• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort recommendations for an RCI points resale?

Bill4728

Reaction score
How do I know if it converts back to weeks? Im going to email the seller right now. I got it for .99 on ebay. cant beat that. Thats where I have bought my other 3 TS weeks.
Generally, they don't convert back to weeks but it is something you have to ask the current owner to make sure it doesn't happen.

88K points is alot of RCI points, good for a 2bd during peak time at most Gold Crown resorts.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great, im very excited about this. I hope it works out. Im so nervous about the whole points thing, because I dont know anything about it. Im a weeks gal :)

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally, they don't convert back to weeks but it is something you have to ask the current owner to make sure it doesn't happen.
I didn't want to mislead then with my previous comment, but I've read on different threads that it has happened to other buyers.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, well Im going to hold the seller to the ebay notice that says points. Thanks for the heads up.

campbellkp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have made an offer for a presidential villas in surfside, advertised as a 3 bedroom lockout weeks 24-32 with 104500 rci points.

I just called the resort to confirm some information, and they have told me that with a resale the unit will return to a weeks designation, no more rci points and that the season will now be 20-38....

Does this make any sense... The reason I wanted this unit is because of its very high season and to be able to have access to rci and good Tpu.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham owners can clarify, but I think the free RCI membership for Wyndham owners is for only exchanging Wyndham units. If you own at other RCI you need to have a separate membership.

My RCI account came with a Wyndham purchase.....I have since deposited weeks that I own outside of Wyndham into that account

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My RCI account came with a Wyndham purchase.....I have since deposited weeks that I own outside of Wyndham into that account

Ron, you are answering an old post.

As to the Pres Villas on eBay, I do think it will revert back to weeks. If you want points, then you should walk away from that sale. I would rather have it in weeks. I do not care for RCI Points anymore. Loved it a year ago, and now I wish I didn't own a single RCI Point.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
rickandcindy23- Why do you no longer like RCI Points? I am researching this issue now. If I buy on eBay and can rent points if I need more I am wondering what I am missing. Thanks.

DAman

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my RCI points through eBay for Plantation Resort in Surfside which is the same property. It did not revert back to weeks and came with a free year of points that was transferred with the account.

I have made an offer for a presidential villas in surfside, advertised as a 3 bedroom lockout weeks 24-32 with 104500 rci points.

I just called the resort to confirm some information, and they have told me that with a resale the unit will return to a weeks designation, no more rci points and that the season will now be 20-38....

Does this make any sense... The reason I wanted this unit is because of its very high season and to be able to have access to rci and good Tpu.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
thoughts (long post)

DAman,
Far be it from me, to speak for rickandcindy, but I'll share what we've learned about RCI Weeks vs RCI Points, or one system compared to the other. Naturally, the perspective one draws will be based on several factors, and even what you are trying to accomplish for exchanges. The number of exchanges you make; where you exchange into; properties you already own; properties you are looking to acquire; how much planning you put into making exchanges, whether you can rent or borrow points; and a host of other considerations are just a few examples of things that can shape one's preference and perspective about a system. It's not unusual for someone to like one system over the other, given the following.

Probably the 2 biggest factors that can influence ones preference are cost per point or cost per TPU, and the inventory you are trying to exchange into:

1. Cost: The maintenance fees of the properties you own is the single largest factor when it comes to cost. However, there are also exchange fees, combine fees, membership fees and even Points For Deposit fees that can add to the price you pay for your vacations. You need to factor all of these together when you plan your exchanges; if your intent is to eek' out everything you can from either system.

Unfortunately, if you have high maintenance fees, you will end up with high cost per point or cost per TPU even before you get started -- since fees will drive the cost even higher. So owning properties that deliver the highest TPU or Points for the lowest maintenance fees is ideal. (These properties are highly desired in the resale market and here lately they typically command larger up-front costs to purchase them. You can still get some nice RCI Weeks or Points bargains if you are patient, but you need to do a lot of leg work to find them, and they aren't talked about a lot for obvious reasons.) If you already own properties that deliver high cost per TPU/point, then you have to live with it, maximize their use for specific exchanges, or put together a plan to dispose of them for lower cost properties.

2. Inventory: The inventory in each system is very different, because they originate from different sources; from Weeks owners, Points owners, weeks owners making Points for Deposit (PFD) deposits, and even from the resorts themselves. Because of that, some resorts/units can be more abundant (and/or at a different cost), in one system vs the other.

Special arrangements and agreements between RCI and some resorts, whether a resort bulk banks weeks for owners, RCI rentals, and other factors can also influence inventory. So if getting into specific areas/resorts is important, you sometimes need to use one system vs the other to have the best chances for an exchange. Renting directly from RCI Last Call or Extra Vacations is another option that we periodically use; they sometimes have good bargains.
-----
Both systems have their own advantages, disadvantages and quirks. It's the nature of the beast -- and there isn't anything anyone can do outside of RCI to change them. RCI can influence things anytime they want; through enhancements, revisions and increased fees or even rental of available inventory. So, you essentially need to keep-up with program revisions, follow inventory, monitor maintenance fees, etc., since things can literally change over night. (Exploiting the quirks and loopholes in one system vs the other can also be advantageous; and learning as much as you can about each system is the best way to do this.)

It's true you can rent [buy] extra points from RCI if you need to, currently at $.02/point. However, we've found that borrowing from a future year is a better option, since it allows us to leverage our very-low cost/point. You are allowed to do this in RCI Points.

We also have a relatively low cost/TPU from our weeks properties, and we also frequently do PFDs when planning exchanges -- so we work within and between both systems when it is to our benefit. We've come to realize that either system is nothing more than a way to achieve an end -- but you can optimize things, if that is what you want.

Oh yeah, one size does not necessarily fit all!

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
fishingguy- Thanks for a great reply.

I have learned a lot through lurking here(so much I became a member). The members here have a lot of insight that I appreciate. But the more I learn the more questions I have.

I am researching RCI Points now vs. Diamond US Collection vs. Hyatt and others. I think RCI Points has the most flexibility but I am concerned about how all the various fees add up.

I am lucky to live in the Bay Area and I have lots of options for travel within driving distance. My problem (for the next few years) is I need to travel when my kids are out of school. Their sporting activities also complicates things (our summer travel weeks are narrowed to the end of July, beginning of August). Also, I can travel Christmas vacation, President's Day week, and Easter vacation(the week after Easter). I can also travel at the end of May with my oldest son. I know these are peak times....

That being said I have many interesting opportunities in my area. I am trying to decide if I need to pick up a place that's in RCI Points or if I should just use the 2 weeks I have already to trade in RCI Weeks and II. I can lock off my Marriott DSV II and get two weeks(I just purchased DSV II and think I may deposit my week for 2012 but I definitely want to use it in 2013 and beyond).

My questions-are there any other negatives out their that I have not considered? Is the inventory in RCI Points for me to get Coronado Beach Resort in the summer? Or a place in Squaw Valley in the summer? Sedona? This assumes I am requesting as soon as I am able to in the system. I am good at doing that.

DAman

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to get an MROP membership to get the summer units I wanted at Kala Point and along the Oregon and Washington coast.

RCI Points general reservation window is only 10 months out, so it is a poor performer for premium weeks.

RCI Points are great for last minute, long stays, and low seasons but the top weeks just don't make it through the gauntlet to the opening of the 10 month window - with my MROP I can reserve Kala Point and along the Oregon and Washington coast 20 months out. I can also reserve Jackson Hole, Island Park and several desirable ski resorts 18 months or 16 months out.

The day the 10 month window opens there is nothing (nada, zip, zilch) for Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Coast of Oregon, or Quality Pacific coast resorts because the owners (like me) have gobbled up the premium weeks at 18 or 16 or 14 or 12 months out.

RCI Points are great for "overbuilt" areas such as Las Vegas and Hawaii since there are "lots" of premium weeks, just don't expect to get a whale watching week on Maui.

Last edited:

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here you go

DAman asked:
Is the inventory in RCI Points for me to get Coronado Beach Resort in the summer? Or a place in Squaw Valley in the summer? Sedona?

I did a quick search on these areas in RCI Points and here is what I came up with.I only searched for 30 days, and availability starting in Jun 2012, since searching in RCI Points is not as easy as RCI Weeks:

Coronado Beach Resort (2885)
Didn't turn up anything. This could be due to high demand, owners using the resort rather than exchanging it through RCI, exchanging it within the resort, or renting their ownership through the resort rental system.

Villas at Poco Diablo*(#2008)
1 Bedroom 4 (2) Partial Kitchen Fri 29-Jun-2012-Fri 6-Jul-2012 25,000

Villas of Sedona*(#3021)
2 Bedroom 6 (4) Full Fri 22-Jun-2012 Fri 29-Jun-2012 32,000
2 Bedroom 8 (6) Full Mon 25-Jun-2012 Mon 2-Jul-2012 43,000
2 Bedroom 8 (6) Full Fri 29-Jun-2012 Fri 6-Jul-2012 43,000

Sedona Pines Resort*(#4968)
Over 50 units available with check in dates between 6/8 and 7/5/2012. About 2/3 of them are 1BR, the rest are 2BR. Points required range from 36500 to 54000.

Arroyo Roble Resort*(#5172)
8 2BR units available between 6/8 and 7/5/2012. Points required range from 60500 to 66500.

Olympic Village Inn*(#0916)
1 Bedroom 4 (2) Partial Sun 3-Jun-2012 Sun 10-Jun-2012*37,500
1 Bedroom 4 (2) Partial Sun 10-Jun-2012 Sun 17-Jun-2012*35,500

Grand Pacific Resorts at Red Wolf at Squaw Valley*(#5848)
Studio 4 (2) Full Sun 17-Jun-2012 Sun 24-Jun-2012 33,500
1 Bedroom 4 (4) Full Sun 17-Jun-2012 Sun 24-Jun-2012*44,000

...are there any other negatives out their that I have not considered?

I assume this question was in regards to depositing your Marriott DSV II for exchange. I suggest you review posts in that section of the forum for info on how to best trade your unit, and then ask some more specific questions in a new post. There are a lot of experienced Marriott owners on the forum, who have specific insight into the best ways to do this.

Last edited:

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
a bit more

In general, the fees for an RCI Points exchange are a little lower than a weeks exchange, when all things are considered. But like I posted before, starting with the lowest cost per point or cost per TPU is usually the biggest overall factor in making $$$-wise exchanges:
- A points account will run you ~40$ more a year, when compared to a weeks membership. However, if you also have a weeks property with your points ownership, you can get a free weeks account for no additional charge. This will give you the flexibility to deposit your weeks property into either system; doing a Points for Deposit (PFD) on the weeks side.
- There are no combine fees in RCI Points. A point from one resort is the same as from another points, so they all get lumped together in one tally. On the weeks side each deposit stands alone, and if you want to combine TPU to get more trading power, it will cost $99.
- An exchange on the points side will run ~20$ less than the weeks side.
- Each time you do a PFD it will cost $26.
- It seems that RCI has had more sales and promotions on the weeks side inventory here lately, when compared to the points side. I suspect that will change over the next couple weeks with the upcoming changes in RCI, but we'll just have to see.

Yes, fees can add up with either membership. That's why it's best to take advantage of any internal exchange programs a resort/RCI may offer. For example, we can exchange within our Resort and Resort Group with our points properties, for significantly less (and through RCI). Some of our weeks properties can be exchanged completely within the resort for free, but it is a one-for-one exchange -- you don't get any TPU back like in RCI Weeks exchanges. [It is also dependent on inventory, but can be a great way to exchange an off season week for a peak week at the resort, if that's what you happen to own.]

Here are some other things to consider:
- You get a 13 to 10 month priority over other exchangers, within your resort and resort group with a points property. That means any points inventory in the resort and resort group can get picked over at 13-10 months, before it is made available to other RCI members. This can give you a big edge in some exchanges, that have a lot of resorts within it's group.
- Some resorts and areas can have a lot more inventory available on the points side vs the weeks side -- and vice versa. So using the correct system to get into some resorts/areas can give you an edge in RCI. (In other words, you need to know the best way to get to where you want to go, within RCI.)
- RCI points owners have been able to get access to not only Points-weeks inventory, but strictly Weeks inventory as well. [You need to call a Vacation Counselor to do this, and new counselors don't necessarily always know how to do it (or want to), but we've had good success.] On the other hand, I don't know of any Weeks owners who have been successful at getting exchanges into Points inventory.

If you got a points property, you might find it useful to work between both systems with a free weeks membership. We've found the additional flexibility does come in handy at times. Just try to keep your cost per point or cost per TPU as low as possible, for the most $$$ savy exchanges. It will require a bit more planning and prep, but we've found it useful for our travel; but you might not need this if you don't travel nearly as much(?).

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Good Deal RCI points to MF

Are any resorts particularly good to own via RCI points (for MF reasons I would guess)? I am considering looking for a small RCI points contract on Ebay but I am not sure what to look for, what to watch out for, etc. I would be looking to use the points mainly for the last minute exchanges at 45 days or less, so a small annual contract of say under 30K points would be fine with me. As of right now I only own RCI weeks traders but I am looking to add RCI points to my timeshare "portfolio". Also, does anyone know offhand the approximate fees for the last minute exchanges (on top of the 9000 or fewer points required?). Thanks for any advice!

I have bought at two resorts to obtain a good quantity of RCI points for a low maintenance fee.

One resort is Sedona Pines in Arizona. Maintenance fees were $467 this year for a one bedroom. On one week I own I get 52,500 RCI points for that level of maintenance fees. I bought a second week on ebay and pay the same MF but get 44,500 RCI points. Sedona Pines is an RCI Gold Crown Resort.

The other resort I bought is Oakmont in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. I don't expect I'll probably ever stay there (although Tennessee is beautiful in the fall). I get 48,500 RCI points a year. However, MF are going up in 2012 (to $380 a year from $375). Oakmont is an RCI Silver Crown Resort.

The good news is I only need 1 RCI Points account.