• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resorts Good for Families w/Teens

Newport Drive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Looking to use my 3 BR Marriott property to trade for a resort in Mexico (Riviera Maya/Cancun preferably) through II. Any recommendations on resorts that are higher end with facilities that appeal to families with teens. Activities, pools, variety of restaurants. Or if there are any AI resorts that don't have ridiculous charges on the additional AI fees per person. Being by the beach is important but don't require best swimming beach since my kids are more interested in the pool area with music and activities poolside. Any recommendations appreciated. Too many places that I have seen listed on II's website just don't look like the kind of standards that we are paying for with our Marriott timeshare.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 3 teens and we had a great time at Grande Luxe Riviera maya. Any of the buildings on that property would be great. Huge, beautiful pools and great restaurants. We have been trying to get an exchange for spring break this year and can't find anything without mandatory AI fees and they are crazy high!

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also loved the grand mayan property. The pools were excellent but it is far from anything else. I rented a car but a lot of people are not comfortable with that. The same trip we stayed at the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun. Also a lovely resort with a great location. Directly across the street from a mall with restaurants and shops. Also a short bus ride to anything Cancun offers. Depending on if your teens want to stay at the resort or get out and about exploring that might affect your decision. Since we aren't activity people we didn't notice how many were offered.

Joan

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Any of the Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss, or Grand Luxxe properties are great for teeens. They have lots of pools and are on the beach. THe ones in Nuevo Vallarta have the water slide and wave pool too. The Grand Luxxe is the largest and nicest, most upscale, but the GB & GM are nice too. The GL gives you access to everything on the property and a full-size fridge.

The Mayan Palaces are fine, but not as large with small kitchenettes with a mini fridge and you do not get access to all the pools.

There are lots of restaurants at these resorts and all levels can use those.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
We took 5 of our teen grand kids to GL in Nuevo. They quickly found the activity center at the Grand Mayan. They have hourly planned activities every day; we only saw them at dinner. They met kids they still stay in touch with; the activity leaders are great at pulling all kids in.

Mike

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Beware the Mexican Timeshae Presentation

The mayan resorts mentioned above are notorious for high pressure timeshare sales presentation. I recommend you decline to take the tour.

The Grande Luxxe is the highest level of this group and is superior to ant Marriott I have experienced. It may be more like the Four Seasons or Park Hyatt level of rooms. Mexican service exceeds anything you can imagine. Daily maid sevice of course. Great table service. The Grande Luxxe 3 BR has a room type called "Spa Tower" with spa facilities in room.

I have a personal favorite: Royal Sands. You cannot exchange in because it is all-inclusive for exchanges. AI is optional when you rent direct from an owner.(Never worth it for me because I do not drink) You could do well to rent your three bedroom if it is a real platinum high end unit. Then rent from an owner at the Royal Sands now. I own at MGV, MVO, MCV, MGO and have stayed at 30 other timeshare resorts.

We are at the Royal Sands this week and have stayed 6 other times in Cancun and Riviera Maya. You do not need 3BR Marriott to exchange into most resorts here. My preference is to rent my Canyon Villas and use the cash to rent what I want here.

PM me and I will get you up to date.

:cool:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The mayan resorts mentioned above are notorious for high pressure timeshare sales presentation. I recommend you decline to take the tour.

The Grande Luxxe is the highest level of this group and is superior to ant Marriott I have experienced. It may be more like the Four Seasons or Park Hyatt level of rooms. Mexican service exceeds anything you can imagine. Daily maid sevice of course. Great table service. The Grande Luxxe 3 BR has a room type called "Spa Tower" with spa facilities in room.

I have a personal favorite: Royal Sands. You cannot exchange in because it is all-inclusive for exchanges. AI is optional when you rent direct from an owner.(Never worth it for me because I do not drink) You could do well to rent your three bedroom if it is a real platinum high end unit. Then rent from an owner at the Royal Sands now. I own at MGV, MVO, MCV, MGO and have stayed at 30 other timeshare resorts.

We are at the Royal Sands this week and have stayed 6 other times in Cancun and Riviera Maya. You do not need 3BR Marriott to exchange into most resorts here. My preference is to rent my Canyon Villas and use the cash to rent what I want here.

PM me and I will get you up to date.

:cool:

We own canyon villas and Royal Hacienda weeks. I always book a March spring break week at CV and then rent it out. It generates enough $ to okay MF and rent second Mexico week.o

Outdoors4me

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also loved the grand mayan property. The pools were excellent but it is far from anything else. I rented a car but a lot of people are not comfortable with that. The same trip we stayed at the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun. Also a lovely resort with a great location. Directly across the street from a mall with restaurants and shops. Also a short bus ride to anything Cancun offers. Depending on if your teens want to stay at the resort or get out and about exploring that might affect your decision. Since we aren't activity people we didn't notice how many were offered.

Joan

Grand Mayan, Luxxe, Bliss etc. in Riviera Maya all have regular shuttles that go into Playa del Carmen. Also, it's a short taxi ride to Puerto Morelos: more old Mexico, great snorkeling and diving right off the beach (but do get a tour to take you out to the reef: dangerous to go out yourself).