• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retirement Portfolio Recommendations

geekette

Reaction score
Speaking of disability(on a tangent)...
Today, I saw a Jaguar parked in a handicapped parking space.
IMO, anyone who drives a Jag (or a Lamborghini) should not be allowed to park in one.
<apologies to Jaguar & Lamborghini owners>
disagree. If I am in such poor health that I need special parking (and zillions of doctors appts), I'm going to use my money on a car that makes me happy. Something that maybe I could never have afforded before I came to the realization that my days are very limited and I might as well treat myself.

geekette

Reaction score
This is probably the most stupid post I have ever read here! I have a buddy that had both of his legs blown off by a claymore in Vietnam. He was medically retired and ended up eventually opening up his own business that thrived. He has some very sweet rides. So I guess in your eyes he should not be able to park in a handicapped space. Just an FYI: they don’t ask you income when applying for a handicap sticker, they ask for your need of one? Like I said, very stupid illogical post.
Bucky, surely you remember the legendary window cleaning post? We may quibble over "stupid" vs another label but it rings in my mind as quite an uproar-creator.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
The entire floor is a certified (by the State of Texas) Skilled Nursing Facility;

A 'Skilled Nursing Facility" is also known as a ........drum roll here......NURSING HOME! You are simply parsing marketing terms here. Anyone in the business of senior care knows to use the term 'skilled nursing' to the clients and their families. All the CCRC's I am aware have facilities all the way up to skilled care, memory care, and most now have palliative care. But please don't say the word 'nursing home' anywhere within earshot on their property!

Most facilities have certain rooms certified for the way they are billed. Someone may return from the hospital and stay 30 days in one room, and then be moved literally five doors down the hall to a different room based on where the payment comes from.

A skilled care unit can be stand alone, combined with assisted living, or many other combinations. None of these setups are such that you can predict the level of care. Check the Health Dept records in your state; you will find med errors reported at the most expensive facilities out there. It happens.

To most people, the term Nursing Home is still valid and used, usually alluding to the reputation they have earned from the warehousing in the past. Sadly, there are still places like that out there.

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should followup and say that the CCRC is generally the best setup out there. Because they have a 'pipeline' of residents already on board, they can keep the numbers of skilled care residents down as compared to regular assisted living and other levels. This helps elevate the overall feel of the facility to everyone, from the residents, to the families, and even the staff.

The long term occupancy of a resident lends to a greater interest of the staff and management. There is never a feeling that they are 'pushing' someone out the door as they decline, but rather a genuine effort to make every day and year of their life meaningful.

All stats also show a CCRC resident spends on average less time (=money) in skilled care in their final days.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should followup and say that the CCRC is generally the best setup out there.

Having lived in a CCRC for 19 years now I concur. Back when I was in my 40s I bought a Long Term Care Insurance Policy. When they raised the premium in Year 2 I was shocked. Then I read the Policy. It said they could increase my premium whenever they wanted as long as they raised the premium for everyone in my Class. I immediately cancelled the Policy figuring I was in for a lot of Premium increases before I would ever be eligible for benefits. Instead I started putting money aside to self insure. I used this money as part of the Front End Fee to buy into my CCRC. In hindsight it was a great move...

George

Brett

Reaction score
A 'Skilled Nursing Facility" is also known as a ........drum roll here......NURSING HOME! You are simply parsing marketing terms here. Anyone in the business of senior care knows to use the term 'skilled nursing' to the clients and their families. All the CCRC's I am aware have facilities all the way up to skilled care, memory care, and most now have palliative care. But please don't say the word 'nursing home' anywhere within earshot on their property!

Most facilities have certain rooms certified for the way they are billed. Someone may return from the hospital and stay 30 days in one room, and then be moved literally five doors down the hall to a different room based on where the payment comes from.

A skilled care unit can be stand alone, combined with assisted living, or many other combinations. None of these setups are such that you can predict the level of care. Check the Health Dept records in your state; you will find med errors reported at the most expensive facilities out there. It happens.

To most people, the term Nursing Home is still valid and used, usually alluding to the reputation they have earned from the warehousing in the past. Sadly, there are still places like that out there.

yes, the terminology with senior care has changed. Blame the boomers
Remember Geritol .... (but it's still around !)