• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort fee at Massanutten effective 6/29/18 :(

paidemt31

TUG Member
Reaction score
paidemt31

How much did you have to pay
Massanutten Resort Fees?
We didn't have to pay anything, staying at Mountainside. I am a gold card holder, but my SIL traded in for second unit and she didn't have to pay anything either. I don't know if this applies to other sections that are managed by the developer.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't have to pay anything, staying at Mountainside. I am a gold card holder, but my SIL traded in for second unit and she didn't have to pay anything either. I don't know if this applies to other sections that are managed by the developer.

That is interesting as I was under the impression it was included there also. I wonder if your gold card saved her the fee. I have always liked the units at moutainside so would love to know if they are not charging the fee.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Guys various states require that sellers of travel vouchers have to put up bonds to protect purchaser of those vouchers.

RCI - The seller of the exchange voucher is in Florida they do require the travel seller number and complaints against them and for reimbursement of fees paid via their bond can be made to the States Department of Agriculure who overseas travel sales.

If people start challenging RCI on some these BS fees they have encouraged resorts to charge, maybe they will right the wrong.

6192E625-52BE-479B-87CB-A24A4867A00F.png

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked in yesterday. Rented a Woodstone unit directly from the owners. We didn't pay any resort fees mentioned in the thread.

Interesting. I know that should have fallen under their policy. I wonder if it is disorganization (doubtful) rethinking the fee (doubtful) or they are honoring no fee if you made the reservation before the fee.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Interesting. I know that should have fallen under their policy. I wonder if it is disorganization (doubtful) rethinking the fee (doubtful) or they are honoring no fee if you made the reservation before the fee.
No the official policy is that for 2018 the fee only applies to RCI exchanges and even then gold card owners are exempt. So renting from an owner or an owner (gold card or not) using own unit (not through RCI) this year will have no fee. I've sent 3 sets of guests, 2 over 4th of July and 1 now and the fee did not apply to any of my units. The one staying now, I actually combined an RCI half unit with my own unit and I called to prepay the fee for my guest for the rci unit and the woman on the line tried to tell me it would apply to both but then when she pulled up my owner unit the fee did not come up. I prepaid for the RCI unit.

I have heard spot reports that sometimes they are waiving the fee in the RCI reservations and sometimes they are not. I've had 2 fees that as a non gold card owner it was not waived on an RCI exchange. I have another RCI exchange coming up in September but expect to have to pay.

My guess is that in 2019 the fee will apply not only to rci exchanges but to non exchange as well.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
No the official policy is that for 2018 the fee only applies to RCI exchanges and even then gold card owners are exempt. So renting from an owner or an owner (gold card or not) using own unit (not through RCI) this year will have no fee. I've sent 3 sets of guests, 2 over 4th of July and 1 now and the fee did not apply to any of my units. The one staying now, I actually combined an RCI half unit with my own unit and I called to prepay the fee for my guest for the rci unit and the woman on the line tried to tell me it would apply to both but then when she pulled up my owner unit the fee did not come up. I prepaid for the RCI unit.

I have heard spot reports that sometimes they are waiving the fee in the RCI reservations and sometimes they are not. I've had 2 fees that as a non gold card owner it was not waived on an RCI exchange. I have another RCI exchange coming up in September but expect to have to pay.

My guess is that in 2019 the fee will apply not only to rci exchanges but to non exchange as well.

I was thinking it applied to all, but you have the experience. I think it has been spotty as I know on the facebook page one owner complained about a son checking in had to pay it because the gold card owner was not there. I thought it was an owner week but obviously in a review details aren't given and you assume. It would be nice as I usually have rented from an owner or through dae last minute vacations.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
* Massanutten Resort *
Morning Massage Wellness Class

Cost: Free | Limited to the first 12 registered - $25 value!
Learn the benefits of massage and how to self-massage.
Complimentary mimosa or orange juice.

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be going July 29th for the week, so will report back.

Did you have to pay the new Massanutten Resort Fee
Hope you are enjoying your stay at Woodstone!

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We checked in to our Summit unit this evening. We have the whole unit (upper and lower) and the fee was $54. Though I was not thrilled about paying it, we decided to not let it ruin our week. We did buy the Adventure passes...sitting here at the kitchen table strategizing how to get every last penny out of those. ;) You better believe we will!

The unit is amazing.....though the shared laundry thing would be a little strange if we didn't have both units. Anyhow, tomorrow is our "get organized" day, and then let the fun begin!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We checked in to our Summit unit this evening. We have the whole unit (upper and lower) and the fee was $54. Though I was not thrilled about paying it, we decided to not let it ruin our week. We did buy the Adventure passes...sitting here at the kitchen table strategizing how to get every last penny out of those. ;) You better believe we will!

The unit is amazing.....though the shared laundry thing would be a little strange if we didn't have both units. Anyhow, tomorrow is our "get organized" day, and then let the fun begin!

Have a wonderful time! We check out of Smuggs tomorrow and head to Pollard Brook!

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked out Sunday. I waS CHARGED 54. It rained the whole week except Saturday and Sunday (when I left ) I only used the waterpark (Kelli did it twice( shaggy

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the saga continues. Just noticed that a few days after we checked in, I was charged a SECOND $54. I'm assuming that in Massanutten logic, it's because I had both the upper and lower units, even though it is ONE RCI reservation. Will be calling either tomorrow or Monday. How they handle this will determine if we ever return. I only authorized ONE $54 charge, and I WILL dispute it with my card if they won't refund it. What a way to leave a bad taste in your customer's mouth!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
And the saga continues. Just noticed that a few days after we checked in, I was charged a SECOND $54. I'm assuming that in Massanutten logic, it's because I had both the upper and lower units, even though it is ONE RCI reservation. Will be calling either tomorrow or Monday. How they handle this will determine if we ever return. I only authorized ONE $54 charge, and I WILL dispute it with my card if they won't refund it. What a way to leave a bad taste in your customer's mouth!

I was wondering about that. The disclosure from RCI is that the fee would apply to both sides of the lock off even for a single exchange. I was charged $108 for my 4 BR exchange in mid July. When you mentioned a single fee, I thought that maybe Massanutten had backed off on that point. They aren't charging by bedroom they are charging by the lock off side so there are those that are booked into 2 BR lockoffs (two one bedroom units) and still charged the $108 fee.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was wondering about that. The disclosure from RCI is that the fee would apply to both sides of the lock off even for a single exchange. I was charged $108 for my 4 BR exchange in mid July. When you mentioned a single fee, I thought that maybe Massanutten had backed off on that point. They aren't charging by bedroom they are charging by the lock off side so there are those that are booked into 2 BR lockoffs (two one bedroom units) and still charged the $108 fee.
It says "per unit reserved." I guess they are interpreting that as you said. Though looking at my RCI reservation, I might think (if I didn't know the resort through all of you folks) that it was one 4BR unit. It's slimy. Like I said, I'll contact them on Monday. The front desk was very clear about ONE $54 charge when I checked in. The second charge appeared a few days later. If they don't refund it, they've lost a future exchanger over $54. Pretty poor business sense, if you ask me. We spent a load of money there this week, and would have been happy to go back and do it all over again. We shall see how it all pans out.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It says "per unit reserved." I guess they are interpreting that as you said. Though looking at my RCI reservation, I might think (if I didn't know the resort through all of you folks) that it was one 4BR unit. It's slimy. Like I said, I'll contact them on Monday. The front desk was very clear about ONE $54 charge when I checked in. The second charge appeared a few days later. If they don't refund it, they've lost a future exchanger over $54. Pretty poor business sense, if you ask me. We spent a load of money there this week, and would have been happy to go back and do it all over again. We shall see how it all pans out.
I think I was probably filling in the info about the fee with the hours of time I spent on the phone complaining and hearing explanations from Massanutten about the fee.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called today, and was told that they would refund both fees. Huh. Will see if that really comes through. I had also sent an email....the reply said that I'd reserved 2 units. NOPE. I reserved ONE. Following is the text of my reply....time to pop the popcorn and watch the show..... :)

I called the resort today, and the person that I spoke with was able to refund me the fee.

I knew that I would be paying ONE $54 fee….$54 per unit. My RCI reservation is for ONE 4BR unit. It doesn’t say “two 2BR units.” It says ONE 4 BR. How you folks make that 4BR unit is not my concern. 4x1, 1x4, 2x2…whatever. My reservation was for ONE unit….therefore, one fee at most.

Never mind that I had made this reservation almost 2 years ago…well before the fee went into effect. Yes, I know that the resort CAN charge the fee. Is it the right way to do business? Not really. The fee should not have been charged on reservations made before it went into effect.

I asked the person on the phone today to see about escalating the issue up to RCI. Any sort of fee should be crystal clear to prospective exchangers, right on the page where reservations are made. It should not be assumed that the exchanger knows all about how the different units are locked out/combined.

The bottom line is that if the resort really “wows” the exchanger with great service, then the exchanger might actually be tempted to take one of the tours, and perhaps buy. I’m not really feeling that way right now, that’s for sure. We spent over $700 on site, not counting the Washington DC trip. Keep those exchangers happy, and they keep coming and spending money.

I’m waiting to see the credit on my bill before I complete my RCI/Trip Advisor review.

Thank you for your attention to all of this. Hoping it all gets ironed out as I was told it would be.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the resort's reply. At least they are quick to get back to folks....

Hello Missy,

Thank you for your reply. I checked your account and everything looks OK. You should see the refund in a few days on your credit card.

Thanks,

Jerry Nichols

Resort Feedback Coordinator - Strive for Five | Massanutten Resort ®

Phone – 540.289.9441 | Fax – 540.289.6981 | www.massresort.com

“Seeking the Joy Of Perfection”

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WOO HOO!!! I got my refund!!!! :) Happy that they made things right. Will look into Mountainside if we ever go back, or else clarify how many units are being combined and what I'll pay....BEFORE making the reservation.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I own a Summit. I have called twice in the last week and was connected immediately. I am heading there on 8/31. I will find out soon enough, but as owners, we were never notified of a fee. Interesting. I did see an email that they are going to start remodeling all of the summit units.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to exchange into this resort. Does the resort fee cover playing golf and cart fees for your week? We will not be using The Water Park.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would like to exchange into this resort. Does the resort fee cover playing golf and cart fees for your week? We will not be using The Water Park.
The resort fee covers nothing that was not covered previously which was not golf or water park. The resort fee covers internet, regular pools, playgrounds, tennis (although there may still be fees for equipment rental), racquetball ball, There are also various no fee recreation programs like trivia night and texas hold em tournament, kickball for kids, basketball for adults and teens that were always free but now the resort fee is supposed to cover those things.

If you play golf they have golf passes that might save you money. It does not include cart fee but you don't have to get a cart and can walk the course if you so choose. https://www.massresort.com/play/golf/woodstone-meadows/#page-539
Best Golf Value!

3-Round Pass | $89 (green fees only)
5-Round Pass | $129 (green fees only)
Upgrade the Adventure Pass for unlimited Golf! Click here for more info.

All golf passes include:

• $4 OFF | Large Bucket of Range Balls: Valid 5x
  • $5 OFF | Any Golf Clinic
  • $10 OFF | Any Golf Lesson
  • $10 OFF | Professional Club Fitting
  • 50% OFF | Golf Simulator
  • 25% OFF | Any Club Rental
  • 20% OFF | Massanutten Resort Logo Apparel at Golf Shops: Valid 1x
  • 10% OFF | Specialty Dinners: Beer Lover’s, Murder Mystery, Virginia Winemaker’s & Mixology Mixer.
  • FREE | Entries to weekly Golf Pass Tournaments

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
tschwa2, thanks for the golf information.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
MASSANUTTEN RESORT
  • NEW! Amazon Fire TV Stick rental

The Televisions in some/most of The Summit
units are old and dated and still have CD/VCR
combo players. Most units don`t have DVD
or Blu-Raywith HDMI or USB so now you can
rent an Amazon Fire TV Stick from The Market
for only $15 for 2 nights or $25 for 4 days!
I have my own firestick that I take with me.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back. The desk can waive the fee until Jan 1. After that it is pay to play.

Money is going to refurbish every single Summit and Woodstone in 2019. I’m ok with that, and if they follow through, ok with fee

Stayed in partially upgraded one, new carpet and railings, fresh paint and paintings, tile on deck, tv mount. Nice. Need to replace furniture and appliances.