• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ring Doorbell - worth is for Cyber Monday Deals?

BarbmC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Marriott BeachPlace
Marriott Vacation Club points owner
Wondering if its worth it to get the ring doorbell? They have the Pro for $159. And did you install it yourself? My husband, not handy at all. I can manage a screw driver and a hammer - can I do the installation?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, they replace your existing doorbell button/cover plate and take the power right from it...its usually a very simple install assuming you dont have some sort of extra complicated doorbell button on the outside (like something inlayed into brick or oversized vs a regular doorbell).

they also sell adapter plates if you do have to cover up a larger doorbell opening etc.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wondering if its worth it to get the ring doorbell? They have the Pro for $159. And did you install it yourself? My husband, not handy at all. I can manage a screw driver and a hammer - can I do the installation?
The Pro can only be hardwired into an existing doorbell. It draws power from there. Other versions of Ring bells can either be hardwired or use battery power. Just mentioning in case this makes a difference to you.

I am not handy and was able to do this myself.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

It's not that difficult, just put one in (Pro). I had brick outside and it wasn't level so to speak so had to add some mortar to make it seal properly, but, that was the hardest part. You put the little adapter into the doorbell chime (with power off), you attach the 2 wires to the Ring Pro, and, you're done. I had cat5 wiring to the outside, so, just twisted pairs together to make thicker wire. Just completed it yesterday.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also - you can get great deals on these from Costco if you are a member there.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I just added a Wyze camera instead, it points from the breezeway to where the gate and doorbell is. It was only $25. I just added one today in the garage, so I can monitor the garage door entries and ensure visually that the garage door is shut.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Amazon has a bundle of a Ring Pro plus an Echo Show 5 for $179 (the Echo Show 5 is normally $50 by itself). With this bundle, you can easily see who is at the front door via the Echo Show.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RS88HZC/ref=twister_B07G5ZG3Q4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Kurt
Hi Kurt,

With this system, would I need to purchase 2 Echo Show 5's - one for the upstairs bedroom; and the second for the downstairs kitchen?

We have an outside gate - would a battery-powered Ring work or would you recomend an electrician to set up a hard-wired system?

Thanks.

Richard

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Kurt,

With this system, would I need to purchase 2 Echo Show 5's - one for the upstairs bedroom; and the second for the downstairs kitchen?

We have an outside gate - would a battery-powered Ring work or would you recomend an electrician to set up a hard-wired system?

Thanks.

Richard

You don't need any Echo shows, there is a Ring app on IOS and Android. But you can use a Show and give them voice commands. Depending on how far the outside gate is, a battery powered one might work as long as you got a WiFi signal there, or, mounted on the house facing the gate if it's not too far. I have a Doorbell Pro and 2 Ring hardwired outside Floodlight cameras. Security system on the way, going to pay less monthly than existing system.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
It's definitely worth the price. We installed one last year. Love the fact that I can view what's going on from anywhere. Even when we were in Mexico on vacation we were able to see a delivery made to the house.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I got the regular Ring doorbell and upgraded to the Pro version because the resolution was so bad on the lower priced on. The Pro required removing 2 wires for the original doorbell and attaching them to the Ring doorbell. If you don't know what you're doing, you will also have to turn off the circuit breaker that goes to the doorbell transformer. It's low voltage, so I carefully did it hot.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I found the installation to be fairly easy but came across two small bumps in the road:
1. My doorbell transformer was 16 volts and the ac voltage was marginal. I had to replace the transformer. Luckily I remembered where the transformer was placed 22 years ago when our house was built (inside a closet but positioned up high on the front wall so that it could not be seen when opening the closet doors.
2. Our wifi signal to the doorbell is weak. The signal was going though 4 walls including stucco (with wire-mesh - - basically a Faraday cage). So I had to buy a $40 or $50 Ring amplifier/repeater with chimes. Now it seem to work flawlessly.
These road bumps were easily overcome.

I kind of recall that through Ring you can get someone to install the Ring doorbell for a small fee.