• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort fee at Massanutten effective 6/29/18 :(

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reminder

Please fill out your RCI Comment Card after your stay at Massanutten Resort

Be sure to add a comment regarding the $54 per week per unit Resort Fee

RCI wants to know about the service you received and the overall experience you had while on vacation. Your feedback is valuable and provides important information for RCI which will be shared with the resort.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We finally broke down and joined RCI. The only last call we wanted was Massanutten so we booked it for this week knowing about the fee. We get here and find out the pool up by us is closed. How annoying to be charger for their "world class amenities" and cann't use them. We will see if my complaints get it refunded. I will not hold my breath. A few bucks will not lower our enjoyment of this week. Even though we are early for leaf change it has been a very nice week.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We finally broke down and joined RCI. The only last call we wanted was Massanutten so we booked it for this week knowing about the fee. We get here and find out the pool up by us is closed. How annoying to be charger for their "world class amenities" and cann't use them. We will see if my complaints get it refunded. I will not hold my breath. A few bucks will not lower our enjoyment of this week. Even though we are early for leaf change it has been a very nice week.
I hope your week is pleasant. Our children really had a grand time at Massanutten, and would love to visit again. The biggest win in their eyes was the fact that we had so much space. (4BR/4BA/2 kitchens.) The things (fees...distance from pool...etc) that drive parents crazy don't phase kids at all. ;) I'm pushing for Williamsburg in 2020...they want to go back to Massanutten. We'll see!

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check out your copy
of the Summit Signal Newsletter
Regarding the 2019 Resort Fee.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check out your copy
of the Summit Signal Newsletter
Regarding the 2019 Resort Fee.

Would you mind giving us the news as some of us are not owners?

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Massanutten 2018 Holiday Toy Drive

The Massanutten WaterPark is partnering with
Elkton Area United Services to donate toys to kids this holiday season!

November 16 - December 20, 2018
Receive one 50% OFF All-Day General WaterPark Admission voucher
when you bring any unwrapped toy valued at $10 or more!
Vouchers good for use December 1, 2018 - October 28, 2019.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
2019 Resort Fee - Summit @ Massanutten Resort

The fee for an owner will be $7.95 per side per night
The fee for a RCI exchanger or guest will be
$13.45 per side per night ($13.45 x 7= $94.15)

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

2019 Summit @ Massanutten

Annual assessment/maintenance fee
will increase by 4.6 % to $855.00

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
UGH. My kids are begging to go back there. We really did have fun this summer, but those fees left me feeling taken. Guess the next time we go, we'll forego the activities pass and such. The area is amazing (so much history pretty much at your doorstep!) so I'm sure I'll bite the bullet at some point. Williamsburg first, though!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wow almost 200 for the full unit. I wonder how RCI will handle the lowered demand for a resort that already is a problem in their inventory. I expect some good sales. I know I will need that to book anything there.

Can other areas of Massanutten confirm their fees. Are the 1 bedroom lockoffs the same. Since they say per side I would imagine that was a cut and paste for the others.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The fees are going to be the same for all areas.
Owner had been paying a $50 recreation fee as part of their MF's for the full unit. The did remover this fee from the MF but overall other aspects of the MF went up about $100 per unit so there is a net increase of $50 in MF and $111 if we use our full unit- more if we exchange back into Massanutten. It also means that to let someone else use our full unit will cost another $77.

The one positive thing I have to say is that Massanutten had been charging $50 (included in the MF's) for the last 10+ years without increasing that fee. It is one of the dangers of owning at a resort where the developer kept control of all of the recreational facilities and it is not included as part of the not for profit HOA budget.

Massanutten is also pushing RCI points right now (for woodstone and regal vistas which are the only parts of the resort still being built out). They are probably selling these more on the basis of buy here and use somewhere else and then the fee won't affect you at all.

Recreation/Amenities
Indoor Pools (Woodstone Meadows, Le Club)
• Outdoor Pools (Woodstone Meadows, Mountain Peak, and Woodstone Leisure)
• Fitness Centers (Woodstone Meadows & Le Club)
• Sauna & Steam Rooms (Woodstone Meadows & Le Club)
• Indoor Hot Tubs (Woodstone Meadows & Le Club)
• Outdoor Hot Tub (Le Club)
• Tennis & Pickleball Courts* (Woodstone Meadows, Le Club, and James E. Lambert Park)
• Racquetball Courts* (Le Club)
• Sand Volleyball (Le Club & James E. Lambert Park)
• Outdoor Basketball (Woodstone Meadows & Le Club)
• Indoor Basketball (Le Club)
• Fitness Trail (James E. Lambert Park)
• Water Aerobics (Woodstone Meadows, Mountain Peak & Le Club)
• Hiking (Western Slope)
• DVD Rentals
• Shuffleboard
*Equipment included
Business Center
• Free Wi-Fi in public areas
• Copying & Faxing services
• Complimentary Boarding Pass printing

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its just the two of us and we really like having the whole unit..
But $1,000 for a week vacation is really getting way out of hand
especially since we do not use any of the resort amenities.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its just the two of us and we really like having the whole unit..
But $1,000 for a week vacation is really getting way out of hand
especially since we do not use any of the resort amenities.

We don't use any of the resort amenities at most resorts, now that "it's just the two of us", also. We're either relaxing or checking out the area and going on tours.

We haven't been to Massanutten for many years. I was thinking about going next year for a fall trip. There's so much to see and do in the area. We're looking for a crash pad, albeit a nice one. We have always loved staying in Mountainside Villas, though we have never stayed in Regal Vistas. Because of the added amenity fees, I'm now considering other area resorts. If we still used the amenities, it would be worth it to pay the fees, though not welcomed. I think these types of fees are becoming the norm for many resorts.

We always found Massanutten to be a beautiful property with nice units and amenities. I still may find it to be the most desirable option for a trip to the area, even with the added fees. :shrug:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since so many of the Recreation/Amenities are seasonal
and with the time change in the late fall its dark around 6 PM
plus during the winter months its dark around 5 pm. Resort
fees should be reduced during the winter months since you
do not get to enjoy all the outdoor (pools, hot tubs, fishing)
amenities. If it cost the developer so much, they need to
cut or charge per use. Not charge everyone for something
they do not use.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
We are at The Summit at Hillside units which are some of the older ones. When we called about the unit I told the person I was not aware of the "new" fee which was quoted at $54 dollars for the week.

They did mention the fee was going to be changing in 2019 jan and now I see the new fee's I WILL NOT be returning to this resort..

I also plan to deduct points from the RCI exchange form which enough folks give low marks the "gold crown" status will be in jeopardy. If we get a lot of push back they may.. may remove the fee's.

Also owner should attend annual HOA meeting and demand answers from board on where the money is going and why they feel this is necessary.

When i inquired at check in desk about this I was told it was to help maintain the pools, wifi, roads etc. something teh owner MF covers and as a owner I pay MF at my home resort.

with the new fee structure this place will be a desert and the owners will not be able to get good exchange value.

Its been fun mass o nutten. but no more.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I asked if the fee had impacted the ratings yet and was told it has had no effect. I find that had to believe but they waved the fees pretty liberally in the second half of 2018 when the fee was in effect.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an investment in the future and I for one am glad they have decided to not let the place go downhill. Fee not great short term but good long term as the refurbishment will extend the product.

Complain about $54 on one of the lowest price to amenity places around. If your campaign is successful you wind up making it worse for a short term inconvenience.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is an investment in the future and I for one am glad they have decided to not let the place go downhill. Fee not great short term but good long term as the refurbishment will extend the product.

Complain about $54 on one of the lowest price to amenity places around. If your campaign is successful you wind up making it worse for a short term inconvenience.
Except that was 2018 and 2019 has been announced. For an owner using his/her full unit the fee in 2019 is $111. For an exchanger using RCI (including non gold card holders) the fee for 2019 is $94.15 for each side of the lock off. So if you get a 2 BR sleeps 8 Woodstone Casa unit the resort fee would be $188. I also like the full unit and am willing to use 21-25 tpu's for the full 4 BR lock off but that extra $188 is a bit much especially when it is myself, my 12 yo DS and friend, and my 99 yo grandmother.

In terms of the person who suggested complaining to the HOA (which I have it does nothing because), the developer controls the HOA and in fact most of the amenities are owned by the developer and are not owned by the HOA. Up until this year the developer charged owners a $50 usage fee per unit-( not per side in a lock off unit). Last year they charged owners and then charged owners who exchanged through rci and non owner exchangers $54 per side of a lock off. They did remove the usage fee in 2019 but overall raised fees so that if you don't stay at Massanutten your MF went up 2% but if you stayed in your own unit the total usage cost was raised 16%.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except that was 2018 and 2019 has been announced. For an owner using his/her full unit the fee in 2019 is $111. For an exchanger using RCI (including non gold card holders) the fee for 2019 is $94.15 for each side of the lock off. So if you get a 2 BR sleeps 8 Woodstone Casa unit the resort fee would be $188. I also like the full unit and am willing to use 21-25 tpu's for the full 4 BR lock off but that extra $188 is a bit much especially when it is myself, my 12 yo DS and friend, and my 99 yo grandmother.

In terms of the person who suggested complaining to the HOA (which I have it does nothing because), the developer controls the HOA and in fact most of the amenities are owned by the developer and are not owned by the HOA. Up until this year the developer charged owners a $50 usage fee per unit-( not per side in a lock off unit). Last year they charged owners and then charged owners who exchanged through rci and non owner exchangers $54 per side of a lock off. They did remove the usage fee in 2019 but overall raised fees so that if you don't stay at Massanutten your MF went up 2% but if you stayed in your own unit the total usage cost was raised 16%.

With no plan for additional amenities or major renovations planned it is hard to justify. Would anyone like to take the position that this is about amenities and not about profits. 16% is pretty steep.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
the "activities fee" is not going to HOA it going into the developers pockets.. If you or anyone can show me different then I will stand corrected.. this a cash grab plain and simple.. With the amount of cheap rentals and exchanges into this place, all the properties to include The Summits ( there are like 5 sections) Shenandoah Villas, Mountainside Villas and others the exchange or TPU are not that great.

I looked up the one we are staying in Summit Hillside and the 2 bed full kitchen gets like 18 TPU's and that's a july 4th week which is high time. My Presidential Villa at Plantation Resort 2 bed side of a 3 bed get 34 for same time frame. Not a place to buy but like to visit as i have this now the 4th time over some 15 yrs or so. The scourge of "activities fee's" is another bad mark on timeshare to me.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Black Friday & Cyber Mon
November 23 & 26, 2018
Resort Facebook Page

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Massanutten Resort
doesn`t offer a deed back program

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the new resort fee
You can now save a few dollars at
Massanutten Resort WaterPark®

----- 50% Off Annual Pass -----

Sale ends on February 8, 2019.
Use online promo code: WPYEARFUN19

Annual WaterPark Passes Available online for
general public, MPOA, and Gold Card Holders.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
In addition to the new resort fee
You can now save a few dollars at
Massanutten Resort WaterPark®

The $390 pre discount water park annual pass may be one thing that makes the resort fee a relative bargain.

Heidi Muica

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask that if anyone has stayed in 2019, please post if the resort fees did go up. When I booked Woodstone at Massanutten back in early 2018, there were no fees, or else I wouldn't have booked it (my husband has been laid off for a few years, and I don't make much money; the only reason we can vacation is if we get a good deal on an RCI exchange fee, it's close enough to drive, we eat in the whole trip, and we don't do any activities that cost money). A few months after booking it, we rec'd an RCI notice that there are now fees being charged by the resort. I promptly called the resort and was told it was $54 for the week for a 1 bdrm. I was upset because the terms in effect at the time of booking should be like a contract and shouldn't be changed. These new resort fees should only be for those that book it after it went into effect. Now I read in this forum that it will be $94?!?! Maybe it will increase again before our trip in April 2019! We may have to forfeit what we paid RCI and not go since this nearly doubles the cost of the vacation. How disappointing. Too bad this situation probably isn't enough money to interest an attorney in a class action lawsuit.