• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ROFR exercised on gift transfer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Piñon Pointe (eoy odd)
Hilton on the Boulevard (eoy even)
Hilton on the Boulevard (annual)
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge (annual)
I am the transferee....signed a "sales agreement" at zero dollars and indicated in the agreement its a gift transfer. Hyatt notified current owner that they are exercising their ROFR. Is that legal? Can they exercise a ROFR for the gift of a deeded property? Any advice?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is it a gift to a complete stranger? With a sales contract at $0, it seems that it is a sale for $0 if it is to a complete stranger.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am the transferee....signed a "sales agreement" at zero dollars and indicated in the agreement its a gift transfer. Hyatt notified current owner that they are exercising their ROFR. Is that legal? Can they exercise a ROFR for the gift of a deeded property? Any advice?
I haven't read the legalese, but I don't think there is a provision to gift it.

I don't think the seller has to go through with the sale to Hyatt though.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I haven't read the legalese, but I don't think there is a provision to gift it.

I don't think the seller has to go through with the sale to Hyatt though.
Doesn't the developer just take over the contract as the buyer? So if you were obligated to sell it to the original buyer, you would still be obligated to sell it to Hyatt? Of course I doubt Hyatt would actually bother to enforce the contract, but they could.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the developer just take over the contract as the buyer? So if you were obligated to sell it to the original buyer, you would still be obligated to sell it to Hyatt? Of course I doubt Hyatt would actually bother to enforce the contract, but they could.
Yes. However, I haven't seen any language that punishes the seller in any of the contracts I've bought. Seller could try notifying the closing company of the intent to withdraw and see what would happen.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score

I know someone who submitted the same property multiple times (same property,buyer/seller) and raised the price until HRC passed on the ROFR. They said they had done that on 4 or 5 different sales. As long as you didn't put into the contract a penalty if the seller doesn't complete the sale, you can generally back out any time.

As everyone knows who buys/sells timeshares - there are always 'outs' until the deed is done.

Never heard of an attempt to ROFR a properly written gift transfer. If this is truly a 'gift'. such as to a family member, I certainly would not complete a transfer to Hyatt. I will not suggest any of multiple ways to get around this, as only you know if your transfer is legitimately 0.00

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

The seller is not required to complete the sale to Hyatt in a ROFR situation - however most sellers do as they no longer want the TS (and they don't care who winds up with the TS - they're just glad they no longer own it). When Hyatt exercises ROFR, the seller can simply say they changed their mind and the entire deal dies. As Pathways noted above, a sale can be submitted for the same property multiple times (same property,buyer/seller) and raise the price until it passes ROFR.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I know someone who submitted the same property multiple times (same property,buyer/seller) and raised the price until HRC passed on the ROFR. They said they had done that on 4 or 5 different sales.

Umm, isn’t this outright fraud? The seller and buyer are obviously in cahoots to create fake contracts in an effort to maximize their selling price.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Umm, isn’t this outright fraud? The seller and buyer are obviously in cahoots to create fake contracts in an effort to maximize their selling price.

Not sure they are trying to maximize the selling price but rather are trying to make sure a preferred buyer gets the Week...

George

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Not sure they are trying to maximize the selling price but rather are trying to make sure a preferred buyer gets the Week...

George

Oh yes, you are absolutely correct. I was reading it that they buyer didn’t want it but rather the seller wanted HRC to exercise ROFR.

Even at that, there is still an element of fraud since they are executing multiple contracts all in an effort to bypass HRC’s contractual right to take over as buyer through ROFR.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the seller wants the unit to go to a specific "buyer" and not to Hyatt. Obviously, there is a relationship between the two. If the owner simply wanted to part with the annual MF, there would be no issue of who obtains the unit. To make the desired transaction function, the seller will need to change the approach. One way is to continually raise the selling price until it exceeds Hyatt's "sweet spot". Other options are also available.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, you are absolutely correct. I was reading it that they buyer didn’t want it but rather the seller wanted HRC to exercise ROFR.

Even at that, there is still an element of fraud since they are executing multiple contracts all in an effort to bypass HRC’s contractual right to take over as buyer through ROFR.

HRC never loses their rights, they can always exorcise at the higher price. If it is simply the intent of the 'corporate' entity to purchase the week, they could reach out to the seller and negotiate. If the intent is to simply support the price, or simply take the week if it is dirt cheap only, then I see no issue.

I purchased two Marriott weeks, and used the same law firm that Marriott uses for their 'developer' sales. They filled out the ROFR form as a gift. I questioned them, and they said on their resales they do it that way so the sale always goes through. Not sure what you call that, but hey, they are the legal minds! (I was surprised the seller in each case didn't care, as each was a 5 figure sale. I assume they just figured the law firm already had my check, so they were getting paid one way or the other. But still, the ROFR did not match the sales contract)

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think ultimately the developer just wants to support the price so they can better justify their own pricing. In that case, I really don't think they care about the multiple submissions, they just don't want a low sales price. Again, if they really wanted to own a specific week, they know who the owners are. They could just reach out a make offers.

I figure that is why some charge for the ROFR submission. That way, they are making money no matter. I heard a MOC fixed week/unit got submitted four times before Marriott let it go.

The seller (unless personal friends with the buyer) is kind of taking a chance themselves if they participate. If after multiple submissions the buyer ultimately backs out, they are stuck with no personal sale and no ROFR sale. So I doubt it occurs frequently.

Last edited:

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark

The seller simply changed their mind.. they should be allowed to do that. Bait and switch is a common tactic in TS sales.. except that the developer is at the receiving end now. Is there anything in the contract between the seller and Hyatt that they are required to finish the transaction? If it is fraud, why doesn't Hyatt pursue the seller legally?

Considering all the "fraudulent" activities developers engage in, I'm sure they don't think of this as serious enough fraud to pursue these sellers.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The seller simply changed their mind.. they should be allowed to do that.

You have a contract. Changing your mind really shouldn't be an option. You can't change your mind simply because the developer exercises ROFR. You still have a contract.

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
You have a contract. Changing your mind really shouldn't be an option. You can't change your mind simply because the developer exercises ROFR. You still have a contract.

You got me.

I know guys will come down hard on me but let me just admit that I don't see anything wrong with these tricks. They are in the same spirit as tactics used by timeshare developers: a way to use the system in your favor.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
The contract is between the seller and the original buyer isn't it? The developer is not part of that sales contract. If the developer took the unit via ROFR, a new contract would need to be generated between the seller and the developer. The original contract would no longer be valid. Under these conditions I would think the seller can decide if they wanted to sell to the developer or not.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have a contract. Changing your mind really shouldn't be an option.

I know I have felt that way every time the sale of one of my weeks falls through. But the broker always tells me otherwise.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got me.

I know guys will come down hard on me but let me just admit that I don't see anything wrong with these tricks. They are in the same spirit as tactics used by timeshare developers: a way to use the system in your favor.
Nothing wrong with using every loop hole available to stick it to the TS developers. That's what I have been saying "use the system in your favor" !!!;)

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

Lol. I think this pales in comparison to the real fraud that comes out of these timeshare salespeople’s mouths.

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
Lol. I think this pales in comparison to the real fraud that comes out of these timeshare salespeople’s mouths.

I don't think it's fraud if the developer does it :ponder:.. if the seller does it to get a small fraction of the initial purchase price, it is outright fraud :LOL:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no contract if the seller decides not to sell unless the contract has a penalty or some other clause in it stating as such.

All of the sales contracts I use as seller state that if seller backs out for any reason, they are responsible for all closing costs and nothing more. Most of the timeshares I buy have similar language. I suppose you could add in clauses to state that there is a penalty for backing out, but I haven't seen one in any of my purchases.

-ryan

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies