• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort reviews need info on DVD and WiFi

Bill4728

Reaction score
What do you think about asking that all resort reviews should include info about DVD players and Internet access? In todays modern world, not having a cheap DVD player at a resort is the sign of a poorly stocked resort. And many of us now find Internet access a feature which we need to know about.

TIA

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with you about internet, however I wouldn't make wireless a requirement. Many places charge +/-$10. a day, which is too dear for me. I'd rather use dialup at 50 cents a call if necessary. But I would like to know if I am staying at a place where the phones are hard-wired and you can't hook in a modem wire (Imperial Waikiki used to be like that)/

As for not having a "cheap DVD" player being the sign of a poorly stocked resort, I beg to differ. To many of us, its totally unnecessary. One of my resorts, in Las Vegas, is slowly adding them. But how many people watch DVD's during a stay in Las Vegas? And if the resort has, say 500 units, times $50. or so for a cheap DVD player, how much is that you want the owners to spend? If its that important to you, watch on your laptop.

JMHO, of course. YMMV, and prolly does.

Fern

Bill4728 said:
In todays modern world, not having a cheap DVD player at a resort is the sign of a poorly stocked resort.
TIA

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Personally, the last thing I care about when away is Internet access. I haven't a clue whether or not any of the resorts I have stayed at have the facility. No problem in people including the fact if they know it, but I feel that expecting comments on availability or otherwise is taking it too far.
Resort reviews are all about what interested or affected an individual not every detail of the resort. If we start requesting specific information where do we stop? Details such as Internet access should be the responsibility of the resort to provide in the resort details.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Internet access is important to me as I always travel with a laptop. I try to check in daily at work, just so I don't have any surprises when I get home. I also usually check TUG and my personal email. I'm too cheap to pay much for service, however, and get really annoyed at those resorts that charge for toll-free access. A modest per call charge I can live with (I think my bill was under $3 for the week at the Embassy Grand Beach) but $1 for a toll-free call crosses the line. The only resort I've ever stayed in where I just could NOT get the dialup to work was the Marriott Custom House.

As for the DVD players, unless the kids noticed, I would probably never know. They like DVDs, but I don't own any and if I did, would watch them at home, not on vacation. We don't have cable TV at home, so we enjoy watching some TV shows if we are sitting around the resort. Should I confess an addiction to the Sci Fi channel? And last year while we were at OLCC, we discovered some show that was true stories about airports. What a hoot! Usually the weather channel stays on if I get control of the remote (which doesn't happen very often).

Sheila

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aren't those types of things in the II/RCI online resort descriptions and listed in the confirmations?

I probably wouldn't notice if there was a DVD player, but high speed internet access is usually "advertised" at the resort.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Reviews needed in and of themselves!

Everytime I have a resort I need to learn more about I am thrilled to find a TUG review. I rely on our members for honesty and use Tuggers reports in making exchange decisions. If it's mandated that dvd and internet access be included we will lose out on hearing from Tuggers who aren't concerned about those issues. I care more about the cleanliness of units, quality of the resort, etc. When I want to access the web, and the connection isn't readily available at the exchange resort, I use libraries or internet cafes.
Barb

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barb,

You have voiced my feelings exactly. I didn't express them before as I might be viewed as biased as I look after the European Reviews.