• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rose Bowl moves to Texas due to California's COVID-19 restrictions

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This means that there will be some 20,000+ fans in the stands in Arlington which is 20,000 more than would have been at Pasadena...

George

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Now if Notre Dame will be left out in the cold, a perfect ending!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sure hope they're not planning to still call it the Rose Bowl.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Because Texas and Yellow Rose have none of the history of the Rose Bowl.
And isn’t as beautiful a setting! I understand why they did it and fully agree with the decision. However, if this were a normal year and we would be attending, DW and I would be very disappointed. The Rose Bowl and Pasadena are beautiful. Jerryworld is a very nice stadium with great amenities but it sits in the middle of.... nothing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
And isn’t as beautiful a setting! I understand why they did it and fully agree with the decision. However, if this were a normal year and we would be attending, DW and I would be very disappointed. The Rose Bowl and Pasadena are beautiful. Jerryworld is a very nice stadium with great amenities but it sits in the middle of.... nothing.
I never attended the Rose Bowl game but did go to the parade many years when I was a child. My grandparents lived on Orange Grove Blvd and we would camp out at their house. Made it nice to have access to a bathroom and a warm place to sleep. :D

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I never attended the Rose Bowl game but did go to the parade many years when I was a child. My grandparents lived on Orange Grove Blvd and we would camp out at their house. Made it nice to have access to a bathroom and a warm place to sleep. :D
We’ve been to Pasadena twice. Alabama played UCLA during the regular season in 1999 or 2000 and then played Texas in the championship game there in 2010. We spent a week in the area both times and loved it.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
that would be one heck of a long parade route from the specialized warehouses where the floats are built.
The Parade was cancelled awhile back. It takes many months of planning to build the floats. It was determined to be too risky as these floats are built by volunteers spending extended time together inside.

DW lived in La Cañada a couple of years when she was in high school. She did some work creating the floats.
If the sun isn't setting over the Arroyo Seco at halftime, it's not the Rose Bowl. It's just another football game.
I grew up in Minnesota in the 1960s. I've always thought that the Rose Bowl was one of the big factors in the migration to California that occurred during that time. In the Upper Midwest, it would be New Years Day, and everyone would see the Rose Parade, followed by the Rose Bowl. While we shivering in the snow and cold, we would see people walking around in shorts and shirt sleeves. There would be the obligatory shots of the Rose Bowl, with the snow-capped San Gabriel Mountains in the background. The vegetation would be lush, with vegetation in bloom. If you had relatives in California, as we did, they would often send a gift basket of fresh citrus (navel oranges and grapefruit) as a Christmas present.

And, logically, you would wonder what the heck am I doing here instead of there?

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I took my boys years ago to the parade. An aunty mentioned she had tickets and I thought sounded like fun. We stayed with my bachelor brother who was hosting a NYE party. That was tough getting my kids to bed, but totally worth it!

Got up at the crack of dawn (or maybe before) to drive across town on the empty freeway. Seeing those floats in person is THE BEST!
It's an event I'd do again :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I took my boys years ago to the parade. An aunty mentioned she had tickets and I thought sounded like fun. We stayed with my bachelor brother who was hosting a NYE party. That was tough getting my kids to bed, but totally worth it!

Got up at the crack of dawn (or maybe before) to drive across town on the empty freeway. Seeing those floats in person is THE BEST!
It's an event I'd do again :)
I grew up in the 50's and 60's. Back then our parents would let us roam the street and see all of the floats up close at night. I'm sure we got some sleep, but I'm also pretty sure we'd take advantage of that freedom. My grandparents were in a two bedroom apartment at that time (I think). It was usually our family of 4 and at least one or two other families camping out. We'd have sleeping bags all over the place. I doubt anyone got a really good night's sleep. We probably did this every year until my grandparents moved from that apartment.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We went to the Rose Parade a few years ago. It was the most organized event we ever saw. We had great seats we drove from Las Vegas to Pasadena with a stop overnight halfway. It was really fun.
would do it again if it was in Pasadena. We didn’t go to the football game.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We were always up on New Years morning to watch the parade (more than once I remember eating stale potato chips that had been leftover from my parents NYE parties when I was young, lol). It was a tradition that I then passed on to my kids. In 2000 and 2006 my kids were able to march in the parade (daughter #1 in 2000 and #2 &#3 in 2006) with their high school band. It poured buckets in 2006 so much that their pant legs were sudsy from dry cleaning soap? after marching 7 miles in the rain
:D. Those were some great memories. This year it will be just another day. Oh well.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
One of my favorite stories about the parade is one my bff told me. Her high school boyfriend, who was in band, was one of many students used to pad the USC marching band.