• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Review of the Westin Kaanapali Studio in Lahaina Maui, Hawaii

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
I decided to spend a few more points to get the ocean front and I really enjoyed the ocean sounds in the evening after the noise from the pools died down. The other nice thing about the view is I also got to listen to the nightly live Hawaiian music that wafted up from the bar below during happy hour. It added to the overall Hawaiian feeling of the location.

I had stopped at Costco and bought a lot of food. There were plenty of grills to use and they were placed near the pools which I thought was good for families. I grilled where they had the kids pool and a lot of parents could manage to cook and keep an eye on the kids. There were tables as well so you could eat outside.

The availability of the timeshare was good. I had plenty of choices within the 8 month window although that might change as more travelers come to Hawaii... This was my first trip to the Westin Kaanapali as I tend to stay in Kauai more often. Enjoy the review.

Review of the Westin Kaanapali Studio in Lahaina Maui, Hawaii

Map of all my timeshare reviews

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Hi Clifbell, just a suggestion: you may want to clarify your subject line to designate your review is of a Kaanapali "North" studio--the studios between the north property and the south ("original") section have some significant differences. Mainly being no balcony for the south studios. (except for a small handful of ocean front units).

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Clifbell, just a suggestion: you may want to clarify your subject line to designate your review is of a Kaanapali "North" studio--the studios between the north property and the south ("original") section have some significant differences. Mainly being no balcony for the south studios. (except for a small handful of ocean front units).
Thanks for letting me know... I have updated the title. That is a bit of a surprise

KyleReilly

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. I just closed on a North resale listing this week, and can't wait to visit in September. The North is a great property!

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for sharing. I just closed on a North resale listing this week, and can't wait to visit in September. The North is a great property!
I am happy that you will be able to stay at such a nice place ... I am in the process of closing on some more Hilton points so I can spend time on the big island... I am anxiously waiting for the points to show up in my account to start planning as I assume you are too :cool:

Vagabonder

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Royal, P.Bonito, RCI
Nice job on the video- I am going on a 4 day trip there soon with the sales pitch event. Looking forward to it! And now after 7/8/21 it will probably be busier yet!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Those studios are very well equipped. I love the rooms, the washer/dryer, the kitchen, even the bathtub. We love the Westin properties and have considered a purchase, but it would need to be oceanfront. That comes at a price.

The fees on Hono Koa are really crazy high for a 2 bed, 2 bath that is not a lockoff. I would guess a lot of people are not paying the fees. But we got them pretty much free and have to consider that small investment for the deeds in our cost of staying at our home resort. We own 3 weeks.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those studios are very well equipped. I love the rooms, the washer/dryer, the kitchen, even the bathtub. We love the Westin properties and have considered a purchase, but it would need to be oceanfront. That comes at a price.

The fees on Hono Koa are really crazy high for a 2 bed, 2 bath that is not a lockoff. I would guess a lot of people are not paying the fees. But we got them pretty much free and have to consider that small investment for the deeds in our cost of staying at our home resort. We own 3 weeks.
Three weeks. Just gotta say “wow”!!!!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Three weeks. Just gotta say “wow”!!!!
Fees for 2021 are $2,150 per week! I love the view 40 feet from the ocean but no beach. I also love the kitchen, washer/dryer, 2 bed, 2 bath and the space, but the fees are out of control. Older resorts have people falling away from paying. I wouldn't sell our Hono Koa units and kind of expect the resort to get to the sunset clause and just end. I believe it's just four years away, if I remember my deed correctly.

Nothing lost for us, but we will need an alternative and Westin Ka'anapali may be our alternative.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We are at WKORVN now. We love how well equipped the studios are. Although we have used as part of 2 bdrm, we can envision a year when our kids don't join us how we could lock off and get 2 weeks out of our unit for $1400 / week for oceanfront during prime season.

They just refurbished the units and added ovens to the 1 bdrm side.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fees for 2021 are $2,150 per week! I love the view 40 feet from the ocean but no beach. I also love the kitchen, washer/dryer, 2 bed, 2 bath and the space, but the fees are out of control. Older resorts have people falling away from paying. I wouldn't sell our Hono Koa units and kind of expect the resort to get to the sunset clause and just end. I believe it's just four years away, if I remember my deed correctly.

Nothing lost for us, but we will need an alternative and Westin Ka'anapali may be our alternative.
I, too, struggle with the maintenance fees with Vistana... I have been moving toward Hilton. I stayed for one week in Waikoloa at the Bay Club for 3400 points( off peak). Maintenance is about $500/week for 3400 points. That makes the nightly rate a little over $70/night. Comparing that to $300/night that you pay (and I do also) at the Ka'anapali and I end up favoring Hilton. Buying on the used market means it doesn't cost much overall. I switched to Westin Flex and my cost is closer to $1800 so that helped some but I run the risk of no availability on Ka'anapali.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thx for posting the video.
I have an oceanfront studio stay in December and am looking forward to it even more after the video.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

2021 maintenance fees for Westin Ka'anapali North 2-bedroom lockoff for a week are $2,738.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Just for giggles. A week at the Westin hotel sept 4 for 7 days is 10k for the week. The week of Sept 11 is just about 6 k for the week for a hotel room. But you do get 25% off food! I know I know, but crazy high prices right now. ( prices from Marriot.com)

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just for giggles. A week at the Westin hotel sept 4 for 7 days is 10k for the week. The week of Sept 11 is just about 6 k for the week for a hotel room. But you do get 25% off food! I know I know, but crazy high prices right now. ( prices from Marriot.com)
I am only giggling because I am not paying them.... geez