• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room view question at crystal shores

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Hello, never stayed here before and have a room question. It is showing 3 different options for the 3 bedroom room, one is blank for the view at 1500 pts, island side for 1625 pts and poolside lower floor for 2000 pts.
My question is what's with the blank view for the cheapest....just whatever they assign you? Better to go with that for lower points than the island side as island side would be the worst view I’m guessing. Thank you

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually own at Crystal Shores but was using points to extend a reservation. I noticed the same thing and was told the “blank” room type is one of the lower floors on island side. So pretty much a view of access road, public beach access, and the Hilton next door. Island view is higher floors on that side. So may not be much difference in view between highest floor in the “blank” type and lower in island view type. Poolside lower is of course on the other side of building.
Just an FYI - Gulf front, Gulf side, and Gulf view are all in the front (original building).

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I actually own at Crystal Shores but was using points to extend a reservation. I noticed the same thing and was told the “blank” room type is one of the lower floors on island side. So pretty much a view of access road, public beach access, and the Hilton next door. Island view is higher floors on that side. So may not be much difference in view between highest floor in the “blank” type and lower in island view type. Poolside lower is of course on the other side of building.
Just an FYI - Gulf front, Gulf side, and Gulf view are all in the front (original building).
I vacationed at Crystal Shores last year and had an island view unit on the 10th floor..I was pleasantly surprised that I had a pretty nice view of the Gulf from that floor..and the balconies are huge with nice comfortable loungers

Last edited:

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club

Thank you for the info. Can you see the gulf from a lower poolside view or would you recommend getting gulf view/side for that?

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Lower Poolside, if you are at the far end of the tower that faces the Gulf, you might see it across the pools. But most of the rooms in this category would be facing the wrong direction or blocked by the front buildings.
If a Gulf view from the room is important to you I would suggest Gulfside or Gulffront. Gulfview will likely also get you some view but it will be obstructed by the Hilton. To further explain - Gulfront is in the original tower that directly faces the Gulf. Gulfside views are in the same building but in the wing that runs perpendicular to Gulf. They are on higher floors. Gulfview rooms are on the same wing but the lower floors.
We get some great views from our Gulfside unit. The nice part is at night when the Gulf and beach are pitch black - you can see the lights of Marco in the other direction.
Hope this helps. You can always go to Stilts (restaurant on property) for a great sunset.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I got an exchange into Crystal Shores for October (fingers crossed we can go by then), and according to II, it's a TBOV which is Gulf View 2BR. According to hcarman, we'll be on a lower floor on the side of the older building closest to the beach. I figured, being a Marriott owner but not at CS, we'd get the crummiest view but Gulf View doesn't sound too horrible.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
For Lower Poolside, if you are at the far end of the tower that faces the Gulf, you might see it across the pools. But most of the rooms in this category would be facing the wrong direction or blocked by the front buildings.
If a Gulf view from the room is important to you I would suggest Gulfside or Gulffront. Gulfview will likely also get you some view but it will be obstructed by the Hilton. To further explain - Gulfront is in the original tower that directly faces the Gulf. Gulfside views are in the same building but in the wing that runs perpendicular to Gulf. They are on higher floors. Gulfview rooms are on the same wing but the lower floors.
We get some great views from our Gulfside unit. The nice part is at night when the Gulf and beach are pitch black - you can see the lights of Marco in the other direction.
Hope this helps. You can always go to Stilts (restaurant on property) for a great sunset.

Thank you so much for the great info. Just so I’m clear....the gulf side and gulf view balconies are in the old building not facing the pool. The poolside rooms balconies all face the pool and are in the two new buildings. The island view rooms balconies are in the new buildings but don’t face the pool.

Do I have that right?
Thank you

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the great info. Just so I’m clear....the gulf side and gulf view balconies are in the old building not facing the pool. The poolside rooms balconies all face the pool and are in the two new buildings. The island view rooms balconies are in the new buildings but don’t face the pool.

Do I have that right?
Thank you

Your best best may be to call Crystal Shores directly: 239-393-6800

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an exchange into Crystal Shores for October (fingers crossed we can go by then), and according to II, it's a TBOV which is Gulf View 2BR. According to hcarman, we'll be on a lower floor on the side of the older building closest to the beach. I figured, being a Marriott owner but not at CS, we'd get the crummiest view but Gulf View doesn't sound too horrible.

For our exchange into CS in February I asked for and received high floor, gulf view. I think it was on the 9th floor, just behind the oceanfront villa, had a beautiful side view of the gulf and was definitely not horrible. I'm not familiar with the building names, but there was a green area below and you could see the boardwalk out to the beach. So, I wouldn't necessarily think you'll get a low floor. Timing may be on your side, and I hope this works out for you.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that the balconies in the original buildings are much larger, although those in the new building are adequate. Most exchanges will be in the original buildings because the new building villas are owned by the trust. I think that most villas in the original buildings are larger, but I haven't yet stayed in the new section. This is a great resort so you should enjoy it no matter what villa you stay in.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott’s Crystal Shores
600 S Collier Blvd

Marco Island, Florida, USA

Free Wifi. free on-site parking and no resort fees.

Resort Status:
Open only for Owner and Interval International arrivals from Wed, March 25, 2020 through Thurs, May 14, 2020 (subject to change). Limited amenities and services currently in place.

Resort Amenities:
The following services and amenities have been modified or are currently unavailable due to government orders and other precautions that have been implemented due to COVID-19: Daily housekeeping is no longer available, fitness center/classes, spa(s), hot tub(s), Kids club, arcades/media rooms, BBQ grills are currently closed. The resort’s pools are open. If applicable, resort activity schedules have also been modified or cancelled in accordance with CDC, WHO and local guidelines. Additionally, if applicable, food and beverage outlets are only offering take-out service.

IMPORTANT:
Please visit the links below for official information on the mandatory restrictions including facial covering requirements, nightly curfew, etc. that are currently in effect as of April 15.

For Official State and Local Information:

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/or https://www.cityofmarcoisland.com/emergency

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott’s Crystal Shores - Gulf Front - Gulf View
and Pool Side - Compare Villa Styles & Photos

Thanks, but I find that a bit confusing, because there are a lot of 2 BRs shown, and not all of them say what the view is. Now I'm wondering if with my TBOV:golf view villa exchange I'll get a 2BR that has the 2 bedrooms on opposite sides with one, large balcony, or a 2BR that has the 2nd bedroom in the center of the villa, with 2 balconies: one off the master and one of the living room. The only one of those that says "gulf view" has the 2nd bedroom in the center of the villa. :p Does anyone know?

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I find that a bit confusing, because there are a lot of 2 BRs shown, and not all of them say what the view is. Now I'm wondering if with my TBOV:golf view villa exchange I'll get a 2BR that has the 2 bedrooms on opposite sides with one, large balcony, or a 2BR that has the 2nd bedroom in the center of the villa, with 2 balconies: one off the master and one of the living room. The only one of those that says "gulf view" has the 2nd bedroom in the center of the villa. :p Does anyone know?

I checked my history and our exchange showed HTWOS, gulf side view. We had a view very similar to this screenshot taken from Miss Marty's link above. The layout was LR with oversized balcony, 2nd bedroom in the center, then master with balcony. I didn't know there were four view categories, so this may help you if only by the process of elimination...

I had no idea where we would be placed before we arrived because I didn't think to check the code, but I would be happy in any view category :). If you want to be sure of what you're getting, call the front desk and ask.

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 10.01.20 AM.png

aklausing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MCP, MGO, Destination Points
We stayed at Crystal Shores last year and while there I picked up the attached layout of buildings with descriptions of room types. When looking at availability on MVC if the room type is blank, it refers to the standard view rooms, which are floors 3-5 on North side of Building C. The three bedrooms are only on the West end of Building C and the South end of building D.

We had a three bedroom Island View on 12th floor and the view was great. Could see the gulf and shore I think all the way up to Tigertail Beach.

Crystal Shores is a beautiful property. New pools are amazing.

Attachments

• Crystal Shores Room Names.pdf
    414.2 KB · Views: 392

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several questions from previous posts I will try to answer as we have stayed in most of the room types.

1) Gulfside and Gulfview room types are in the original building - none of these rooms face the pool, they face toward the Gulf or the Gulf/Hilton. Gulfside rooms are the higher floors and the units closer to the beach - Gulfview lower and a bit further from the beach. As such, the lower floors can have views obstructed by the Hilton.

2) The original units have two floor plans for the 2 bedrooms - they have a split plan where the bedrooms/baths are on opposite sides of the living room and the guest room has a private/separate balcony from the rest of the unit. The other plan has the two bedrooms and baths next to each other but the guest room has no balcony access (floor to ceiling windows). General consensus is this is better for families with small kids. It is a bit less private as rooms are next to each other and there is no balcony. The other plan probably better for adults or older kids.

3) The higher floors of the new buildings have some great views as they can see across the pool or the Hilton. One building is what the manager called a double stack- interior corridor with rooms on both sides. The other a single with an outside corridor on one side and rooms facing the pool only (similar to older building where rooms are on just one side and the walkway on the other).

4) It is possible to get a Gulf View room with a nice view but it is also possible to get one that is pretty obstructed - luck or status. And they say owner's at Crystal Shores are given priority in the older building obviously. Not sure that is always true as I think the elite in Destination program also compete for the premier views.

5) Balconies are larger in the original building as are the rooms - ever so slightly. The original building is more convenient to the beach, Stilts, and the lower pools. New buildings much more convenient for parking, upper pools, gym and activity club, main lobby, pizza, and marketplace.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Thank you very much. That clears it up perfectly. I thought there were balconies facing the street from some pictures I seen but thankfully not.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - balconies facing the street are actually off the external corridor (hall) of one of the new buildings. Just for decoration or a place where you can look toward the island/street as you walk down the hall. You might have a nice view across island from hall of upper floors. It is confusing but no units face street.

if you are booking a unit in original building (Gulfside, view, or front) you can request which floor plan you want a week or two out. You don’t actually book the specific floor plan - just view and 2 or 3 bedrooms.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
if you are booking a unit in original building (Gulfside, view, or front) you can request which floor plan you want a week or two out. You don’t actually book the specific floor plan - just view and 2 or 3 bedrooms.

That's good to know! I can understand the floor plan which has the 2nd BR in the center is good for families with children, but I prefer the one where they are on opposite ends, so that the 2nd BR has an en suite bathroom since we will be 2 couples sharing the villa.

Given that I have gulf view, does one floor plan provide a better location than the other?

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also prefer split floor plan as my Mom usually stays with us (or another couple) - gives her (and us) some privacy. Just remember to request a week or two out before they do room assignments. It may depend on time of year (lots of families vs more couples) as to which plan is more popular.
For Gulf View and Gulf Side rooms there are just three per floor (Gulf Side on higher floors for most part). The split plans are on either end and the non split plan is middle room. So there are more split plan rooms anyway (2 per floor vs 1). Wish I knew where my view type map was which we got years ago. On middle floors (7,8, etc.) there are both Gulf Side and Gulf View rooms. This has to do with differences in view from one end of building to other. I have had a Gulf View with nice view of beach from a room right next door to Gulf Side - in some cases very little difference.
My suggestion on Gulf View - either ask for a split plan room in bank of rooms closest to beach (aka closest to elevator on Marriott’s request form). Or if you request a split room on the other end of building you want highest floor possible (to see over Hilton). These rooms will also give you a nice view of island at night.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other thing - Crystal Shores calls the rooms in front building - Gulf Front, Gulf Side, and Gulf View - as they should be since it is the Gulf of Mexico. Sometimes you will see Ocean Front, Ocean Side, etc. used (possibly with Interval). Same rooms.