• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retirement Portfolio Recommendations

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We don't need to touch our savings other than RMD and I told the FA to go higher on stocks but he said no. I had already turned my entire IRA into annuities. He said no, he still wanted us to still protect the savings...

WHOA. Time to get a new FA.

Brett

Reaction score
Really- if some people can get by in retirement without having to touch their savings, if it were me I would keep most of it safe and sound in savings accounts and CD's and so forth and with the rest live it up.

that's one way to think about it.
But some people have a long retirement and benefit from being partially invested in stocks with a longer time horizon. For example, my 98 year old mother with a very good pension has been retired for almost 50 years. Being partially invested in stocks made it possible for her to live in luxurious assisted living!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I retired 20 years ago I opted to take an annuity with a 3% COLA rather than taking a lump sum. Probably the best financial decision I ever made. On Jan 01 I will receive my COLA which is now equal to 60% of my pension. No investment decisions for me. All I have to do is monitor the financial condition of the entity paying my Pension which I might add is excellent...

George

geekette

Reaction score
...But some people have a long retirement and benefit from being partially invested in stocks with a longer time horizon. For example, my 98 year old mother with a very good pension has been retired for almost 50 years. Being partially invested in stocks made it possible for her to live in luxurious assisted living!

Yes.

I expect to make it to nearly 100 (many many relatives at and past) and have no pension nor spouse, so I need stocks for outpacing decades of inflation. The idea of locking it up in cds and bonds creeps out my elder self, picturing tuna cans in my van cabinet. I do not harbor illusions of luxury, rather, I am attempting to prevent van down by the river existence when savings at low rates falls short of life expense yet years on planet exceeds expectations. only stocks over the long haul have a shot at financing my end of life. ymmv

I can live beneath my means, but I'm not willing to bypass the opportunity for my money to make much more money than if it sat in bonds and other low rate/fixed instruments. I can't get that time back. I'm 54, semi-retired, and full on with div paying stocks. I have never been a rule of thumb person, I developed this strategy when I was very young and have not deviated. because it is working for me.

I was catching up on some investments, see who paid me while I wasn't looking, check some earnings reports, etc. and see plenty of double digit dividend raises for companies I own. Nobody but a corporate giant I own is going to up my ante like that. If I can't float myself on divvies and SS, I will still have shares to sell if I wish. With decades of odd lots to choose from, there is also the advantage of working the tax obligation to my best advantage (net out, for example, or force loss carryover).

I think far too much fear has been heaped on the realities of A Stock. Thank you to anyone paying their electric bill, picking up RX, shopping Costco, buying a car part, groceries or toiletries. You are helping me get paid in dividends.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Interesting to read all the different perspectives. Here is how the IRA was broken out this morning.

58% Domestic stock
6% Foreign stock
20% Bonds
13% Short Term
3% Other

This was classified as a Growth Portfolio and made up of 14 different mutual funds, mainly from Fidelity.
When I originally set this portfolio I used a screen looking for 5 star, low cost funds. It has performed very well over the years.

Today I sold 1/2 of each funds except the bond, utility and dividend ones. After the first of the year I plan on taking the cash from these sales and reinvesting in Muni’s and fixed income funds.

We are lucky enough to have two pensions and our social security for monthly expenses so the IRA is not life and death for us. But, the older we get the more cautious we get. If it was a different type of administration I might not be as concerned but with this one I don’t relish the drama that seems to go on day in and day out. Thanks for all the great input.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@geekette I look up to you when it comes to dividend stocks investment. It makes alot of sense when they are held in non-taxable (Roth IRA) or tax deferred (Traditional IRA) accounts. Is that what you would also do with taxable investment accounts? My thinking is that one may end up with paying with more taxes, and potentially get bumped to higher tax brackets, with the dividend payouts. I cannot get my head around this one.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Interesting to read all the different perspectives. Here is how the IRA was broken out this morning.

58% Domestic stock
6% Foreign stock
20% Bonds
13% Short Term
3% Other

This was classified as a Growth Portfolio and made up of 14 different mutual funds, mainly from Fidelity.
When I originally set this portfolio I used a screen looking for 5 star, low cost funds. It has performed very well over the years.

Today I sold 1/2 of each funds except the bond, utility and dividend ones. After the first of the year I plan on taking the cash from these sales and reinvesting in Muni’s and fixed income funds.

We are lucky enough to have two pensions and our social security for monthly expenses so the IRA is not life and death for us. But, the older we get the more cautious we get. If it was a different type of administration I might not be as concerned but with this one I don’t relish the drama that seems to go on day in and day out. Thanks for all the great input.

And now it’s considered balanced:

50%. Domestic stock
7%. Foreign stock
25%. Bonds
15%. Short term
3%. Other

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And now it’s considered balanced:

50%. Domestic stock
7%. Foreign stock
25%. Bonds
15%. Short term
3%. Other

Do you think such a small adjustment really matters? I don't rebalance ours much because it seems like such a small adjustment.

I mean- I can see if you are going from 50% stocks to 25% stocks. etc....

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
All this is based on the future being the same basic status quo.

What would happen if we had a big prolonged inflation or deflation to your savings.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
@geekette I look up to you when it comes to dividend stocks investment. It makes alot of sense when they are held in non-taxable (Roth IRA) or tax deferred (Traditional IRA) accounts. Is that what you would also do with taxable investment accounts? My thinking is that one may end up with paying with more taxes, and potentially get bumped higher tax brackets, with the dividend payouts. I cannot get my head around this one.
Yes, this has happened to us.
Also many years ago, our broker got us into what he called dsips which were unit trusts of 25 high dividend stocks that were held for five years then sold. You got all the dividends plus they went up about 65 to 80%, real good but the taxes were high.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Do you think such a small adjustment really matters? I don't rebalance ours much because it seems like such a small adjustment.

Probably not but it makes me feel better and gives us a good chunk of change to reinvest after the first of the year when maybe things calm down a little bit. With the changes I made it gives us a little more protection and also still allows us to take advantage of anymore upside potential. Once we get a better idea of which way things are gonna move I will adjust further. Just trying to be a little more proactive under these rocky conditions.

When we were younger it didn’t matter as much. We had the rest of our life to get it back. Well, we don’t have that luxury anymore since the end is getting closer and closer and we are on fixed incomes now. This is what’s comfortable for us at this point in life. I wouldn’t recommend it for anybody still in their working years.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
...But some people have a long retirement and benefit from being partially invested in stocks with a longer time horizon. For example, my 98 year old mother with a very good pension has been retired for almost 50 years. Being partially invested in stocks made it possible for her to live in luxurious assisted living!

Yes.

I expect to make it to nearly 100 (many many relatives at and past) and have no pension nor spouse, so I need stocks for outpacing decades of inflation. The idea of locking it up in cds and bonds creeps out my elder self, picturing tuna cans in my van cabinet. I do not harbor illusions of luxury, rather, I am attempting to prevent van down by the river existence when savings at low rates falls short of life expense yet years on planet exceeds expectations. only stocks over the long haul have a shot at financing my end of life. ymmv

I can live beneath my means, but I'm not willing to bypass the opportunity for my money to make much more money than if it sat in bonds and other low rate/fixed instruments. I can't get that time back. I'm 54, semi-retired, and full on with div paying stocks. I have never been a rule of thumb person, I developed this strategy when I was very young and have not deviated. because it is working for me.

I was catching up on some investments, see who paid me while I wasn't looking, check some earnings reports, etc. and see plenty of double digit dividend raises for companies I own. Nobody but a corporate giant I own is going to up my ante like that. If I can't float myself on divvies and SS, I will still have shares to sell if I wish. With decades of odd lots to choose from, there is also the advantage of working the tax obligation to my best advantage (net out, for example, or force loss carryover).

I think far too much fear has been heaped on the realities of A Stock. Thank you to anyone paying their electric bill, picking up RX, shopping Costco, buying a car part, groceries or toiletries. You are helping me get paid in dividends.

do you have the dividends in mutual funds or individual stocks?

I have a Vanguard Dividend MF

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also do not have to touch our saving other than RMD at this time.
Now if We just can meet that “life expectancy of 23.3 or 93 years old.”
We would be two (2) happy campers . LOL.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Assuming he's spending somewhere around 4% of portfolio per year, then going from 58% to 50% stock means he's liquidating stock worth 2 years of expenses. Yes, I'd call that a significant adjustment.

geekette

Reaction score
@geekette I look up to you when it comes to dividend stocks investment. It makes alot of sense when they are held in non-taxable (Roth IRA) or tax deferred (Traditional IRA) accounts. Is that what you would also do with taxable investment accounts? My thinking is that one may end up with paying with more taxes, and potentially get bumped to higher tax brackets, with the dividend payouts. I cannot get my head around this one.
Thank you for such kind words.

For taxable, I am also a div investor. While the annual div haul is far less than my salary was, taxation was really not something making a difference, just throws into overall pot of income, and I pay Uncle Sam in accordance to overall income for the year and don't bother tallying which dollar when crossed what line. I do not let the tax tail wag the dog, and never have, but most of my savings are IRA, so I was unlikely to reach salary-level dividends from taxable account. I am not wealthy enough for tax avoidance to be a strategy that I need, and am firmly on the pay-as-you-go plan (for example, there is no chance that I would convert IRA to Roth by pre-paying tax).

If tax on divs is a major consideration, it could be handled by what companies you hold taxable, and I would suggest maybe the lower yielding growthier stocks. I would caution on that, however, if the eventual idea is to sell for gains as those growthy companies can bring a cap gains bill much larger than divs. Utilities are rather sedate but steady payers that might feel comfortable in a taxable account. There aren't generally wild price swings so you generally know the going price if you feel like you need to jettison shares to decrease income and could net out to 0 gain, 0 loss while decreasing the div income.

For myself, I like flexibility so while each portfolio has A Purpose, I do not stack the deck in terms of growth prospects, higher or lower paying companies. Each portfolio has the companies that meet its mission without regard to the other characteristics of the companies. If you play around with some numbers, noodling between 2 and 4% yield, you can get a handle on what kind of income you might be seeing and assess whether that does elevate you too far on taxable income.

Say, for example, you could easily absorb X as new income without any real change to your tax life, you could determine how much of a capital base would achieve that. The first year, anyway. Nothing stays the same, dividends are often raised, sometimes by 10% or more, so that growth of dividend income is something you'd want to consider as well. Must be said, sometimes dividends are cut or suspended. The quality of the company matters for that, but still never a guarantee that next quarter there will be a dividend.

If you needed an offsetting strategy to feel more comfortable about that div income, the easy thing is to sell loss lots from that same taxable account. To me it defeats the purpose, but, I have few moving parts in my financial life and don't have a troubling relationship with taxes. Others have more complex situations, or, frankly, more wealth. My mission is to keep my money working for me, regardless of tax impact. After all, I will never owe more tax on div income than the amount of div income received. Today it is taxed as Ordinary Income. There are never guarantees on tax law.

I think that if someone has a chunk of money they don't need for a while but want it working for them, div payers is a good place to go with it, even taxable (taxable was my first portfolio, I still own those companies and all the div-bought shares through time). The entire hunk has no tax impact until sold, so the only issue is the comparatively minor income being thrown off of it.

One last item on taxable stock portfolios - on passing the account to an inheritor, stocks get stepped-up basis. So if you bought Company A today for 10 bucks a share but when Ben the Beneficiary inherits, the going price is 50 a share, Ben's basis is 50. The $40 share difference kind of vaporizes with the original owner, never to be taxed as gain. I think that aspect is something that could make the taxable stock portfolio something that could assist with your intended legacy. Also makes holding growthy companies less daunting if the tax bite is the rub. There maybe will not be a tax rub.

Note also that there is no required spend down of an inherited taxable portfolio. Ben could let the divs accumulate in cash and use them to live on while not touching shares of stock, or keep on reinvesting dividends until the income is needed. If reinvested, this lucky beneficiary will also have a lot of flexibility (control) in selling specific share lots to sway tax liability should the day come when div income isn't enough and selling is necessary.

hope this helps. I'm on some weird medication that I will blame for being a bit all over the place.....

geekette

Reaction score
do you have the dividends in mutual funds or individual stocks?

I have a Vanguard Dividend MF

No funds for me, individual stocks.

Note that I am not anti-fund, I just don't need them so I cut out the middleman and his expenses, plus get to vote my shares.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am just not smart enough for all this. Throw the tax stuff in and i am lost and I really don;t want to deal with it (or anything for that matter) anymore. Overwhelmed.

We have mutual funds and ETF's. I am starting to freak out over using our savings to live on come January 1st. Especially because we will have the expenses of this rental and the new house together for a few months into the year.Thousands of dollars. I am not used to taking money out of my accounts. One of them was my trip to Italy account. Another is a home improvement account. I always had designated cash accounts.

I have an email out to the FA to schedule a meeting for sometime in January. This year is going to be beyond challenging for us. I also need to get someone to do our taxes. I just can't handle it this upcoming year.

It's like I am smart enough to know to make sure we handle withdrawals correctly but i am not smart enough to know how to deal with it. Hubby is the same so I can't depend on him. I just wish someone would do everything for us and put the money in our checking account. LOL!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just not smart enough for all this. Throw the tax stuff in and i am lost and I really don;t want to deal with it (or anything for that matter) anymore. Overwhelmed.

We have mutual funds and ETF's. I am starting to freak out over using our savings to live on come January 1st. Especially because we will have the expenses of this rental and the new house together for a few months into the year.Thousands of dollars. I am not used to taking money out of my accounts. One of them was my trip to Italy account. Another is a home improvement account. I always had designated cash accounts.

I have an email out to the FA to schedule a meeting for sometime in January. This year is going to be beyond challenging for us. I also need to get someone to do our taxes. I just can't handle it this upcoming year.

It's like I am smart enough to know to make sure we handle withdrawals correctly but i am not smart enough to know how to deal with it. Hubby is the same so I can't depend on him. I just wish someone would do everything for us and put the money in our checking account. LOL!
I am not smart enough to handle investments like @geekette or money managers but I am smart enough to figure out cash flows, income and expenses, taxes, how to minimize taxes and costs etc. I got burnt on handling my own investments and now simply stay away from it. I still have to decide on how my money manager allocates our investments.

Everyone is different.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I prefer low-cost ETF's which offer more diversification than I could get from stocks.
I use a MF for my foreign investment portion, where I think active management is better.

But I also have 20 individual bonds with maturity dates from 2021 - 2030.
I'll collect 3.25 - 5.5% interest and have face-value at returned maturity.

geekette

Reaction score
None of this has anything to do with smarts. Much of it has to do with fear instilled by the fi industry itself which is designed to make you doubt yourself and think, oh, money people are So Smart! nope, just people, like you and me.

Deconstructing most of the articles out there, it's about scaring you into needing their services because nobody but them knows anything about money. That's bunk. The scare factor about healthcare costs has just started, which is a great boost for LTC among other fi products. There are endless wordy diatribes designed to confuse so you give up and let someone else make money off your money by pretending that you can't do it yourself. Wordy analysis meant to cause you to stop looking up acronyms or get a headache wondering about that yield cross or other obscure fake tellers of doom to come.

I simply set out to take care of things myself, and so I did. The difference between me and many others is that I did it Young. I spent a lot of time in the library and with home delivery of Kiplinger's magazine, until I outgrew it. I would also say that Jane Bryant Quinn's Making the Most of Your Money was a helper back then. Then, since I learn by doing, I invested. Thirty years later, pretty much all in equities all the time, I am still waiting to lose money in the market. I invest in Companies, not the market, and that is an important difference.

Anyone doubting their smarts needs to take a look at their own lives and think through what you have accomplished that you would not have thought possible when you were 18. Nothing at all to do with smarts. We learn what we are interested in, and if interested enough, put a lot of time into it. I was young and poor and certainly had the time (and lack of social life) to study up on one of life's most important things, money. it's only important because it is critical for obtaining goods and services necessary, and I was pretty sure that graduating at recession, I was screwed and needed every nickel to start working for me Immediately because I was probably only ever going to earn nickels. Granted, I have a good head for business, and numbers, and had a shiny new business degree that I earned alongside some nasty jerks that were heading into managing other people's money. I wouldn't trust them not to cheat off my test, no way I would trust them with proceeds from my toils.

I have lived with my strategy for a long time. I have ignored fear and greed of others while I quietly go about feathering my nest. I 'm not doing any of this for bragging rights, I am doing this to float my old butt to the finish line with as much control of it as I can have, with flexibility (80 companies covering all the industries I want to be in and definitely sidestepping some I don't want a part of (planes and autos, for example, tho I like railroads and GPC)). So far, taking a risk on American business has panned out. In fact, the biggest risk I face is not market crash, recession, div cuts, etc., it is the sudden and total annihilation of US commerce. As I deem that risk to be so unlikely as to never come to pass, I am freed of worry. I could lose 10 companies overnight and still be ok. It might hurt, depending on which 10, but I'd be fine.

Anyone scared to own stock, just give it a shot with a bit of money that you can afford to lose. Now that there are no-fee trades, just try it. Don't look at it often (the key to not making sudden bad decisions! don't just do something, Sit There!), let it ride a year or 5 and see what happens. Maybe $100 becomes $125 or $75, or $500 (I am amazed at how many quick doubles I have seen in my own accounts, but, honestly, 2010 to now has been PHENOMENAL), you still have as many shares as you bought. I swear this is not as scary as others would have you believe and every one of you has the power to prove it to yourself. Sure, companies go bankrupt, even great companies can hit a nasty skid, but over decades, the direction of the stock market is Up.

Look, I love this stuff. It has been key to my freedom and general lack of tether to the stock market. I follow the companies, not the stock. If they keep making money, I do, too. I have been an oddball div investor for a long time, the weirdo that doesn't play the market but is somehow in it. Div investing fell out of favor because others could not make money off it. Buy low, sell high generates fees on both sides, that's why this is what Wall Street wants you to do. My buy and hold has not dented their lifestyle one bit, but I have kept all those extra fees and expenses in my account to work for me. Buy and hold is not for everyone, but I am so glad that I made that rule for myself and considered my investments to be super secret savings not to be tapped unless Dire Emergency. Lucky me to not encounter that.

I simply look at things differently than others, but will end on these little reminders: it is a market of stocks, not a stock market. The market runs on investor sentiment, which is the only reason that there are most everything up or most everything down days - it is investors making that happen, not the companies whose stock trades.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I understand. You are terrific, geekette!

I, too, learned about money from Jane Bryant Quinn's book, Kiplingers and Money magazine, and tons of other money books. I actually enjoyed learning about it. But I think I have reached my limit now. I did alright saving money but no longer being able to save money and now having to withdraw it and live on it and make it last- this is the part I have trouble with.

That is why I have to meet with the FA again. I need a lot of hand holding for this next year and going forward. Plus doing the Roth conversions and taxes, which I always did myself but want to get a CPA this time, and just everything. As long as the FA advises me how to invest my husband's 401k and pension $-AND I will also have my input- I can do that. I guess it is just we have a lot going on, too.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I understand. You are terrific, geekette! I, too, learned about money from Jane Bryant Quinn's book, Kiplingers and Money magazine, and tons of other money books. But I think I have reached my limit now. I did alright saving money but no longer being able to save money and now having to withdraw it and make it last- this is the part I have trouble with.

That is why I have to meet with the FA again. I need a lot of hand holding for this next year and going forward. Plus doing the Roth conversions and taxes, which I always did myself but want to get a CPA this time, and just everything. As long as the FA advises me how to invest my husband's 401k and pension $-AND I will also have my input- I can do that. I guess it is just we have a lot going on, too.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...I did alright saving money but no longer being able to save money and now having to withdraw it and make it last- this is the part I have trouble with...

I worry about that, too.
I was not happy taking $50K out of our next-egg for our little kitchen project.
But somehow, we made nearly all of it back in the market. :ponder:

So, we'll be about where we started, but got a new kitchen in lieu of a gain.
(I can live with that.)
We just need to remember that the $$-tree out back only has so much fruit.