• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Resorts Cancun Mexico

Lfg123

Reaction score
We own at the Aruba Surf Club, my sister in law just returned from the Royal Islander and we are going there Christmas Week. She said it was clean but the lobby and facilities do not compare to the Surf Club. She suggested we try to switch to the Omni Cancun or the Royal Haciendas in Riveria Maya????

She said there was no laundry facilities???

Thanks,

Lee

Bill4728

Reaction score
I don't know anything about this resort other than it has been rated in the top ten resorts in the world by Tuggers for many years.

I believe that your SIL experence at the resort was completely out of the ordinary for the resort.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Aruba Surf Club, my sister in law just returned from the Royal Islander and we are going there Christmas Week. She said it was clean but the lobby and facilities do not compare to the Surf Club. She suggested we try to switch to the Omni Cancun or the Royal Haciendas in Riveria Maya????

She said there was no laundry facilities???

The Royals do have laundry facilities - there are laundry rooms in the lobbies where you can either do it yourself or drop it off and tip the attendant to do it.

I don't know about the Surf Club. Much of the appeal of the Royals is the staff and friendly comfortable welcoming atmosphere. Everything is clean, attractive, and in good repair, though are resorts that may be more upscale in terms of decor (e.g. granite vs formica, flat-top stoves vs coils). The two newer Royals, the Royal Sands in Cancun and the Royal Haciendas in Playa Del Carmen, have more upscale furnishings and lobbies.

I've stayed at the Omni in Cancun - it's nice, but has more of a hotel atmosphere vs a warm family atmosphere.

Blue Skies

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal Islander is not as upscale as the Aruba Surf Club. The only Royal Resort that would compare would be the Royal Haciendas, the newest of the Royals.

The Cancun Royal Resorts are well-maintained and nice, and are known for their service-oriented employees. But they are not as fancy as the newer Marriotts. In Cancun, the Royal Sands would probably be the most elegant, but it does not have granite counters in the kitchen, for example.

The Royal Haciendas is very new (one phase is still under construction) and has all the bells & whistles. The drawback to this resort is that it is located in an undeveloped area north of Playa del Carmen. In time, there will be a golf course near by, along with shopping and restaurants. For the time being, there is a free shuttle provided by the Royal Haciendas to/from Playa del Carmen, but it ends at 6:00 pm, so a taxi ($10) would be needed to return to the resort later in the evening. It is a beautiful resort with nice pools and beach.

In Cancun, there is a great public bus system that will take you anywhere, easily, for about 65 cents per person per ride. The advantage to Cancun is that many restaurants, clubs, and shopping are just a bus ride away.

We have never been to the Omni, so can't comment on that resort.

If you adjust your expectations and go to the Royal Islander not anticipating the upscale decorating of the Surf Club, you will probably enjoy your trip. Most exchangers are very satisfied with their stay. The pool is not as extensive, no lazy river, no jacuzzi, but it is not nearly as crowded as the Surf Club either.

Here is the Royal Islander web page with information on the villas, resort and a photo gallery:

http://www.royalresorts.com/the-royal-islander.asp

Another new timeshare resort that recently opened in Cancun is the Westin Lagunamar. I don't know about the difficulty of exchanging into that resort since it is so new.

You can read reviews of all these resorts at www.tripadvisor.com

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you adjust your expectations and go to the Royal Islander not anticipating the upscale decorating of the Surf Club, you will probably enjoy your trip. Most exchangers are very satisfied with their stay. The pool is not as extensive, no lazy river, no jacuzzi, but it is not nearly as crowded as the Surf Club either.

Note that once you are at the Royal Islander, you can use the facilities of all the Royal Resorts - the Islander is part of the Tri-Royals, with the Royal Islander, Royal Caribbean, and Royal Mayan connected by walkways. The Royal Caribbean has the largest network of pools of the three resorts, and the Royal Mayan's pools include a waterfall area that is pretty. Besides the pictures on royalresorts.com, there are a lot of pictures on mexicondo.com.

At the Tri-Royals you will have five restaurants, three mini markets, three pool bars, several other bars to choose among, as well as a small gym, three big sun decks, massage cabanas on the sundecks, and a long stretch of beach. Again, these resorts are not upscale in terms of jacuzzis and granite counters and similar bells and whistles - but in terms of comfort, service, and atmosphere, they are top-notch.

You can also take a free 10 minute shuttle to the Royal Sands to check out its restaurants and very nice spa, and you will be able to arrange for a ride to the Royal Haciendas for a tour - you'll likely be treated to a brunch or lunch buffet and after a tour and a low-pressure pitch (they understand the words "no thanks") you can spend the rest of the day snorkeling right off the beach (free equipment is available at the sports desk by the pool).

Lloydwa1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would cross your SIL off my trusted reference list. Nothing wrong with the Omni but it would be a step down from any royal Resort. I wonder what she was drinking or smoking on her visit.
Lloyd

AArbittier

TUG Member
Reaction score
She is RIGHT !!! I have been to both. My friends own at the SURF and my sister owns at the ISLANDER. THERE IS NO COMPARISON !! The Islander WINS hands down !!!
Aron

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at the Royal Islander, royal Sands, ROyal Caribbean , ROyal Mayan, VCI AND the Aruba Beach Club. I put any of the Royals at the top of the list, and the Marriott in Aruba slightly below them. ONe of the main reasons is that the Marriotts service doesn't even come close to what you get at the Royals in Cancun.

Don't even think about changing from the Islander to the Omni. Not even close to the same caliber.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Islander and just returned from a week there. We also own 3 Marriott timeshares and stayed at the Aruba Surf Club last Feb. Marriott does not even come close to the family feel of the Royals even tho they have granite counters, flat top stoves and more upscale furniture. The Royals are an entirely different timeshare experience and one I wish Marriott would try to emulate. Go the any of the Royals and experience a true feeling of WELCOME.

jschmidt

Reaction score
The Royals are an entirely different timeshare experience and one I wish Marriott would try to emulate.

Well put! We went on a one week "Get-away" to a Marriott this year and that was the very thought I tried to express to the Marriott on their comment card.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Islander and just returned from a week there. We also own 3 Marriott timeshares and stayed at the Aruba Surf Club last Feb. Marriott does not even come close to the family feel of the Royals even tho they have granite counters, flat top stoves and more upscale furniture. The Royals are an entirely different timeshare experience and one I wish Marriott would try to emulate. Go the any of the Royals and experience a true feeling of WELCOME.

Well put! We went on a one week "Get-away" to a Marriott this year and that was the very thought I tried to express to the Marriott on their comment card.

Agreed - but it's hard to explain the difference - it's intangible.

It also might be a two-way phenomenon; that is, those of us who go there year after year feel a part of the Royals. We know that whatever maintainence or extra we need or whatever we want to order that isn't on the menu will be ours with a smile. It's all reinforced by seeing the same staff every year and being recognized by them and even having our favorites remembered by the waiters and maitre d'. Those who only go once may not experience the same feeling :shrug:

Last edited:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 3 wks at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, 1 wk at Marriott's Surfwatch, 2 wks at the Royal Sands and 1 week at the Royal Haciendas. I have always said that I love my Royal weeks far better than my Marriott weeks. At the Royals you have Daily maid service, use of 6 resorts, many restaurants and a staff that is far superior to the staff in Aruba. The spa and gym at the Sands is FAR better than the one at the Surf Club. Unless you only stay at a Ritz, 4 Seasons, or any other exceptional hotel I would stay at the Islander.
Finally I would never stay at the Omni---lots of teens minus adults.