• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reservation mixup? Who wins this one?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I own at Wyndham Mauna Loa Village in Kona. I reserved next July 4th week there as a wedding gift for my neice and her soon-to-be husband. They're excited about staying there, and seeing the Big Island for the first time. I want them to have a great honeymoon there, and need to be sure there are no hangups with their reservation.

I received the confirmation letter from Wyndham this week, and I just opened it. Everything is correct with regards dates and all, but it says I'm confirmed as owner of a 2 bedroom unit. I only own a 1br. Is this a typo? (Even though it says "Description: 2 BEDROOM; Occupancy: 6." The 1br units only sleep four. So if it's a typo, it's wrong in two places.)

So where is the mixup? Did Wyndham goof and give me a larger unit in error? Did I get an accidental upgrade? Does this kind of thing happen often? This is the first time I've reserved at the resort, even though I own there. Do I need to call them and make sure exactly what is reserved?

I doubt my neice and her husband will be having company with them in the condo, ( :eek: ), but since the 2br units at this resort are so much larger than the 1br units, I'd kind of like to leave this alone, if it won't cause any problems for them. Anyone have a suggestion?

Dave

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not e-mail Wyndham, and tell them that there were "problems" reading the confirmation letter, and would they "please" send another one.

If they send the same letter, then it would appear that they have given you a 2-br unit.

Another thought. (It depends upon what day of the week "check-in" is.) Call, and ask the resort for a specific unit (or several units)---tell them that it is a "honeymoon" present. (I "might" be able to help you in what ""I" consider "better" units.)

Tony

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Tony. I'll send them a message. And yes, I'd like your insights for which you feel are better units. Knowledge is power, right? ;)

Thanks,
Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Who is this booked with?

Did you book this via Wyndham for FSP points or via RCI as exchange.

It makes a difference.

RCI could very easily give you an upgrade. RCI exchanges give units size and occupancy.

If you booked it via Wyndham it would be much more points for a 1 BR vs a 2 BR as July 4th is diffinitely prime season. But I would have thought that you would have noticed the point difference, as you would have had to been made aware of the point total. Wyndham reservations only indicate unit size, but I don't remember occupany on the reservation. Of course I do not have a reservation in front of me right now to check.

So with whom did you book this unit, Wyndham or RCI?

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did you book this via Wyndham for FSP points or via RCI as exchange.

It makes a difference.

RCI could very easily give you an upgrade, since there was a recent bulk spacebank, and there are very few 1 BRs most are 2 BRs at this location. RCI exchanges give units size and occupancy.

If you booked it via Wyndham it would be much more points for a 1 BR vs a 2 BR as July 4th is diffinitely prime season. But I would have thought that you would have noticed the point difference, as you would have had to been made aware of the point total. Wyndham reservations only indicate unit size, but I don't remember occupany on the reservation. Of course I do not have a reservation in front of me right now to check.

So with whom did you book this unit, Wyndham or RCI?

Hi Sandy,

I reserved it verbally through Wyndham Owner Services for the resort. I own a Week at this resort (I'm not a Points guy), so this is not an exchange. I reserved my week, and this letter is what Wyndham sent to confirm the reservation. It references my Owner Number and so forth. The only thing out of line with it is it says I'm confirmed into a 2br instead of a 1br. Everything else is correct.

It's a Sunday check-in, which they assured me was fine, which works perfectly, since the wedding is Saturday evening in San Francisco. The newlyweds can sleep in, get on a mid-day flight to Kona, and be there in plenty of time for a normal check-in.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Update: Wyndham admits they goofed

After receiving a 2009 maintenance fee bill that seemed a lot higher than it should be, I called Wyndham to get to the bottom of things. It occurred to me that perhaps the reason they sent me a 2br confirmation for my reservation was because they mistakenly thought I owned a 2br unit.

Turns out the MF bill was really for a 1br - but it's a pretty substantial increase over last year's rate. The 2br MF rate is way higher than what I received.

Wyndham admitted they goofed and accidentally reserved a 2br for me, and it should have been a 1br. They corrected things. They said when my niece showed up at the resort, they wouldn't have let them check in, since I don't own a 2br. Not sure I believe that, since if they had a reservation confirmation in hand, who's to say the resort would even check? But I guess maybe they'd have compared my name to their owner's list, and they'd see I only own a 1br. Rather than risk the chance of screwing up my neice's honeymoon, I was fine with Wyndham correcting their error.

Now we'll see if the corrected confirmation letter I'm to receive is right.

Dave