• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Risk Assessment - on a daily, personal level

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
risk as·sess·ment​
-- a systematic process of evaluating the potential risks that may be involved in a projected activity or undertaking.

= = =
A conversation with a friend this morning left me with all kinds of thoughts on subject. I'm going to discuss from the point of view of ME, being cautious and careful, in my own home.

There are a group of people who want to become a part of my 'bubble' -- which I like to refer to as "POD".

As I evaluate who I am going to let in to my group -- and yes, I WANT to let one or more into my group, because my POD consists of exactly one person -- ME.

Here are the prospective people:
1. Family of four -- my daughter, her partner, two young boys (ages 8 and 9) who want to see their 'grammy'. They have been very careful with all measures for the past 60 days. Only concern is daughter's partner who has been working part-time in small bicycle shop (an essential service in their town, for repairs).
2. Friend, nurse, works as in-home health care. Has not been exposed to anyone infected as far as she knows.
3. Friend, Postal Worker - mail carrier -- otherwise isolated
4. Friend, Young person who recently attended a gathering of people her age -- not sure what, if any PPE, was used.
5. Grand-daughter, practicing SIP since being laid off from her restaurant job; her partner -- an EMT who works 12 hour shifts in San Jose.

I will say that I am comfortable with having a visit from any of the above, except #4.

How about you?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No one - we don't have anyone else in the house, period - if our adult kids come by, the visit is arranged in advance, they stay 6 feet+ away in the yard, we all wear masks, and no more than 15 min. We prefer to keep in touch by texting. The problem with in-home visits is that people who look and feel perfectly well can be carriers with no symptoms.

Reactions: jme

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing life has taught me is, there’s nothing that makes you more insane than family, or more happy, or more exasperated and of course, more secure.

Sick or well, they are still family. I will never limit their time or measure their distance. But, that's just me.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You got to do what you feel is best for you. All scenarios have some risk. With that said, going to the doctor, getting a package, etc all have some risk. Only you can determine how much you are willing to take.

I do take some risk as life has to go on. I go to my necessary doctor appointments as by not going I deem it riskier that something bad can happen. Groceries have been curbside or delivered. Occasionally Home Depot when they open when only a few customers are there, and curbside pickup from restaurants. Also went into a bakery once, won’t do that again as I didn’t like the precautions they were taking. I always wear my mask and am careful with sanitizer. Also had my car fixed.

As far as visitors, my step daughter is who we want to see. She lives with her mom Who works in a grocery and now found out my step daughter is working there too and has socially seen friends. Ugh. My neighbor did it best, visit in the back yard with social distancing and masks. It was weird looking but worked. I do talk to neighbors outside social distancing.

I put off notarizing Papers for two months. It needs to be done, so now determining how to minimize risk.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would do number 1.

It's your closest family. They have been isolating. The part-time job in the bike shop seems reasonably low-risk. If the partner has been wearing a face mask and staying six feet from clients, then I would say you can do it. I would want to stay outdoors and distance as much as possible and use hand sanitizer, but it seems okay.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No one - we don't have anyone else in the house, period - if our adult kids come by, the visit is arranged in advance, they stay 6 feet+ away in the yard, we all wear masks, and no more than 15 min. We prefer to keep in touch by texting. The problem with in-home visits is that people who look and feel perfectly well can be carriers with no symptoms.
Denise, I have several friends/family members following that routine. I'm wondering how/when you will modify, and are there underlying conditions?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing life has taught me is, there’s nothing that makes you more insane than family, or more happy, or more exasperated and of course, more secure.

Sick or well, they are still family. I will never limit their time or measure their distance. But, that's just me.
Please clarify. Are you saying that your family members who don't live with you have been making regular visits? Are they living in close proximity?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would do number 1.

It's your closest family. They have been isolating. The part-time job in the bike shop seems reasonably low-risk. If the partner has been wearing a face mask and staying six feet from clients, then I would say you can do it. I would want to stay outdoors and distance as much as possible and use hand sanitizer, but it seems okay.
Agree.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise, I have several friends/family members following that routine. I'm wondering how/when you will modify, and are there underlying conditions?

We don't really have an underlying conditions, besides our age, and I don't think we will modify our current SIP lifestyle, until there is a vaccine available, or something else, that realistically makes things safer. And in case anyone is wondering, our kids don't feel neglected, in fact, they are even more cautious about not exposing us than we are.

Reactions: jme

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please clarify. Are you saying that your family members who don't live with you have been making regular visits? Are they living in close proximity?

Oh yes, absolutely. At least once once a week. We live in an area that doesn't have a high concentration of cases however, I doubt that would change anything. Also, we live within an 80 mile range of each other.

I understand the risks and have come to accept them. I would never ask others to ignore their fears and change their precautions, whatever they are. We certainly don't measure off some magical 6 foot area in an attempt to not infect each other. That's not to say if anyone else feels safer by doing so, they shouldn't. Again, simply a choice.

If there are no definitive signs that indicate an illness, I have no qualms whatsoever about hugging a member of my family. I only have them for certain time and will make every minute count. ;)

Brett

Reaction score
risk as·sess·ment
-- a systematic process of evaluating the potential risks that may be involved in a projected activity or undertaking.

= = =
A conversation with a friend this morning left me with all kinds of thoughts on subject. I'm going to discuss from the point of view of ME, being cautious and careful, in my own home.

There are a group of people who want to become a part of my 'bubble' -- which I like to refer to as "POD".

As I evaluate who I am going to let in to my group -- and yes, I WANT to let one or more into my group, because my POD consists of exactly one person -- ME.

Here are the prospective people:
1. Family of four -- my daughter, her partner, two young boys (ages 8 and 9) who want to see their 'grammy'. They have been very careful with all measures for the past 60 days. Only concern is daughter's partner who has been working part-time in small bicycle shop (an essential service in their town, for repairs).
2. Friend, nurse, works as in-home health care. Has not been exposed to anyone infected as far as she knows.
3. Friend, Postal Worker - mail carrier -- otherwise isolated
4. Friend, Young person who recently attended a gathering of people her age -- not sure what, if any PPE, was used.
5. Grand-daughter, practicing SIP since being laid off from her restaurant job; her partner -- an EMT who works 12 hour shifts in San Jose.

I will say that I am comfortable with having a visit from any of the above, except #4.

How about you?

for me everyone stays 6' feet away
(except immediate family, they're in the 'bubble)

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see my daughter, son and his family, not a lot, but we do go into each other's homes. I visit the neighbors regularly outside, several feet apart. An out of town son and family are coming this weekend. They will stay with her parents, but I will see them and hug my grandkids after two months. They have quarantined quite well. I wear a mask in stores. I used to wash my hands regularly but no longer do. The segregation is starting to get me down. I want to go back to work. I want to see people. I am not afraid. [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My youngest DS lives about an hour away. He works at home only going out for groceries. His GF works in a drive-through coffee shop. She is careful but some of her coworkers are not. Sunday was the first time I have seen them in 2 months. DH & I are both over 60 and we have some underlying health issues. We have been SIP except for groceries and once/week for other items.

I was not at all uncomfortable seeing them...hugging them ....we are not in a hot spot. I think we are all careful and I am not going to go run and lick doorknobs but I am not going to live in fear either. If I perchance do get the virus, I hope I will survive it but no one knows when their time is up. I have to have a little faith that what happens is exactly what is supposed to happen.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Everyone I know says they are practicing social distancing and wearing a mask. But virtually everyone I know is also still visiting family during SIP/SAH. I am surprised by how many people have told me they have visited family, even elderly family, during SIP/SAH. My family in Florida has still been visiting each other but they have a designated bubble. My elderly aunt cheated on the bubble and went to lunch at her elderly cousin's house for Mother's Day. We do not have family nearby so we have not seen people in over 8 weeks. One of my friends said she had a social distancing party with 8 friends over. I am not part of that circle so I was not invited. Another of my friends visited their elderly mother, who lives with some caretakers. One of my clients had their in laws over and they did not social distance very well, he said. I could go on and on about how many people have still be visiting family during the SIP/SAH. I feel like we might be the only ones truly isolating. However, if we did have family within driving distance, we would have included them in our bubble. The good news is that even with this much mixing and mingling going on, the infection rate has been going down. I hope it stays that way.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No one, except my son if we can teleport over. He has been SIP like us the whole time. I have to drive 9.5 hours to see him which makes it challenging as we don't want to have to go to public bathroom along the way or if we break up the drive, to check into a hotel.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

My 29 year old daughter just came to stay with us for a couple of weeks from her apartment in San Francisco. She had almost no contact with anyone for the prior week+, out only for jogging and the market. My 29 y.o. step-daughter came over briefly to sit out by the pool with us, her husband, and 10 month old. But she wouldn't get within 6 ft or take off her face covering -- but she's more afraid of us than we are of her. She won't let us near the grand-baby. :(

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
In the beginning of the pandemic we were a bit freaked out so we fanatically practiced the sip orders. As time went on and more information was available we became less concerned but still practiced the social distancing. Each day things are getting better and I think on June 1 our state begins to reopen many businesses.

Even with things getting better, those with health issues or obligations might want to sip. Currently, I have no problem with sip or opening up. The reason I have no problem is we are fairly healthy and I know I can get treatment should things go bad. My almost 85 year old mom caught corvid 19 at the nursing home and was treated early ( before sars ) and she is fine. I know two other people, one 40 and one 62 who were treated early and they are fine.

Bill

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We haven’t been as restrictive with our daily lives as others, from what I am reading. As we have grown to understand more about the virus, the better we feel that we can limit our viral load, hopefully getting just enough exposure to get the antibodies, yet not get too ill. We have been in weekly contact with our neighbors, son and family, and I take my mom shopping each week to her local grocery store. Now, since our state is freely open, workman have been coming to our house to finish an outdoor project for the past week.

We stay away from bars, restaurants, mass transit, elevators, and any indoor venue that we would spend more than 15-20 minutes inside. Enclosed spaces with many unknown patrons, and lots of conversations are potential for big viral load. Summer makes it easier to visit with others outside; I fully expect the virus to reload this winter.