• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort fee at Massanutten effective 6/29/18 :(

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask that if anyone has stayed in 2019, please post if the resort fees did go up. When I booked Woodstone at Massanutten back in early 2018, there were no fees, or else I wouldn't have booked it (my husband has been laid off for a few years, and I don't make much money; the only reason we can vacation is if we get a good deal on an RCI exchange fee, it's close enough to drive, we eat in the whole trip, and we don't do any activities that cost money). A few months after booking it, we rec'd an RCI notice that there are now fees being charged by the resort. I promptly called the resort and was told it was $54 for the week for a 1 bdrm. I was upset because the terms in effect at the time of booking should be like a contract and shouldn't be changed. These new resort fees should only be for those that book it after it went into effect. Now I read in this forum that it will be $94?!?! Maybe it will increase again before our trip in April 2019! We may have to forfeit what we paid RCI and not go since this nearly doubles the cost of the vacation. How disappointing. Too bad this situation probably isn't enough money to interest an attorney in a class action lawsuit.

I would complain firmly and politely when asked for the fee. Show them your confirmation to show you booked with no fee. Does any tugger have any experience with getting it removed. It is also possible to challenge the charge with the credit card company. None of those are guarantees but I would think between the two you have a good shot at getting the fee reversed. I know it is tough but find the cash somewhere else and go have a nice vacation.

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would complain firmly and politely when asked for the fee. Show them your confirmation to show you booked with no fee. Does any tugger have any experience with getting it removed. It is also possible to challenge the charge with the credit card company. None of those are guarantees but I would think between the two you have a good shot at getting the fee reversed. I know it is tough but find the cash somewhere else and go have a nice vacation.

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in October and when checking in, I mentioned there was no fee attached when we booked it and they immediately took it off.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They were fairly liberal with removing it in 2018. I have heard that they will not be making exceptions in 2019 but if you have your confirmation showing that you were confirmed before June of last year you can still try.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I just wanted to ask that if anyone has stayed in 2019, please post if the resort fees did go up.

I called the other day to check fees so we can decide if we'll be continuing our annual group ski trip in March. I was told fees are follows:

Owners - $7.95/night ($55.65/week)
RCI exchanges (non owner) - $10.95/night
Renters (thru the resort) - $15.95/night

You only pay for the days/nights you use... so if you book a last call or extra vacation, which is a full week, you'll be charged the full week at checkin but will be refunded the difference if you checkout early.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was also told that if you rent from an owner you would be charged the $7.95/ night fee. And the fee is per lock off side so even if you reserve the full unit (both sides of the lock off) through RCI or through an owner as a single reservation, the fee would be X2 per night. If you have a reservation for a 4 BR sleeps 12 at Regal Vistas, Woodstone, or Summit the fee would be X2. A 3 BR at Shenandoah would be X2. A 2 BR sleeps 12 at Eagle Trace and a 2 BR (sleeps 8) at Woodstone would also be X2.

I am still confused as to whether Mountainside Villas rci and owners pay the resort fee at check in. MVOA still include the rec fee as part of the MF that owners pay. This is the only independent HOA at the resort.

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked on RCI and the following was the was included re fees.

Mandatory Fees:

Security deposit is 100.00 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Due at check-in

Housekeeping Fees:

"For all RCI points reservations: There may be a 47.00 U.S. dollars for 2 Bedroom units, per stay. Cash or Credit is accepted."

"For all RCI points reservations: There may be a 93.00 U.S. dollars for 4 Bedroom units, per stay. Cash or Credit is accepted."

Resort Fees:

Service fee is 10.95 to 76.65 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Applies to all 2019 guests. Based on nights & unit sides confirmed. Contact resort for details.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
As of June 20th, 2018
RCI - Website - Search

Massanutten Resorts

Select:

The Summit at Massanutten (#3640)

Woodstone at Massanutten (#5711)

Regal Vistas at Massanutten ( # C152 )

Look under Fees
You will see the following statement

Resort Fees:

Resort amenities fee is 10.00 to 20.00 U.S. dollars.
Cash or Credit is accepted.

Amenities fee varies from $10 to $20 per unit per night
Call 540-289-9441 for details.

:(

It looks like we will not be depositing our Summit weeks
anymore to exchange into other areas of Massanutten.

We were just there about a month ago in a 4 bedroom
It was our (owner) week and there was no mention of
a resort fee. Note: Security Deposit was $100 per unit

This is a joke to add $70 to $140 per week / per unit
Resort Fee to the increasing cost of RCI exchange fee.

Since so many Virginia timeshares have had success
collecting resort fees, I guess it was just a matter of
time before Massanutten started to charge a fee too.

Hilton Grand Vacation Club member and if I use my points in that system for an exchange within that system I don't have to pay an RCI exchange Fee nor the HGVC resort fee. I am also a Vacation Village Resort Owner why should you and I have to pay the RCI exchange fee nor the Resort Fee to exchange into a Vacation Village Resort? Vacation Village should set up their own internal exchange system so that when you stay at one of their resorts you don't need to pay the RCI exchange fee nor the Resort Fee. While they can't control the RCI fee without an internal exchange system, they certainly can waive the Resort Fee for Vacation Village Members!!!!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation Club member and if I use my points in that system for an exchange within that system I don't have to pay an RCI exchange Fee nor the HGVC resort fee. I am also a Vacation Village Resort Owner why should you and I have to pay the RCI exchange fee nor the Resort Fee to exchange into a Vacation Village Resort? Vacation Village should set up their own internal exchange system so that when you stay at one of their resorts you don't need to pay the RCI exchange fee nor the Resort Fee. While they can't control the RCI fee without an internal exchange system, they certainly can waive the Resort Fee for Vacation Village Members!!!!
Difference is the HOA's at Massanutten do not own the recreational facilities. In the past Great Eastern (the developer- different from Vacation Village but has a relationship with VV) charged the HOA a recreation rental fee to use the facilities. It was $50 per owned unit per week. Great Eastern decided last year to start charging RCI exchangers again for the use of facilities for exchange weeks. This year they removed the recreation fee from MF's and decided to charge both owners and exchanger to use the facilities. An owner now pays $108 per owned unit (lock off full unit) when staying in their own deeded week. If they aren't waiving it for owners they certainly are not likely to waive it for owners at associate resorts.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Here is the "Information for Owners" document on the fees for 2019 (attached).

Below is the most relevant and detailed information for the rates that will be charged in 2019 for both owners and RCI guests.

The fee for an owner will be $7.95 per side per night, which is discounted from the average fee for an RCI guest or rental guest of $13.45 per side per night. For a complete and current list of items included with the fee starting in 2019 please see below.​

Attachments

• 2019 Resort Fee Inclusions.pdf
    66.5 KB · Views: 74

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I never had any desire to go to mass o' nuttin' and the imposition of a fee will seal the deal for me never to go there.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UPDATE: I requested a copy of the rules for the new resort fee... the email I received contradicted what I was told by the phone rep.

"As a Gold Card holder, the Resort Fee will be 25% less than an RCI exchange guest or a non-Gold Card owner. You, as an owner, will be paying the rate of $7.95 per side per day, even if you stay here through a reservation made through RCI, as long as you show your Gold Card when you check in. This fee is assessed by the number of days in the reservation."

I am NOT a Gold Card owner. So I called again and was told that the info in the email is NOT correct... and she would send another email with correct info. She said their office had also received conflicting information and they are working on bringing everyone up to speed.

It's early in the year, so probably no 1st hand info... but if a non-Gold Card resale owner stays there I would love to know what you end up paying.

I called the other day to check fees so we can decide if we'll be continuing our annual group ski trip in March. I was told fees are follows:

Owners - $7.95/night ($55.65/week)
RCI exchanges (non owner) - $10.95/night
Renters (thru the resort) - $15.95/night

You only pay for the days/nights you use... so if you book a last call or extra vacation, which is a full week, you'll be charged the full week at checkin but will be refunded the difference if you checkout early.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
It's early in the year, so probably no 1st hand info... but if a non-Gold Card resale owner stays there I would love to know what you end up paying.

I am a resale (non gold card) owner who will be there next weekend. I expect to pay the fee at the owner rate of $7.95 per night (per half). If you look at the policy from the resort on their letterhead that I posted a couple of posts up, they clearly use the term “an owner” and not “gold card owner” when listing the discounted rate. That PDF remains posted in the documents section of the owner website I see when I log in. I will provide an update here if something does not go as expected.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if a non-Gold Card resale owner stays there I would love to know what you end up paying.

They charged me $7.95 per night when I checked in tonight. I am a non gold card (resale) owner. In fact, I made this reservation using my HGVC RCI portal before I bought Massanutten. I just told the guy at the counter I was an owner. He automatically launched into a canned spiel about they were no longer able to waive the resort fee for owners (clearly they are explaining it a lot). I cut him off and said I was fine just paying the discounted fee. A guy at the next counter over was really letting them have it about the fee. I could have shared my views on the fees too, but I decided to give 20 or so people behind me in line a break.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you staying the entire week? If not, can you report back whether they provide (without hassle) credit/refund for days not used?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you staying the entire week? If not, can you report back whether they provide (without hassle) credit/refund for days not used?

I am only staying for three nights (long weekend), but I am not going to be able to answer your question this trip because I am using RCI points to stay at Woodstone. I think the above report that they would credit/refund for the remainder of the week is probably right. I think it would cost them a lot of discount usage if they didn’t. But like you, I would like to see verification.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

2019 - Assessment Summit @ Massanutten

Manage your Account & Make Payments Online

Both Units - Assessment Fee: $855.
2018 real estate taxes paid: $45.20

• Last Business Day of January | Full payment of maintenance fee must be received in our office. If not, a $25 late fee is incurred and finance charges begin to accrue each month at a rate of 1.5% per month.

To set up a payment arrangement
call the resort at 1-540-289-4911

*Don`t forget the new resort fee*

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that down from last year? If the 45 is included that seems lower from my memory. I would temper my disgust at the fee if it actually results in savings for the owners.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is that down from last year? If the 45 is included that seems lower from my memory. I would temper my disgust at the fee if it actually results in savings for the owners.
As I mentioned on page 5 the net cost to use my own full unit is up $166 vs last year ($50 higher in MF plus $111 in resort fees). It's $50 higher if I am depositing my unit with rci.

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently stayed at The Summit. I asked when I checked in if I could pay per day, the answer was they charge you the full amount in the beginning and when you check out (if before 10am) you are credited the remainder of the week. As an owner it was $7.95 per day. In order for me to get my credit, at check out the front desk rep. told me I would see an auto credit. I called 5 days later after not seeing the credit and spoke with the front desk, they adjusted the bill. The recreation center is the same since last year, except in LeClub the gym is now on the 3rd floor. On the comment card I mentioned the fee and how I believe it affects my ownership at Massanutten.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the info on the fee refund/credit

Randall_Morin

Reaction score
This resort fee is BS, especially for owners. It may well backfire.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I recently stayed at The Summit. I asked when I checked in if I could pay per day, the answer was they charge you the full amount in the beginning and when you check out (if before 10am) you are credited the remainder of the week. As an owner it was $7.95 per day. In order for me to get my credit, at check out the front desk rep. told me I would see an auto credit. I called 5 days later after not seeing the credit and spoke with the front desk, they adjusted the bill. The recreation center is the same since last year, except in LeClub the gym is now on the 3rd floor. On the comment card I mentioned the fee and how I believe it affects my ownership at Massanutten.

Same happened to me this past weekend. Had a Friday check-in and left at noon on Monday from Summit. Paid the owner rate resort free for a full week at check-in and had three days of it refunded when we checked out at noon on Monday (would have only charged 3 days had we checked out by 10 am). You have to go back to the front desk and ask for the fee to be refunded ... in my case they did so without a hassle.

The one minor thing on the resort fee that indicated staff isn't 100% trained up still is the young man checking me in said I was supposed to be a gold card holder (non-resale purchaser) to get the discounted resort fee, but he would do me a favor and go ahead and give it to me as resale owner. I pointed out that while I appreciated the hospitality, I had recently re-read the policy and the discounted resort fee applies to all owners.

As an owner (of a different Great Eastern resort at Massanutten), I don't like paying a $7.95 resort fee, but we had a great time and the pain threshold is not such I'm going to let it get in the way of really enjoying fun time with family. My living only two hours from the resort is working in their favor of it still being a very handy, enjoyable place to go for a few days.

Santos13183

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Manssanutten
I am a resale (non gold card) owner who will be there next weekend. I expect to pay the fee at the owner rate of $7.95 per night (per half). If you look at the policy from the resort on their letterhead that I posted a couple of posts up, they clearly use the term “an owner” and not “gold card owner” when listing the discounted rate. That PDF remains posted in the documents section of the owner website I see when I log in. I will provide an update here if something does not go as expected.

Hi how is your experience as a resale owner so far i am trying to decide if i buy a 4 bedroom 4 bath but would like to trade thru rci most years do you have any experience with that ?