• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

reserving unit for college age kids.. any issues to be aware of.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
My daughter and her female friend are wanting to spend a week in Orlando and do universal this june. I can get the units in my name which I have done many time. I or my wife will not be able to make the trip down with them this time..

What do I need to do to make sure there is no problem with check in for them without me or the wife there??

thanks

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Most places have a 21 year age limit for checkin. Check the resort and read the rules. Just to be sure.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
she will be 22 the end of march so that might work out.. I will check and see.. is that specific at each resort or RCI type deal??

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The age to check in is 21 with very few exceptions. I know you have to be 25 at Wyndham Emerald Grande in Destin, Florida. At the DVC resorts you only have to be 18.

If you or your wife won't be there you'll have to spend the extra for a guest certificate for her stay unless you book a Disney World resort. But since they are wanting to go to Universal you probably wouldn't be booking a Disney World resort.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I did this some years back for my dd and a couple of her friends. At the time my dd wasn't 21, and I don't think her friends were either. I was able to reserve a unit for them at Vistana (I think). They were okay with her being under 21 (but over 18). I checked with the resort before I made booked the unit through RCI. I don't remember if I needed to get her a guest certificate.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
At Hilton Grand Vacations, the minimum age is 18.
She will most likely need a GC...
unless she has the same name as you or your wife.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My daughter and her female friend are wanting to spend a week in Orlando and do universal this june. I can get the units in my name which I have done many time. I or my wife will not be able to make the trip down with them this time..

What do I need to do to make sure there is no problem with check in for them without me or the wife there??

thanks
If you’re doing RCI look for HGVC or Sheraton Vistana Resort if they are going for a weekend, I’d look to send her to a universal resort hotel so it’s easy and safe.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
If you or your wife won't be there you'll have to spend the extra for a guest certificate for her stay unless you book a Disney World resort. But since they are wanting to go to Universal you probably wouldn't be booking a Disney World resort.

I would phone the resort and ask about the need for a Guest Certificate for an immediate family member. I have booked many units at many different resorts (US & Canada) for our sons (same last name) and when I phoned the resort itself I was told each time that since they are immediate family with the same last name there was no need for a Guest Certificate because they were RCI's requirement, not the individual resort. I did write a letter each time for the boys to take that explained that I had booked the resort and they had my full permission to use the reservation and the name of the person at the resort that I had spoken with who said a GC wasn't needed.

~Diane

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
how much is the Guest certificate,, not able to see it on RCI..

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
how much is the Guest certificate,, not able to see it on RCI..
I'm seeing $89.00.

This is from the RCI website. I'm curious about the statement that they can only be purchased in cash???? This seems to be contradicted by other information online. Also interesting they can't be used by someone under 21. I know my dd was under 21 when I got her a unit in Orlando. Maybe she didn't need one since we have the same last name.

How much does an RCI® Guest Certificate cost?
RCI Guest Certificates cost $89USD. Please note that regular transaction fees are still required and that RCI Guest Certificates are always purchased with cash.
And remember…RCI Platinum® members receive a 25% discount on Guest Certificates! (Discount will automatically be applied at checkout).
Please Note: Guest Certificates may only be used by the individual(s) named on the certificate and may not be used by persons under the age of twenty-one (21).

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes that is odd for the Cash only option.. not many people can send cash to RCI. my daughter is not married so same last name for now.. might not worry about it but will call the resort and ask again. the first person was not sure.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
yes that is odd for the Cash only option.. not many people can send cash to RCI. my daughter is not married so same last name for now.. might not worry about it but will call the resort and ask again. the first person was not sure.
I’d call the resort and ask if your daughter can check in early and you’ll be there the next day, see if they will add her to the reservation. Sheraton vistana resort May, if you can book them in RCI.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have no idea why the cash only statement was in there. In another place on the RCI website it tells you how to get the guest certificate, and shows it's all done online. That would have to be by credit card.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
so I decided just to get the guest certificate just to make sure there is no issue.. If I had done this before and knew it might be ok just call a couple day before and let them know I was not able to check in but would be there a day later but with our future having us in Northern US during that time it's worth the 90 buck,, what a fricken rip off by the way, to just get the GC.. ( I hate the nickel and dime you to death bull $hit of RCI.. ) might have to look at not renewing the membership in 2028,, maybe DAE or someohter exchange company will be just as good more or less.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I'm curious about the statement that they can only be purchased in cash????
I'm guessing they really meant to indicate that you can't use RCI points or TPUs, only "cash", for the purchase. Similar wording is used on the HGVC site when they talk about Open Season reservations are "cash" only. In both cases, CC transactions are used for that "cash" purchase.

Kurt