on intervalworld.com).

That might be changed once you get there - they might be doing maintenance on that unit, or another exchanger who got there before you asked for a change - but you'll probably be in the one you were assigned.

Once you find it under history, then go to mexicondo.com and look on the maps. Maps are also on royalresorts.com, but I think the Mexicondo ones are easier to enlarge on screen.

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed in the unit I had in Phase I Royal Sands this past year. It was mildewy smelling. When I got home, I had to spray my suitcases with Febreeze - that's how lingering the mildew smell was.

In the past, we had stayed at Phase II Royal Sands and did not have that problem - although it was before Wilma.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our unit is in Phase I, and we have never had a mildow smell. Not sure why Jo-Jo had that problem. We have been going to the Sands since it opened in 2000, and never had any issues.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed in the unit I had in Phase I Royal Sands this past year. It was mildewy smelling. When I got home, I had to spray my suitcases with Febreeze - that's how lingering the mildew smell was.

In the past, we had stayed at Phase II Royal Sands and did not have that problem - although it was before Wilma.

jo-jo - did you contact the front desk or maintenance about the smell? We have never experienced that problem, but have always found maintenance extremely responsive about whatever little issues have existed.

If the previous occupants left the doors open, the A/C can't fight all that humidity from outside. This summer we arrived to find a crew working on our oceanfront villa - just about everything was being aired out or replaced, people were reinstalling grilles over the vents, etc - apparently they were either curing or dealing with a moisture issue, and it was successful, because we never detected the problem!

jasm

Reaction score
Last year, in our villa in Phase II, the lock-off bedroom had a mildewy smell. This was the first time we had experienced that. We called housekeeping, and they installed a ionizing air cleaner which helped. Upon further investigation, we realized the smell was coming from the large wicker rocking chair in the bedroom. We surmised that a previous guest had used it on the balcony and it got wet from humidity or rain. We asked housekeeping to replace the chair, and voila! Problem solved.