• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort recommendations for an RCI points resale?

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are any resorts particularly good to own via RCI points (for MF reasons I would guess)? I am considering looking for a small RCI points contract on Ebay but I am not sure what to look for, what to watch out for, etc. I would be looking to use the points mainly for the last minute exchanges at 45 days or less, so a small annual contract of say under 30K points would be fine with me. As of right now I only own RCI weeks traders but I am looking to add RCI points to my timeshare "portfolio". Also, does anyone know offhand the approximate fees for the last minute exchanges (on top of the 9000 or fewer points required?). Thanks for any advice!

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the link to the 3-year lease of RCI Points and here's another link for low cost Points timeshares. With the lease you always have the option to not renew.
RCI Points membership fees range from $124-$499 depending on the length of membership (1 to 5 years), BUT your Weeks fee is included, so you would get a credit for any weeks membership fees already paid.
Points transaction fees are $39-$139 depending on the number of nights reserved (1 to 5 years). In addition, if you stay at a resort for less than 7 nights, the resort (not RCI) may charge you an additional cleaning fee.

The 9000 point vacations are just weeks resorts that are booked within 45 days of check-in and because of this, availabilities may be limited. I believe the standard 'weeks' transaction fee applies for these transactions.

You might be able to post a request on the "Sightings" board to have anRCI member look up the current 9000 point vacations.

Last edited:

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
That leasing points thing is pretty interesting! I'll have to get a feel for whether or not we could get what we want from the last minute/9000 point vacations to see if it's worthwhile to lease some points or not. I like the fact that it's only for 3 years, so no long-term committment to more timeshares!

Our weeks account is free with our Wyndham Kingsgate ownership. Would we get the $89 or $124 or whatever the weeks fee is credited against that $124-$499 fee even though our weeks membership is free?

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
That leasing points thing is pretty interesting! I'll have to get a feel for whether or not we could get what we want from the last minute/9000 point vacations to see if it's worthwhile to lease some points or not. I like the fact that it's only for 3 years, so no long-term committment to more timeshares!

Our weeks account is free with our Wyndham Kingsgate ownership. Would we get the $89 or $124 or whatever the weeks fee is credited against that $124-$499 fee even though our weeks membership is free?

Very unlikely.

Vincent.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wyndham owners can clarify, but I think the free RCI membership for Wyndham owners is for only exchanging Wyndham units. If you own at other RCI you need to have a separate membership.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham owners can clarify, but I think the free RCI membership for Wyndham owners is for only exchanging Wyndham units. If you own at other RCI you need to have a separate membership.

Correct, but I have heard that if you have an RCI points account which RCI also give you a weeks account they will merge your weeks account into one. In other word they do not provide you with another week account.

Vincent.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, but I have heard that if you have an RCI points account which RCI also give you a weeks account they will merge your weeks account into one. In other word they do not provide you with another week account.

Vincent.
That's true, but if their only weeks account is through Wyndham, I don't think they get any credit towards their points account.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's true, but if their only weeks account is through Wyndham, I don't think they get any credit towards their points account.

Correct, you most definitely will not get any credit for the merging of weeks account.

Vincent.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a Weeks account, and then become an RCI Points member, your Weeks account will remain exactly the same way it is, but you will not have to pay any annual fees for it. Payment of the RCI Points annual fee covers the cost of both accounts.

And if you have unused years left in your Weeks account when you establish your Points account, RCI will refund the unused amount on a pro-rata basis. For example, if you paid $600. for 10 years of RCI Weeks membership in 1996, they will refund $60. per year for each of the remaining years.

Thereafter, when you log into the RCI website, you will enter one username and password to enter your Weeks account, and another username and password to access your RCI Points account.

You do have to call RCI Points after your Points account is established to request the refund of your weeks fees.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. I have several fixed weeks enrolled in my "free" RCI account via Wyndham FairShare Plus.

I do not know how this "free" account would interact with Points though.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. I have several fixed weeks enrolled in my "free" RCI account via Wyndham FairShare Plus.

I do not know how this "free" account would interact with Points though.

By points, do you mean RCI points account? In what sense do you mean interact?

Vincent.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
By that I mean: if you pay for an RCI Points account, and have a "free" Wyndham RCI Weeks account, you may or may not get a refund for something.

I'm guessing probably not.

But, I do know that you can put other weeks in your "free" Wyndham RCI Weeks account. You just have to call RCI and tell them what you own.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
By that I mean: if you pay for an RCI Points account, and have a "free" Wyndham RCI Weeks account, you may or may not get a refund for something.

I'm guessing probably not.

But, I do know that you can put other weeks in your "free" Wyndham RCI Weeks account. You just have to call RCI and tell them what you own.

Yes, most likely you will not get any credit for merging the two weeks account as one.

And yes if you have other weeks, I don't see why RCI couldn't/wouldn't add it to your weeks account as well.

Vincent.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing probably not..

HUH? Since the entire RCI Weeks account becomes free as soon as you become a Wyndham owner, what would you expect to have refunded? If you paid no further annual membership fee, what would they be refunding?

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a weeks account with RCI before buying a small Wydham points account. I wanted to roll my points into a free RCi account and made arrangements to have this done. The Wydham rep even gave me the number of my new account. I was surprised to discover that my Wydham points were transfered as generic weeks into my weeks account instead of the new account as expected. I had to speak to several people before I was told that I would receive a refund for the remaining portion of my paid account. Never did find out why they did this in the first place. They couldn't understand why I would care.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
HUH? Since the entire RCI Weeks account becomes free as soon as you become a Wyndham owner, what would you expect to have refunded? If you paid no further annual membership fee, what would they be refunding?

I believe Brian was referring to refund due to you having to pay for the RCI points account. RCI points also comes with a week account.

Vincent.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a weeks account with RCI before buying a small Wydham points account. I wanted to roll my points into a free RCi account and made arrangements to have this done. The Wydham rep even gave me the number of my new account. I was surprised to discover that my Wydham points were transfered as generic weeks into my weeks account instead of the new account as expected. I had to speak to several people before I was told that I would receive a refund for the remaining portion of my paid account. Never did find out why they did this in the first place. They couldn't understand why I would care.

As you should because you have paid for your week membership. Since they will merge, I have heard that some people have gotten refund on however numbers of years left.

Vincent.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What "should" happen, though, doesn't really enter into the equation. :)

(I suspect that there is a non-zero cost to the VOA for each owner's RCI week, but I also am pretty sure it's no where near "regular rate").

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of making a resale purchase for 88,500 points at presidential villas in Surfside, SC. I know NOTHING about RCI points.

Is this a fair amount of points? MF are $600 for the 3 bedroom unit/points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of making a resale purchase for 88,500 points at presidential villas in Surfside, SC. I know NOTHING about RCI points.

Is this a fair amount of points? MF are $600 for the 3 bedroom unit/points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It all depending on how many vacations you plan on taking with the 88K pts. In general, 88K points will get you a 2 BR at a GC resort almost anywhere. There are some exceptions. For example, except for a handful of off-peak weeks, 2 BR DVC units are over 95K+ points for a week's stay. If you plan on non-GC or smaller units, 88K points can probably get you two weeks of vacation. Mid-week stays can spread them even further; a five night stay (Sun-Thurs) only "costs" 60% of the weekly value.

Last year I booked two separate vacations one in Aruba for my DDs and one in St. Maarten for my wife and me. They were each 1 BR and stays of 5 and 6 nights. Together they totaled about 77K points.

If you were planning on making use of the 9000 pt instant exchanges, be advised that these are weeks units with a check-in date of 45 days or less. They can be great deals, but availabilities may be limited.

Is 88K pts for $600 MF a good deal? At less than $.007/pt, it's better than the best lease deal (which you may want to use to try the RCU Points system). There are deals out there at less than 1/2 cent per point, but now we're spitting hairs. The other factor is how much the unit cost upfront. If you get a great deal on the points and MF, but pay thousands too much for the unit, then the deal is not so enticing.

On another note, if you like SC, you can always take advantage of the 3 BR units for a "family reunion".

Also if you buy resale, be sure that your unit doesn't convert back to weeks in which case you have to pay to reconvert back to points.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
When you buy wyndham resale, you get a free RCI weeks account.

Please be aware that when you buy Wyndham resale ( never ever buy it direct!!) you will not get a RCI point account. That is one of the only things that you miss out on when you buy resale.

SO IMHO, if you're interested in RCI points, DO NOT look at Wyndham. Look somewhere else.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depending on how many vacations you plan on taking with the 88K pts. In general, 88K points will get you a 2 BR at a GC resort almost anywhere. There are some exceptions. For example, except for a handful of off-peak weeks, 2 BR DVC units are over 95K+ points for a week's stay. If you plan on non-GC or smaller units, 88K points can probably get you two weeks of vacation. Mid-week stays can spread them even further; a five night stay (Sun-Thurs) only "costs" 60% of the weekly value.

Last year I booked two separate vacations one in Aruba for my DDs and one in St. Maarten for my wife and me. They were each 1 BR and stays of 5 and 6 nights. Together they totaled about 77K points.

If you were planning on making use of the 9000 pt instant exchanges, be advised that these are weeks units with a check-in date of 45 days or less. They can be great deals, but availabilities may be limited.

Is 88K pts for $600 MF a good deal? At less than $.007/pt, it's better than the best lease deal (which you may want to use to try the RCU Points system). There are deals out there at less than 1/2 cent per point, but now we're spitting hairs. The other factor is how much the unit cost upfront. If you get a great deal on the points and MF, but pay thousands too much for the unit, then the deal is not so enticing.

On another note, if you like SC, you can always take advantage of the 3 BR units for a "family reunion".

Also if you buy resale, be sure that your unit doesn't convert back to weeks in which case you have to pay to reconvert back to points.

How do I know if it converts back to weeks? Im going to email the seller right now. I got it for .99 on ebay. cant beat that. Thats where I have bought my other 3 TS weeks.