• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

retro and trade in ??? should I

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are here at SDO. we went to hear about the new points system and also talk about what might work to tidy up and bring some of our weeks into the system. we own SVV bella for 81 so EOY and fountains EY for 81 SO and then SDO platinum i bedroom deluxe EY and SDO EOY small and then a SDO 2 bedroom LO EOY ( not platinum) so that breaks down to 2 1/2 weeks a year and 120 SO a year. this is what we did and I have a few days to rescind. we traded in the 2 bd LO EOY for the same costing $3900 for the exchange and now have 81 SO EOY we trade in the small one bd SDO EOY and they gave us a credit of 80% and we purchased a one bedroom platinum small at WKV worth 67 SO for $19000 and we retroed in our one bedroom in platinum SDO so now we have 81 EY so with it. so now we have 310 SO EY we are in company 47 if I didn't use SO I have 5 weeks a year to trade before I had 4 1/2. and they gave us 16 certificates for 90,000 SP for $1900 a piece. something we will always use. now I spent $24,000 to do all this. my maintenance weeks are a couple hundred dollars more. what do you guys think. I've looked at it from every angle and I like it. I wish I could have traded in something worth more and retroed in something worth more. should I keep looking for those and unwind this deal?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you wrote - try this format:

What did you retro? - make a list
(-Resort name - unit/size - SO value)

What did you buy?
(-Resort name - unit/size - SO value)

What was the total cost?

Why do you like this deal? Specifically, what are the advantages?

Last edited:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok try again but i think i know what i did wrong after reading the archives here.

traded in a small 1 bed SDO EY credit of about $5000
Retro large platinum EY SDO now have 81000 SO EY
Exchanged SDO 2 bd. LO EOY for same cost $4000 now have 81000 SO eoy
Purchased WKV small 1 bed platinum EY 67000 SO $24,000

so total price $28k less trade in making it all around $24,000.

I think I need to buy something on the resale market that has more trade in value so I can buy the larger WKV platinum and there won't be a price difference. Also I should try to get it as close to $20,000 new money as possible. that is what I think I've learned from reading the archives. I really like being in company 47 at SDO. I really like the star point certificates. I like having my timeshares carry star options but i know they're not mandatory accept WKV so they have no value. I think I should buy something to trade in that is worth a lot more and just keep my little one bedroom SDO as a trader. I think I should go the large WKV and I think I should also get an EY SDO 2 bed LO to exchange for the same. It would cost $8000 but if I have more credit from my trade in I could make it cheaper and get more.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think this is a good deal. For about $17,000 you can buy a 2 bdm. Plat at WKV worth 148,100.

Last edited:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
but that won't get me in company 47 and that won't get me the SP certificates and it doesn't get me any more SO since I come out of this deal with 67 plus 81 plus 40.5

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
if I rescind this offer and go out and buy something off bay that has more trade in value and then work this same deal accept with a better trade in and exchange I think I will accomplish what I want. I need to find that EY 2 bed LO at SDO in company 47 and get rid of my EOY. I need to find something they want that has the most trade in value. What might that be? they don't want florida. my goal is to stay in scottsdale for 4-8 weeks a year and to travel on my Starpoints and once in a while go to another timeshare.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is definitely not a good deal. You can do way better. If this is the route you want to go, you are right that you need to find something that has a higher value to trade in. You want to stay as close to the $10k minimum new cash out of pocket (I think that's still what it is) as you possibly can.

If you're interested, here's how I did it (note this was back in 2009, so I'm not sure they would allow all of this anymore). The end result for me was ~$10k total out of pocket, 162,800 SO's every year, and 105,000 bonus SP's.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question: I see that you also own SVV and SVR - how do they work into this deal?

Aren't they part of the new points program?

Last edited:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well i went in and canceled and changed it. I have now traded in my svv eoy bella. They gave me $11000 trade in. I kept my little sdo. Cause it is such a great trader. I now bought ey wkv platinum large my cost went down to $22000 I think this is the best deal i can work short of finding a better trading in i have wanted to get rid of bella. 1200/year mf for 81k so. Is too high. Now my 81k so are at $800/year my head is spinning. I have 283000 so a year plus my little sdo trader. I think i am happy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm guessing they didn't want the SVR deed?

gtm2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you traded in your SVV EOY Bella worth 81k SO's for an EY WKV Platinum 1 BD worth 81k SO's and retro'd your SDO EY 1 BD Platinum worth 81k SO's as part of the deal? So for $22,000 in new money you now have 162k SO's EY, right? This is not counting your other weeks that you already own. I am just trying to understand the actual weeks that where part of the new purchase.

Well i went in and canceled and changed it. I have now traded in my svv eoy bella. They gave me $11000 trade in. I kept my little sdo. Cause it is such a great trader. I now bought ey wkv platinum large my cost went down to $22000 I think this is the best deal i can work short of finding a better trading in i have wanted to get rid of bella. 1200/year mf for 81k so. Is too high. Now my 81k so are at $800/year my head is spinning. I have 283000 so a year plus my little sdo trader. I think i am happy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is company 47?

Another developer built this resort, sold some units, and then Starwood bought out the remaining inventory, and finished selling it. So there are 2 sets of deeds - deeds sold pre-Starwood, and deeds sold by Starwood.

Originally, the first company sold all weeks as 1-52, then Starwood came in and started selling deeds by season.

Company 47, just means that the deed floats 1-52. Starwood sales people try to make it sound like something special and Elite. :rolleyes:

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score

Another developer built this resort, sold some units, and then Starwood bought out the remaining inventory, and finished selling it. So there are 2 sets of deeds - deeds sold pre-Starwood, and deeds sold by Starwood.

Originally, the first company sold all weeks as 1-52, then Starwood came in and started selling deeds by season.

Company 47, just means that the deed floats 1-52. Starwood sales people try to make it sound like something special and Elite. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much! I learn something new everyday :rofl:

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just want you to know that because of all your clarifying comments about these transactions, I am still confused but confused on a higher plane.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just want you to know that because of all your clarifying comments about these transactions, I am still confused but confused on a higher plane.

+1

Confused, yet still fairly confident this is a bad deal. :rolleyes:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I now have 202 SO that i didnt have. Plus my 81k that go with my svr and company 47 uses a different SO chart. A one bedroom delux is only 44k so for a week.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
But lorenmd, did you hear anything more about the new points system? :ponder:

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
They wont roll it out in their sales office until may. Basically from what they know five resorts. You buy points in those five. And it is a blended MF.

And besides the retro and wkv purchase. I got my sdo LO into the system so now it has SO and i have access to the company 47 SO chart. And i love the SP certificates. A million i should be able to stay platinum for a long time with a million starpoints

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
And i love the SP certificates. A million i should be able to stay platinum for a long time with a million starpoints

That's another $22,800 to use 12 of those certificates to get the million points in the next how many years before they expire?

If you're going to use those to get Platinum status, you'll have to redeem for 50 nights each year (assuming you have no other stays and you're not just going to spend it on 25 one night stays). Say you do them in blocks of five nights (so the fifth night is free on points), that's 40 nights each year you have to pay for with points. Assuming you go for mid-range 12K/nt hotels, you'll go through 480K per year, to get 2 years of status, at a cost of around $250/nt.

So, you'll have to buy six of those certificates each of two years, at $11,400/yr...

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i'm already platinum. i have been for three years, mostly staying on points i love platinum and i will use those points for hotel stays and airline. i think i may save money because i won't feel like i need to spend on my spg amex card to accumulate points. it's only 25 stays a year to reach platinum, so that is also 25 nights if you do one night stays.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think i'm good with it. i spread the contracts out so i have about 4 years to purchase the certificates and the points are good forever. after i put them in one account i can transfer them to my husbands and then they have no expiration date. the SO flexibility allows me to book multiple weeks at WKV or SDO which is the place i will use them the most. much cheaper than buying a second home here in arizona and denise. my svr has SO and i can trade it for SP and it's lower MF for the 81K I get. We looked at both and the bella was a better one for me to get rid of.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think i'm good with it. i spread the contracts out so i have about 4 years to purchase the certificates and the points are good forever. after i put them in one account i can transfer them to my husbands and then they have no expiration date.

The points are supposedly "tagged" as to their origin, and since they originate with SVO, they expire after six years...

Not sure if the transfer between accounts gets rid of the expiry date.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got bonus points for a purchase several years ago, even making a reservation and canceling it seemed to remove the expiration date.