• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ridiculous price of carpet and tile cleaning

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had to put our cat down a week ago and he had the same illness as the other cat whom we had to put down 10 months before. We decided to sanitize the home. The vet said that no one really knew if what they had was contagious although it had not been documented to be so.

We threw out the area rugs and matching entry door mats and decided to call the professionals to clean the floor tiles and carpet.

We have only lived in this brand new home for 3 years and tiles and carpet still look new.

First call was to Stanley Steemer. The lady said it would be $800 for 2.5 hours of work. I said it was ridiculous and I would call other companies. The next call was to ChemDry. They wanted $1,800 and said it would take all day.

Either company is not going to get my business as I decided to go DIY.

I bought a Hoover carpet cleaner and solution which cost about $200. I already have Blissel steam mop which is supposed to kill 99.9% of germs. I finished cleaning the tiles yesterday. We will work on the carpet when we return from our trip to Palm Desert.

I think I will start a tile and carpet cleaning business around here if I want a retirement job.

Last edited:

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
VacationForever, did you get Hoover SmartWash? Please share your experience, I am considering to purchase one. Thanks.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the same as to power wash. Floor of lanai is maybe ten by twelve and they want at least 120.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We had to put our cat down a week ago and he had the same illness as the other cat whom we had to put down 10 months before. We decided to sanitize the home. The vet said that no one really knew if what they had was contagious although it had not been documented to be so.

We threw out the area rugs and matching entry door mats and decided to call the professionals to clean the floor tiles and carpet.

We have only lived in this brand new home for 3 years and tiles and carpet still look new.

First call was to Stanley Steemer. The lady said it would be $800 for 2.5 hours of work. I said it was ridiculous and I would call other companies. The next call was to ChemDry. They wanted $1,800 and said it would take all day.

Either company is not going to get my business as I decided to go DIY.

I bought a Hoover carpet cleaner and solution which cost about $200. I already have Blissel steam mop which is supposed to kill 99.9% of germs. I finished cleaning the tiles yesterday. We will work on the carpet when we return from our trip to Palm Desert.

I think I will start a tile and carpet cleaning business around here if I want a retirement job.

I am so sorry about your cat. So strange both cats passed of the same illness. So sad.

I agree- some things you are better off doing yourself. And you will probably do them better than the so called professionals anyway.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have a carpet guy coming Monday AM.
He has a coupon in our local rag for 3 rooms at $80.
He'll try to upsell us (high traffic, deodorize, protect, etc.)

DW would sign up for it all, but I hope to head him off.
We only need the construction dust gone (no pets).
We shall see.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a carpet guy coming Monday AM.
He has a coupon in our local rag for 3 rooms at $80.
He'll try to upsell us (high traffic, deodorize, protect, etc.)

DW would sign up for it all, but I hope to head him off.
We only need the construction dust gone (no pets).
We shall see.
We had one come that advertised three rooms for one hundred. Then the cleaner or salesman who arrived said that didn’t include any cleaning agents. Thatas extra. They didn’t move a thing, went around the beds and furniture. I bought a carpet cleaner and used it until we got hardwood floors put in.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
check groupon, as carpet cleaning often available at 50% off.

Reaction score
I too notice that certain things such as home services such as carpet cleaning, window cleaning, drape hanging, landscaping, pressure washing are total ripoffs. They come in and if you ask an hourly price, they say they don't work that way and quote you some low number that gets fragmented and multiplied and ends up costing $300-$400 per man hour.

My ONLY advice is to use Homeadvisor and get multiple quotes for these jobs as there are so service people that do bait and switch or blatant ripoffs that it is insane.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
check groupon, as carpet cleaning often available at 50% off.
Many of those Groupon deals for cleaning services are ridiculous. They are simply come-ons, and the work they are supposedly offering cannot be done for anywhere near the price of the Groupon coupon. Which means that if you hire the company to do exactly that work, you can be assured they are going to do a shoddy job. It will meet the requirements of the coupon, but that's it.

No reputable or responsible cleaning company is going to issue 1000 or more Groupon coupons for work that is going to generate a $200 or $300 loss per coupon. It's like timeshare sales presentations where they "demonstrate" that you will make money buying the timeshare and renting it out. If it's sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

My personal experience was with duct cleaning. I saw the Groupon offer, and that got me thinking. Rather than jumping on the Groupon, I did some Googling, and saw the tales from people who has used Groupons for duct cleaning services. I also found myself at the website for a company that did not do Groupons, with an explanation of why dong Groupons wouldn't work for them (they didn't do business that way - when they bid a job, they bid it for what it cost them to do the job, and they refused to put themselves in a place of being forced to do a half=assed job. Their on-line reviews hit the mark. So I hired them, and I was completely satisfied.

You get what you pay for. If you pay a ridiculous price, expect to get ridiculous performance.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
For jobs like carpet cleaning I prefer to use local independent guys. I'm sure there are some great franchise companies, but too often they seem to get by on the we’ll own name instead of the quality of their work. My Go to carpet cleaner is a small company owned by 2 brothers who do most of the cleaning themselves. Reasonably priced, responsive, glad to return if a spot isn't completely gone after the first try and nice guys.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I used Stanley recently and it was $250 for 3 br, landing and stairs. $800 is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

geekette

Reaction score
I have had Bissel carpet steamers for decades. Always do my own. Cautions are to only use steamer cleaner, do not oversaturate carpet, and vacuum extremely well before starting.

It's nice to be able to simply clean a high traffic area vs commit to an entire room. It is much more work than vacuuming.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have a Bissel Steam Cleaner too - someone hubs was helping with a project was going to put a nearly new one in a garage sale and he said instead of money, he would take that. We use it to clean the area rugs and it does a great job.

We tiled our entire house several years ago and I bought an old-fashioned Buffer with 2 heads. We use that about once a year on the tile and grout to make it look like new and for the rest of the year, we just mop the entire house at least once a month. The bathrooms and kitchen areas get mopped more often as needed, but 2 adults and 1 cocker spaniel do not get the floors very dirty. :)