• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort Fees? [SFX]

CalicoJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a novice timeshare owner, we deposited weeks into SFX and are looking to exchange our week for a vacation. When we deposited the weeks we were charged a fee $199, and will pay the other 1/2 of the fee when we book our week. The I look to book an instant exchange online the resorts are listing Fees ranging $300 to $600. What are these fees for, they are not all inclusive resorts.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
SFX has an exchange upgrade fee perhaps that's what you're seeing.:shrug:

The following is from the SFX website - http://www.sfxresorts.com/membership-programs/

For SFX Gold Membership Level: "Unit upgrades for exchanges (based on availability) from $199 – $599 USD"

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you paid for upfront. Did you buy a multiyear Diamond membership? Even if that were the case, I don't see any level listed for $199. I've never paid anything to deposit my weeks with them, but I have paid a membership fee for the Diamond level. Gold level is free.

When they find an exchange for you, then there is an exchange fee. That fee is based on your membership level. There are also fees if you choose to use a bonus week, if you received those with your deposit. And, they have excess inventory called Escapes. The prices of those vary, depending in several factors including your membership level.

I looked at instant exchanges and the rate I see is my exchange fee. I think you are looking at the Resort Escapes page. If you want one of those, you can choose to exchange your week and pay only your exchange fee. But these are extra weeks that are available for rent and if you chose to rent one of those for the fee posted for your membership level, your deposited week is still available for exchange.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Is this a "bonus week deposit from Vida/G.Vidanta/ Mayan - purchase ??

I am a novice timeshare owner, we deposited weeks into SFX and are looking to exchange our week for a vacation. When we deposited the weeks we were charged a fee $199, and will pay the other 1/2 of the fee when we book our week. The I look to book an instant exchange online the resorts are listing Fees ranging $300 to $600. What are these fees for, they are not all inclusive resorts.

I have seen information on a $ 200 deposit fee to SFX on "bonus" week included with purchases with recent Vida / Grupo Vidanta / Mayan TS purchases.

Callico Joe -I think you need to call SFX for details on how usage works.
_______
For long time TUG readers -IF this is a Mayan promo -( I think) since Vida/ G.Vidanta/ Mayan is RTU and growing this is in essence (similar to) a "developer" week deposit into RCI or II .
BUT - instead the developer is including these weeks as "Bonus" in a TS sale and the "extra/bonus" week is only depositable (into SFX /with this fee) by the TS buyer(and NOT Mayan resort system usable by the TS buyer). This gives SFX inventory (and SFX is a "preferred" exchange company with G . Vidanta) and gives the TS purchaser a week to exchange AND a week to visit the Mayan World resort system .

Net net - more visits by existing owners and more visits by new exchanger's who the developer hopes to get to a presentation.
IMHO

Last edited:

CalicoJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Figuring it out

Figured out more how SFX works- their site has several areas of vacations:
Resort Escapes which are pay for vacations that you can buy from them at various prices depending on your membership with SFX
Then there are Instant Exchanges which you can book with a deposited week,
The fees I were seeing were for the resort escape vacations. There is a small fee to book the instant exchange but it is much less than buying the resort escape.
You can also have a exchange request in for a vacation as well.