• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reservation always booked

naz5vac

Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I am a newbie and looking for helpful tips on the reservation process:

I have been looking for the past 2 weeks (every hour it seems like) to reserve a beach-on site vacation in Florida during April and July. All the resorts are booked during the weeks that I need. Any tips on how I can improve my chances of getting a reservation? If I call, are the results the same?

Thanks again and all advice is welcomed :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Success in timesharing requires advanced planning. Kids have Easter Vacation in April, and July has the 4th of July week, and is the most popular month at the beach. You are just too late in making your request. You should try at the earliest possible date allowed by your ownership - as I recall that's 8 mos. out?

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
10 months for Wyndham points.

You need to request at least 8 and as close to 10 months out as you can to get July dates. 8 is probably OK for April but 9 would be better. Good luck & enjoy the Wyndham system.

naz5vac

Reaction score
Thanks Denise. yes, those weeks are in high demand but is it always like that? In my short experience so far, I am frustrated and cannot use my points when I want to use them. So, I am paying a monthly fee and cannot get what I want. Any suggestions? I already looked at trying to book a beach vacation around 12/25, but they are already booked!

I am using this on-line reservation system for the first time and it has not been a good experience. I was so excited about these points but now I am just frustrated. I call these resorts/hotels directly and they have availability but of course they don't accept points via phone. I am trying to book my family vacations for spring and summer and cannot use my points :wall:

Thanks again for any help.

naz5vac

Reaction score
Thanks John. I will try that for next year. I guess I am out of luck for this year :(

In your experience, do you have any suggestions on the timeframe (which day or week) should I keep checking the reservation system for cancellations? If someone cancelled, do they update it automatically in the system?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise. yes, those weeks are in high demand but is it always like that? In my short experience so far, I am frustrated and cannot use my points when I want to use them. So, I am paying a monthly fee and cannot get what I want. Any suggestions? I already looked at trying to book a beach vacation around 12/25, but they are already booked!

I am using this on-line reservation system for the first time and it has not been a good experience. I was so excited about these points but now I am just frustrated. I call these resorts/hotels directly and they have availability but of course they don't accept points via phone. I am trying to book my family vacations for spring and summer and cannot use my points :wall:

Been there. You have to get into the timeshare reservation mindset - it isn't the same as a hotel reservation. You MUST plan ahead unless you are willing to freestyle last minute availability - most newbies won't / can't do that. If you need specific dates & locations you need to make your request virtually as soon as you can - 10 months out in most cases (except for your home resort where you get 11-12 months out to reserve). For REALLY high demand resorts or use times those owners can & do, in some relatively rare cases such as Myrtle Beach, actually take all the available time prior to the "open season" for non-owners to reserve. You have to study a bit to see how in demand a location time is & then plan your reservation request to fit that.

Most areas/times don't require that game but most Holidays & July early August at many resorts do. You are learning - once you grasp the process it's really not that tough & the resorts are a great value. Just slow down a bit & learn how to use your points to your best advantage.

Yes there are cancellations & they show up at any time - especially a few weeks before the use date. But depending on that is risky. Check every day to see if they appear.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Try again. Ocean Walk (Daytona), and Sea Garden and Santa Barbara (both in Pompano Beach) have 1BR and 2BR units starting December 22, 2012.

Where did you want to go?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks John. I will try that for next year. I guess I am out of luck for this year :(

In your experience, do you have any suggestions on the timeframe (which day or week) should I keep checking the reservation system for cancellations? If someone cancelled, do they update it automatically in the system?

10 months on the dot, for a place like Royal Vista for spring break(Easter) if you want something on the beach. My husband has watched RV for the last couple of years and for a 2br you had better book that day.

I've been pretty happy with our Wyndham points and getting what I want, but if you are talking school holiday periods with any system it's best to book as soon as the booking window opens(I have Disney points and a Starwood ski week).

I had to wait till the 10 month mark to book my home resort, Old Town Alexandria for spring break this year. Was online as soon as it opened and grabbed a 2br unit. Long story on why I couldn't use ARP.

naz5vac

Reaction score
That location would be great but I was looking to go on 12/27 for a few days. I saw availability on 12/22, but nothing after 12/25. If I reserve the date of 12/22 for 7 days can I go back and change the date to 12/27 for 7 days?

Once the date is available in the 10 month window, can I book for 7 days. For example, can I book a vacation tomorrow for 12/27 for 7 days since 12/27 opens tomorrow or do I have to wait until the 7th day is open?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
South Florida inbound days are FRI and SAT except Palm Aire also has Sunday.

You must checkin or OUT on Fri or Sat and a minimum number of nights is 3 or 4.

You best bet is to BOOK your first set of 3 nights and then get a 2nd set (could be at a different resort) when that booking window opens.

You can NOT book over a checkin date with a split reservation (which is what you are trying to do with 7 nights starting on Dec 27 as the FRI/SAT checkin reservation period is NOT open YET). Remember, if the checkin date is Jan 1, you will be using 2013 points.

Read the book. LEARN the rules. Yes, the rules are complex but you have a limited window of vacationing and trying for the very best dates. :)

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
That location would be great but I was looking to go on 12/27 for a few days. I saw availability on 12/22, but nothing after 12/25. If I reserve the date of 12/22 for 7 days can I go back and change the date to 12/27 for 7 days?

Once the date is available in the 10 month window, can I book for 7 days. For example, can I book a vacation tomorrow for 12/27 for 7 days since 12/27 opens tomorrow or do I have to wait until the 7th day is open?

Yes you can book for 7 days at the 10 month mark. Though some of the resorts don't have Fri/Sat/Sun check ins, so you have to read the small print on the bottom of the point chart. Royal Vista and Canterbury in SF are 2 that I have to double check.

Booking timeshare stays require a bit of advance planning depending on the systems booking window. Don't look at the calendar on my phone, for every possible trip I've got an alert set for my different windows!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My post above ANSWERS all the reasons WHY you can't book 7 nights on the 27th now.

YOU must also WATCH Reservation Transaction Credits USED and Housekeeping Credits. The wonderful computer system will soon be nickle and diming you for all those SHORT stays.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its too early to book for 12/27

!0 months out is 2/27 tomorrow...and yes you can, and should make a reservation that starts on Dec 27...tomorrow 7 am, be on the computer.

As far as your summer beach week goes , dont over look the Fl panhandle...and you could stay in orlando, and drive to the beach...Also PlamAire, although not on the beach, I believe that they provide a shuttle to the beach

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Small addendum to my last post...as has been said, check in probably has to be on a fri (dec 28) or saturday ...so a check in on the 27th is probably not possible

I think we may be scaring our original poster....while there are some reservations that you have to be there, 10 months in advance at 7am..If you have just a little flexibility you can almost always get a nice vacation...

for example there is still lots of stuff available in Orlando for Christmas 2012. And I made several reservations for the New Orleans Jazz Fest in the last 2 weeks, watching for cancellations

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Small addendum to my last post...as has been said, check in probably has to be on a fri (dec 28) or saturday ...so a check in on the 27th is probably not possible

I think we may be scaring our original poster....while there are some reservations that you have to be there, 10 months in advance at 7am..If you have just a little flexibility you can almost always get a nice vacation...

for example there is still lots of stuff available in Orlando for Christmas 2012. And I made several reservations for the New Orleans Jazz Fest in the last 2 weeks, watching for cancellations

I don't think we are scaring the OP, I think he's on a school schedule like some of us and to get where, when and the right size I would be booking at the 10 month mark.

I've been doing this TS'ing thing for 6yrs now(Disney,Wyndham, Starwood and thankfully a fixed Bluegreen week) and since I am stuck on a school schedule I'm on the phone/computer at my booking window. Some DVC vacations I wait till the 7 month window, but for Thanksgiving or Easter I'm booking at my 11 month window.

GeraldineT

Reaction score
I am confused. I just looked and Sea Gardens has availability in July as does Panama and Royal Vista. Also Palm Aire but I don't really consider that a beach resort. All had 1 and 2 BR availability. Maybe you are doing something wrong when searching.

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I to have had problems whether at 2 months or 10 months,and where the computer tells me there are no vacancies ,i call wyndham and 9 out of 10 times there is availability where I wanted to go, computer gremlins i guess, so you might try calling wyndham.