• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reserving Aruba Ocean Club with Destination Points

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
I am trying to reserve January and February in Aruba. I went in exactly 9:00 on the 13 month release date and again on the 12 month release date. I got on the waiting list at the first 12 month window. Does anyone have experience or guidance for securing Aruba reservations?

Is there a severe shortage of Aruba weeks in the trust? I heard Aruba did not qualify for points enrollment because of legal issues. Do you know the details?

Thanks

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
January and February is peak time in Aruba so opportunities are limited for points reservations as most weeks owners either use or rent. I'm heading to Aruba in May for 2 weeks on points reservations that were each booked on the 12 month release date in 2019. I was able to secure 2 bedroom Ocean Front at the Aruba Ocean Club. Likely to get 1st floor...….

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Is there a severe shortage of Aruba weeks in the trust?
The Trust is a U.S. Land Trust, so there are no non-US weeks in the Trust. Only Aruba availability is via an enrolled owner exchanging for points or via the MVC Exchange nabbing availability from Interval.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
This is what I fear come April when I want to book Surf Club for April 2021. It is maddening. It is my "home."

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
I started looking at the 12 month window and kept checking 2 - 3 times a day and nabbed a 1 bed at ocean club ( I was looking at Surf Club too) for January 4th for 7 days. Kept looking for a little while as we only needed a studio to save points and it appears that there is random availability and it gets booked fast, usually within and hour or two.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get on waiting list if you call in.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Thanks all. I needed two weeks in two villas. Looks like snagging a single week is hard, four weeks impossible. I was on the wait-list as single weeks. Just cancelled to do something else.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoever said no such thing as too much sun hasn't seen my maintenance fees (LOL). Now, that's funny!

December - Beachplace
Jan - Surf Club
Feb - Villas at Doral
April - HH

Wally3433

Reaction score
I would think that Destination Points people would have priority, but maybe not.

I just traded into the Surf Club for April 23 into a 2 bedroom, using a Surf Club Gold lockoff. This is the 18th year in a row that I have been able to split my 2 bedroom Surf Club, then re-book into (2) separate weeks of two bedroom units (or higher). I have never used my actual MVC unit - always done the split/trade via Interval - mostly back into Aruba. Also sprinkled Waiohai, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Hilton Head and Maui.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I would think that Destination Points people would have priority, but maybe not.

I just traded into the Surf Club for April 23 into a 2 bedroom, using a Surf Club Gold lockoff. This is the 18th year in a row that I have been able to split my 2 bedroom Surf Club, then re-book into (2) separate weeks of two bedroom units (or higher). I have never used my actual MVC unit - always done the split/trade via Interval - mostly back into Aruba. Also sprinkled Waiohai, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Hilton Head and Maui.
trading into a unit(s) comes from someone depositing the unit you were able to trade into....Destination Points does not

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
trading into a unit(s) comes from someone depositing the unit you were able to trade into....Destination Points does not
Surely though Destination Points units come from someone depositing “electing” their week(s) for points?

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
So if someone were on the waitlist for that resort on those dates would it become available to that person before becoming available on II or are they completely separate?

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Unfortunately we own points, not weeks. I was told putting points into II does not seem to be worthwhile and why many do not do it.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can’t exchange into an MVC on II using DPs so couldn’t get Aruba Surf or Ocean club.

If you wanted a non MVC resort then exchanging with DP points on II is an option.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
I know, it's a real bummer. If I cannot get Surf or Ocean club for next April I am debating whether to put on wait list or try and get St Thomas. Otherwise I could try and exchange my points for St John or another resort in Aruba. I do not want to hijack sunandfun83's post but was curious when I saw about the resorts going into II whether they could go to those on the wait list and I now see they do not. Thanks for the replies.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Separate- when an owner deposits into II it goes to those who have a request on II and then into the general II inventory.
MVC has no access to a week deposited into II so being the MVC waitlist doesn’t matter in that situation.

About what's bolded: It's not true that MVW can't access II inventory to fulfill DC Points reservation requests. They can and do, and the original FAQ that they posted on the owners' website made it clear. It appears that FAQ has since been removed but the legal processes by which the DC Exchange Company can access II inventory is explained in the Exchange Procedures governing docs. I'm on the hunt to link relevant current info but in the meantime this remains in the TUG DC Points FAQ:

MVCI Weeks and MVCD Points inventory is kept separate according to the terms of each system's governing documents in order to protect Owners/Members ownership and usage rights. Inventory available through the DC Exchange Company is sourced from Marriott-controlled deposits as well as (according to the MVCD FAQ on my-vacationclub.com,) "... other Marriott Vacation Club Owners who enroll their weeks and elect Vacation Club Points, and non-enrolled Owners who trade their usage for Marriott Rewards points or exchange their week through membership in Interval International."

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
About what's bolded: It's not true that MVW can't access II inventory to fulfill DC Points reservation requests. They can and do, and the original FAQ that they posted on the owners' website made it clear. It appears that FAQ has since been removed but the legal processes by which the DC Exchange Company can access II inventory is explained in the Exchange Procedures governing docs. I'm on the hunt to link relevant current info but in the meantime this remains in the TUG DC Points FAQ:

OK, don’t worry about the hunt I will take your word for it.
I was told what I posted by MVC phone rep, but I have received inaccurate info before.
She told me MVC and II inventory was totally separate and once a week was in II it didn’t come out again.

Last edited:

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Thank you SueDon. I really appreciate it. Good to know in case I do need to exchange should the resort I wish to hold is not available. Again, it is really hard when you have a daughter who is a teacher and only has certain weeks available. I feel like going to Aruba in the summer is a waste since it is so nice in New England then.