• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retail vs Resale

Hawaii Nut

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We need your help. My husband and I just made a decision to by 60,000 points timeshare from Aviawest for around $21,000. This happened just last night. Of course we see the value and common sense of doing this.

NOW.......we come across this site with all this knowledge and several other sites that are selling the exact same thing at a quarter of the price for resale.

Are we absolutely out of our minds to go ahead with this contract we signed last night? Is there an advantage to buying from the company rather than a time share owner that is re-selling?

All the TS terminology is hard to understand. Do you get the EXACT same thing (benefits, etc) buying a resale as you would buying from the company?

Please consult ASAP as we still have time to back out of this deal (buyer's remorse window).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is no benefit from the developer that is worth the thousands more that you have to pay. You should absolutely rescind and research your options. If you decide you want the first deal after all, you can go back and get it (no matter what the salesperson told you about "one day only.") If you decide to buy resale instead, you will save thousands, and often even 10's of thousands of dollars!

Here is a FAQ about Rescinding - it was written for a different timeshare, but besides that it all applies to you - Rescind!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Listen to Denise

Rescind before it's to late

Do not call

Follow recision the instrcution to the letter

Even if you think in person, by fax, by fedex is better, for it ti count it needs to follow the instructions in the package

I guarantee they will try to sweeten the deal, keep in mind those resales you saw at 75 % off, may be wish list prices and and available for even less to take the on going maintenance fee obligation off their hands

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Act Fast -- Hurry -- Before It's Too Late To Get Out Of It.

Rescinda-sinda-sinda !

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind Now!!!

Here is a 30k annual unit from Aviawest on Ebay for a current price of $97.00 plus closing and transfer fees that has 60,000 points this year:ignore:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCI-POINTS-Vanc...18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218724976703

These are RCI points, you can lease a 3 year program for $622 ( includes 1st year of RCI membership) with annual fees of $573 yielding 63,000 annual points

http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/classifieds/viewad-192.html

So, you could rent this for 3 years, and have 189,000 points to use over that three years for only $2600, not the $21,000 ( plus the next 2 years RCI and annual fees) you have currently agreed to pay:cheer:

fwiw,

Greg

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Hawaii Nut, you are one of the lucky minority. You found us in time. Get out by writing a simple letter and mailing it today.
Then join us (as a visitor or member for $15) and chat away for a couple months on why we all love timesharing, but do it on the cheap. You will come to understand the intricacies before you make your next purchase (as you will, but on the resale market).

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recind it now by mail and fax...

Also, before you purchase learn about your vacation style your expectations and the many TS options out there before you purchase again.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we absolutely out of our minds to go ahead with this contract we signed last night?

Unless you have money to burn, yes, you are.:)

Is there an advantage to buying from the company rather than a time share owner that is re-selling?

Occasionally you'll get some bonus weeks or other extras - but that's not an advantage if you're paying thousands more, often tens of thousands more :eek:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I like most everyone will tell you BUY RESALE, But to let you know that every once in a while it may makes sense to buy from the developer. If it is a branded new resort and you want a penthouse unit on a event week, you may not be able to find that week resale anywhere. Or the TS company offers a special "club" benifit only to buyers of developer time. But 99% of the time, buying resale is the way to go.

Hawaii Nut

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you all for your comments and advise. PLEASE, keep it coming!

It is great to find one of the few forums that seem to lack the attitude that so many have. You are all respectful and I am glad my wife found you!

Thanks again,
Hawaii Nut's Husband :hi:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Attitude, Shmattatoood.

It is great to find one of the few forums that seem to lack the attitude that so many have.
Shux, TUG-BBS folks have plenty of attitude.

We just save (most of) it for the high-pressure arm-twisting, guilt-tripping, psychological-tricking timeshare sellers who serve baloney instead of sticking to facts, for the upfront-fee make-believe timeshare resale companies, for the postcard-slinging Pay Us To Take It Off Your Hands folks, and other similar unsavory types lurking on the fringes of the timeshare biz in ways that jack up costs unnecessarily without providing value for money.

Beside getting right down to the factual brass tacks of timeshares & timesharing, TUG-BBS is a way of getting vicarious enjoyment out of timesharing in between actual timeshare vacations.

Face it, timeshares are just for fun & enjoyment. So it's just natural for TUG-BBS to be a place for more of the same.

Welcome aboard.

Hawaii Nut

Reaction score
Whew!!!! We did it - rescinded the whole thing. :cheer: :cheer:

The business manager phoned us and talked very respectfully to us, completely understanding that paying $21000 for something we could get on the resale market for $4800 did not make any sense! He was very gracious and understanding.

Now, the only thing we have to do is go into their office and sign off on the contract!!!?????
Hmmm, I bet this is just a last-ditch effort to get something from us. What do you think?

I am NOT allowing us to take our cheque book with us!

I am making a promise to all you good, supportive people here.......We will be strong!!!

I can say NO.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Whew!!!! We did it - rescinded the whole thing. :cheer: :cheer:

The business manager phoned us and talked very respectfully to us, completely understanding that paying $21000 for something we could get on the resale market for $4800 did not make any sense! He was very gracious and understanding.

Now, the only thing we have to do is go into their office and sign off on the contract!!!?????
Hmmm, I bet this is just a last-ditch effort to get something from us. What do you think?

I am NOT allowing us to take our cheque book with us!

I am making a promise to all you good, supportive people here.......We will be strong!!!

I can say NO.

Make sure you follow the rescind/cancelation requirements in your contract and if it does not require you to go to the office to sign anything, than don't.

They will try to get you to take another deal, maybe even for a "resale price", no matter what do not take the deal. Research timeshare purchases on this site and others for several months and make sure you know what you want/need to meet your vacation goals.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Does That Sound Right To You ?

Now, the only thing we have to do is go into their office and sign off on the contract!
I may just be super-suspicious when it comes to the timeshare sellers, but that sounds fishy to me.

I've heard of signing contracts, but I have never heard of signing contract cancellations -- so what more is there to sign off other than the rescission letter you've already signed ?

Plus, when you're back home & miles away from the timeshare you're rescinding, it's hardly realistic to be required to come back to sign off anything.

By me, if you've sent in your rescission letter & the timeshare company has acknowledged receiving it, the matter is Case Closed.

Going back to the office to sign anything just gives the desperate timeshare sellers 1 more shot at you.

If I were in that situation, I might tell'm I'd show up -- but then I would not show up.

Rescinded is rescinded. What more could be done on your part -- other than accidentally falling for some tricky last-ditch sales pitch (e.g., Try Before You Buy or some such) ?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I may just be super-suspicious when it comes to the timeshare sellers, but that sounds fishy to me.

I've heard of signing contracts, but I have never heard of signing contract cancellations -- so what more is there to sign off other than the rescission letter you've already signed ?

To sign a rescission of the rescission?
Perhaps the new doc he's about to sign is to turn over what's left of his soul to the prince of darkness.

Last edited:

Hawaii Nut

Reaction score
WHEW!!

Well, we went into the Aviawest office last night to sign the paperwork they wanted us to sign. I do have to say, they were very professional and there was no pressure or hostility at all. I didn't feel that they were trying to convince us not to rescind or anything. :)

The manager explained to us what he saw as the advantages of purchasing from them (the developer) but I don't really think he thought even that was worth $20000 for 60,000 points when we could get the same for $4800!

He did say we could buy their 30,000 point offer for $12000 and he would help transfer the $48000, 60,000 point resale to our account so we would get 90,000 points for less than the first deal we signed.

All-in-all, I think he was making an effort :rolleyes: but really didn't believe what he was saying!!

So, we all signed a paper saying the contract was voided and they would send us our deposit immediately. It's all good.:cheer:

Now we can take our time, do some investigation and make an EDUCATED decision. We still believe timeshare is the way to go, just that there is a better way.

Thanks for your support and advice.