• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort rec. for Phoenix/Scottsdale or Sedona areas

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Thinking of a last minute trip to the area and wanted some resort recommendations in II for this area. Suggestions, other than MCV, WKV and SCT? Thanks

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know about II or those codes but there is the Legacy; Scottsdale Golf Links; Sheraton Desert Oasis; Rancho Manana, Scottsdale Camelback, Orange Tree, Cibola Vista, Scottsdale Villa Mirage. Villas at Cave Creek and there are two others (small) I can think of: one is located at South Mountain and the other is the Pointe. I am sure there are more but those are the ones I remember early in the morning! Plenty to choose from. Also, one in Mesa called Painted Mountain??? I think you listed the Westin and the JW Marriott. Sedona is another animal.

Last edited:

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sedona timeshares with II:
In Sedona Hyatt Pinon Pointe is nice, resort code HYN
Los Abrigados is fine too, although the units are small, resort codes SDN, SD3
The Ridge on Sedona Gold Resort is fine but don't settle for a studio - too small. The resort is also in Oak Creek, south of the Sedona town, resort code RSF, RS1, RS2
Sedona Summit is located in West Sedona, unit layouts are identical to the Ridge, resort codes SDA, SA2
Sedona Springs is in West Sedona, an older resorts but the units are very large, resort code SDG
Villas of Sedona is located next door to Sedona Springs and the units are similar - older resort kept up well with large units. We own 3 weeks there, resort codes VSE, SVK
Villas at Poco Diablo are just OK, but located near Oak Creek (the creek, not the town), resort codes VDB, SVP

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are you planning to do there? Before deciding where to stay check the weather. It can be dramatically different between Sedona and Scottsdale.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What are you planning to do there? Before deciding where to stay check the weather. It can be dramatically different between Sedona and Scottsdale.

Good point- I didn't realize that. May be a biggie given that we're looking for next month when the weather is a bit on the cool side anyway (not quite ideal). looking to relax and sightsee primarily, since it will likely be too cool for pool weather (although that would be nice).

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't count the pool out in Scottsdale

Good point- I didn't realize that. May be a biggie given that we're looking for next month when the weather is a bit on the cool side anyway (not quite ideal). looking to relax and sightsee primarily, since it will likely be too cool for pool weather (although that would be nice).

I have had great pool afternoons in December in the Phoenix metro. If the sun is out and the wind is not blowing too hard, it can be nice to sit out at the pool and even take a dip - and there's always the hot tub, too!

Rumpled

Reaction score
Shell has two resorts in the the PHX/Scottsdale area. I would recommend The Legacy highly as we stayed there in August and had a good time. Visited Orange Tree briefly and were not so impressed.
Golf is always a big draw, we don't golf at all.

Steve

Reaction score

Sedona is much colder than Scottsdale. They even get a little snow there. As you seem to want a relaxing, warm weather vacation, I would suggest you stick with the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. It may not be super warm, but it will be much warmer than Sedona. You could even get lucky and have 70s or low 80s.

As you are now looking for resorts that trade in II other than Four Seasons Scottsdale, Marriott's Canyon Villas, and Westin Kierland Villas, I would say that Sheraton's Desert Oasis is probably your best bet. It's not in the same league as the top three, but it is the best of the rest.

Another acceptable option, in my opinion, would be Scottdale Camelback Resort. It is much older, but it's in a convenient location near downtown Scottsdale. It also has easy access to Phoenix, the Desert Botanical Garden, and the zoo.

Villas of Cave Creek is in a nice secluded location, but I did not like the resort. The villas are cramped and poorly built, and the swimming pools are tiny to the point of being unusable.

If Rancho Manana is available again in II, that would be a decent choice...but I haven't seen it since DRI bought it out of bankruptcy recently.

Steve

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second Scottsdale Camelback Resort as a good place to stay via II. There seems to be plenty of availability over the next couple of months.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone! MCV is available and the date would be perfect, but as it turns out their main pool is being refurbished mid-Dec., and the pool at the JW is also closed. I'd hate to land up having weather that would be conducive to at least relaxing poolside and not to have that option ...decisions, decisions.

I appreciate the input!

hmmm...just reading on a few websites and now I am confused. When I called the front desk they made it sound like both the pools at the timeshare and at the JW were closed for renovation, but it seems like there are several on site so I wonder if everything really is closed. Obviously, the demand is less at that time, but it would be nice to have the option, and esp. for hot tubs.

Last edited: