• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Review of the One Bedroom at Hilton Grand Vacations McAlpin Ocean Plaza in Miami Beach Florida

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
Located about twenty minutes from Miami International Airport is the tourist area of Miami Beach. That is where you will find the McAlpin Ocean Plaza by Hilton Grand Vacations. There is plenty to do here. There is the beach to enjoy, the restaurants, Miami itself, and the walk path along Miami Beach. It is a great vacation especially in the winter months where the temperature is in the 70's and 80's

There was a fitness center and Jacuzzi's. No pool but a huge ocean right near you. The street in front of the timeshare is closed to cars so walking to the beach does not involve any traffic (except maybe a bicycle or two). Staff was great. The room has everything you need including a convection oven. The views were spectacular from the fourth floor jacuzzi areas.

Review of the One Bedroom at Hilton Grand Vacations McAlpin Ocean Plaza in Miami Beach Florida

Map of all my timeshare reviews

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here this week with family. Best thing about Miami Beach is that if there is COVID here you don’t see it. Everything is open without restrictions. First flight was cancelled. Second flight was delayed. We got here at 9pm December 25 instead of 10 am like we were supposed to. Getting back New Year’s Day - who knows but will worry about it December 31. Once you get that mask off and exit the airport masks are voluntary for us. Pretty much nobody has a mask here. The McAlpin is old and not Hawaii. We have a 1 bedroom for the 4 of us. The room is fine but not HHV or Kingsland. Miami Beach is ok though no waves. Serene, relaxing - need to go up more North (around Stuart / Jensen Beach) for surfing. Miami Beach itself is nice, very wide, clean, ocean is clear so good for swimming. McAlpin again is a tiny 4 story old building adequately maintained. Staff is over all nice though beach towels are in short supply. The road in front is closed so nice stretch for everyone to walk around. Art Deco lights of the overpriced restaurants are nice. Go a block e.g. onto Collins Ave. and there are plenty of cheap clothing stores / more restaurants. Trader Joe’s best food shopping for us about 1.2 miles away - good family fun to walk and bring things back. Local Art Deco shopping for perishables very close. They make 1/4 - 1/2 way decent coffee at the Mcalpin 7:30. -12 and you have the machine in your room. Lot’s of police though if you leave your cell phone or other valuables down anywhere around the resort they will be gone forever. Can rent rollerblades here close to resort. Things are much cheaper than Hawaii that is a plus here in Miami. So, nice place to visit, ok location - I expect we will enjoy this vacation. 1 - 10 I give it a 7 so far.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Additional about the beach - Miami Beach has pure soft sand all the way from the expansive beach including into the water. In comparison with St. Petersburg beach on the west coast of Florida the sand is not as pure white but beige and very clean. Waikiki at HHV beach is not wide, the sand is darker with a lot of stones shell pieces and corral pieces that are painful to the feet. Getting over the reef occasionally leads to cuts and often is painful because inevitably you hit some sharps going out. Both waters are very clean and clear. Once past the reef water is nice swimming at HHV. So, Miami Beach plus is that it is so easy to use the beach and to swim - a huge plus. Need to walk along the path besides Ocean Drive in Miami to get to the area to wash off your feet with only one port so there is a wait. Should have one right outside the hotel but none. HHV a lot more access for washing off sand from feet etc. but more populated. As I get more McAlpin thoughts I’ll add. Better than HHV Stuart Florida because no need for a car at all here in Miami Beach.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Great area for just walking around. There is a Walgreens at 14th / Collins that has a few grocery items, and one block east then north on Washington is the Art Deco Grocery.

We enjoyed the hop on bus tour, visits a lot of the art district, a small car museum, then little havana. We got off in little havana and had lunch there with a mojito.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Ocean drive day and night great area to walk around. Smaller children no problems during the day. At night best home after dinner because the more liberal adult themes emerge. Right now kids are roller blading and parents are relaxing.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Goto Taco Rico on 15th street. Great Tacos and very reasonable prices especially on taco tuesday

Can you say "HI to Tall Paul" for me. Tell him the guy from Hawaii with chocolates says what's up. Have not been back for close to 3 years with the pandemic. Paul can tell you where there are great cheap eats. On the corner from Espanola way is a bakery that serves pizza at night. Right behind Walgreens on 14th, there is a hole in the wall place that serves some tasty sandwiches called Le sandwichirie(spelling?) They are open late if you are hungry.

My favorite spot in Miami Beach. The Marriott Pulse Miami is a couple buildings over to right while facing entrance. Great location and it should not be noisy now. A few years ago the property behind Mcalpin was engaged renovated and it was noisy. So much so, earplugs where in the room.

Have fun and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Frank for the advice. Have not seen Tall Paul. I will ask for him. We eat in for breakfast and lunch. Dinners we try to go out. Two days ago we went to “Naked Taco” that was excellent but overpriced. Son had a Quesadilla and wife, daughter and I had two different tacos each. Total bill $73 including tax. Yesterday we had fantastic Italian food. This is a can’t miss if you visit here and want reasonably priced authentic Italian food. The place is called “Fratelli la Bufala.” Wife had excellent spaghetti and meatballs and the two older kids (16 and 11) split two pizza’s. We will definitely be going back later this week there. We eat out in NYC (Manhattan) a couple of times each month since we own a studio in NYC (by the way the HGVC West 57 property is really nice to stay at - we stayed in a 1 bedroom at the beginning of COVID and loved it, though NYC mayor has been a disaster so as long as you are careful you will be ok in NYC). We like Le Rivage in NYC since La Bonne Soupe changed ownership and menu - but those are French and pricey. Anyway, Fratelli La Bufala here in Miami Beach is right across from the Walgreens mentioned in a post above close to Ocean Drive. We will try Taco Rico mentioned above tonight since it is Taco Tuesday. Hopefully it still is really good. Overall we have been extremely happy with our stay here. Although we are in a 1 bedroom on the first floor it is very quiet (no construction now certainly in or around our McAlpin building though the elevator in the Ocean Plaza building is down with renovations until 1/31/22). Soon off to the beach after wife and daughter get back from Starbucks (I make room coffee but they prefer Starbucks).

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, Italian cost was $68 FYI including a generous tip. Again, coffee in the lobby until 12. McAlpin HHV overall vacation is turning out to be fantastic for us. Now up to a 9 (excellent rating for me).

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners at South Beach and go about three times per year (for the past 12 years) for long weekends to warm-up from the northeast winters. Thought I would pipe in with our favorite restaurants (a few are expensive):

1. Smith & Wollensky (South Pointe) - ask for an outside table on the water. We like going about 6:00 to watch the sunset and an occassional cruise ship.
2. Pane & Vino (about 14th & Washington) - Homemade pasta made before your eyes.
3. LaFolie (Esplanade Way) - French Cafe
4. Front Porch (Ocean Ave and 15th) - Great breakfast.
5. Big Pink - Great large Breakfast.
6. Joe's Stone Crab takeout.
7. La Sandwicherie (14th Street) - Wonderful takeout sandwiches.
8. The Betsy (next door) - for a salad and excellent popovers.

It is not the usual HGVC resort as there are few amenities but it does have the Atlantic Ocean across the street. Three nights there are perfect for us. Lastly, if possible avoid having a rental car during your stay. It is not needed. If we are traveling to another location we pick up a rental car at the end of our stay in South Beach.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Here this week with family. Best thing about Miami Beach is that if there is COVID here you don’t see it. Everything is open without restrictions. First flight was cancelled. Second flight was delayed. We got here at 9pm December 25 instead of 10 am like we were supposed to. Getting back New Year’s Day - who knows but will worry about it December 31. Once you get that mask off and exit the airport masks are voluntary for us. Pretty much nobody has a mask here. The McAlpin is old and not Hawaii. We have a 1 bedroom for the 4 of us. The room is fine but not HHV or Kingsland. Miami Beach is ok though no waves. Serene, relaxing - need to go up more North (around Stuart / Jensen Beach) for surfing. Miami Beach itself is nice, very wide, clean, ocean is clear so good for swimming. McAlpin again is a tiny 4 story old building adequately maintained. Staff is over all nice though beach towels are in short supply. The road in front is closed so nice stretch for everyone to walk around. Art Deco lights of the overpriced restaurants are nice. Go a block e.g. onto Collins Ave. and there are plenty of cheap clothing stores / more restaurants. Trader Joe’s best food shopping for us about 1.2 miles away - good family fun to walk and bring things back. Local Art Deco shopping for perishables very close. They make 1/4 - 1/2 way decent coffee at the Mcalpin 7:30. -12 and you have the machine in your room. Lot’s of police though if you leave your cell phone or other valuables down anywhere around the resort they will be gone forever. Can rent rollerblades here close to resort. Things are much cheaper than Hawaii that is a plus here in Miami. So, nice place to visit, ok location - I expect we will enjoy this vacation. 1 - 10 I give it a 7 so far.

This is a great review and would be a great addition to the RUG reviews. You might want to think about supporting TUG and adding to review section of the website.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Plus one on The Betsy. There was a place behind it called The Alley that was fantastic but it closed during the early stages of the Rona and has not reopened. We will be there at the end of April and hopefully it will be back.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you @Clifbell for the helpful review. This is on my bucket list. I can see that the rooms are significantly smaller than other HGVC. We would need to have a 2bdrm if we brought our adult kids. We would probably tie it in to a bucket list trip to the keys.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thank you @Clifbell for the helpful review. This is on my bucket list. I can see that the rooms are significantly smaller than other HGVC. We would need to have a 2bdrm if we brought our adult kids. We would probably tie it in to a bucket list trip to the keys.

Either that or it’s just an easy drive across alligator alley to Marco Island.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Very hard to book those 2br units. There is only one on each floor and nothing on the first floor. Book two 1br units if you need the space.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are owners at South Beach and go about three times per year (for the past 12 years) for long weekends to warm-up from the northeast winters. Thought I would pipe in with our favorite restaurants (a few are expensive):

2. Pane & Vino (about 14th & Washington) - Homemade pasta made before your eyes.

It is not the usual HGVC resort as there are few amenities but it does have the Atlantic Ocean across the street. Three nights there are perfect for us. Lastly, if possible avoid having a rental car during your stay. It is not needed. If we are traveling to another location we pick up a rental car at the end of our stay in South Beach.

That pasta place was busy every night we walked by. There was always people waiting so that was a good sign.

I park in the public garage on 13th st. It was $20 a night up to 24 hours but no in/out privileges. You get charged by the hour how long you park.You can also buy a monthly pass from city hall for $100 that allows you parking and in/out privileges at the 13th street garage. You do have to goto city hall to buy it however. Not that far of a walk. I also park I thi k it was the 21st street garage by the Lowes Miami hotel. That one is a little farther walk from Mcalpin.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just drifted mostly off of Tug over the years only occasionally piping up on the Hilton or Hawaii forum. I gave an extensive HHV review with many more posts on HHV since we pretty much always use our home week at Lagoon though we stayed at Kingsland one year and loved the Big Island (don’t get mad at me because that’s how most mainlanders refer to the Hawaiian island e.g. extensive proper name threads for Hawaiian island exists). Anyway, thanks so much for the additional restaurant advice phil1ben. Even though it is Taco Tuesday we decided tonight we are eating in. We will try the French suggestion though. Continued great weather and trip. Thanks again for the advice and I will chime occasionally in the hopes of helping others who end at Miami Beach for vacation.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ate at the same Italian restaurant. This time $90 for the 4 of us but excellent.
This time share building / room theme is Art Deco and the room decor touches e.g. paintings / carpeting fits the tee.

*We are on the first floor on the inside between the buildings. There is a little alleyway with a small table. No noise for the whole trip until last night. At a bit after 11 pm I and wife are sleeping soundly in the bedroom when three subs were blasting cr@p music and singing on a vibrating microphone. WTF!
I called the front desk and they said they would talk to them. Down but still talking after night manager left and then back on again. No idea if they were guests or vagrants. I called again and night manager said that is all he could do. I asked to have that table removed. He said I would have to speak to the manager today. I expect area will only get louder as New Year approaches but I expect better on or around the property grounds.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luckily noise ended about 11:45. Slept fine after that. Unbelievable. Most small properties have a restaurant / bar on the ground floor that lends itself to a lot of noise. The McAlpin Ocean Plaza does not have that so it should be quieter. Leave it up to subs to find a way to disturb others even at a property that should be quiet.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two small tables and chairs in the courtyard designated as a smoking area. Connects to the large garbage bin through a wooden fence. Ridiculous to me. Whole area should be removed and just used for trash removal.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank - Tall Paul says of course he remembers you, thanks and he hopes you come back soon.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for reaching out to tall Paul. Will be back in 2023 is the plan.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staff here at McAlpin is exceptional over all. On the day we had room refresh they asked what time was best for us and they cleaned up our room then. Towel exchange no issues over all. Actually better than HHV on that. We will be sorry to go. We are having as good a time as our usual HHV home week albeit in a 1 instead of a 2 bedroom unit. Definitely recommend for everyone including those with younger children with the caveat that by 9 or so best to be back in the room because the area is any lifestyle goes.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We make our cocktails and sit on the front porch and watch the flesh parade.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
We make our cocktails and sit on the front porch and watch the flesh parade.

That's so funny. My wife and I did the same last time we stayed at McAlpin.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That's so funny. My wife and I did the same last time we stayed at McAlpin.

we had a room on the first floor last time which made it really easy to dash in and refresh the drinks.