• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescission question around fees

Reaction score
Hi, I entered into an agreement this week while abroad at Azul Beach and purchased a membership with Prestige Travelers. Part of the agreement was to also trade in my weeks that I got at Grand Sirenis (Ultimate Leisure Club). However, after sitting with the decision for a while, we decided to rescind and sent our request in the next business day (signed on Saturday, rescinded Monday).

My email to them indicated my desire to rescind and that I understood that under Article 56 I am allowed to do so without any penalty and so expected a full refund, despite the contract having the following wording:

“Prestige will retain 100% of the administration fee, and the full amount of any incentive received as part of the agreement.”

I spelled out that this clause doesn’t hold water as I can’t waive my rights to rescission with full refund and so I expected to receive the administrative closing fee back in addition to the down payment (well, technically only 1/6 of the down payment has been paid by me, as I had gone through a financing offer with them).

The Verification Legal Officer that we had initially done our documents with at the time of signing the contract responded to me, reminding me that my contract had the terms outlined above. They wrote, “ Let me remind you how the Cancelation Policyworks for this membership.
According to ARTICLE 56 of our Federal law & the Consumers Protection Laws, the cancellation period to cancel a legally binding contract in México is only the first 5 working days.
I know you are within 5 days as I explained to you when I read your contract aloud,” at which time I replied reiterating that article 56 is clear about being able to cancel the contract without *any* penalty, and I should receive a *full* refund. After that, radio silence for a few days.

Last night I wrote back and asked for confirmation this is being processed on their end and that I was expecting a full refund, and asked them to update with an expected timeline by which I should be receiving that.

They wrote back again today, saying, “Just remember that you signed a legal contract. As I notified you in my last email; You signed a contract where it clearly says the penalty for cancellation. I read it both of you out loud. You signed two promissory notes of which the first has already processed the first monthly payment as agreed shortly, I am going to send a cancelation letter agreement, through the Doc Hub sign Platform, eventhouhg I dont know your reason of cancelling. Also, I am going to tell FBGS conpany to process the refund of that monthly payment. So please, let's speed up this procedure and terminate it.”

So my questions are:

1. Am I not entitled to a full refund, and need to pay the administrative closing cost, despite the fact that the contract shouldn’t even really be closed yet given the rescission period? Is it possible to waive these rights, contrary to my understanding?

2. Is it odd that I’m being asked to sign a new contract in order to have this one cancelled? My immediate thought is that this is their way to get me to sign a new binding contract and waive my rights. I can’t imagine needing to sign anything in order to dissolve the original.

3. Even if the contract states the fee, shouldn’t the fact that I’m rescinding the contract also mean that clause is not binding?

4. Does anyone know a way I can contact Profeco? I included them in my initial emails to the resort, financing company, timeshare equity company, basically every email address I found in my packet, but they haven’t yet responded. I opted to include them in the first email so that they’d have unambiguous proof that I’d contacted the resort within the 5 days, but I was trying to get into contact with them to ask about the above without luck. I did find a toll free number 800-468-8722 but when I called it, it was all in Spanish and pressing zero didn’t get me through to anyone.

For reference, the closing fee was $1310 USD and the down payment was $2670 USD over 6 months with a 2.99% fee, so 6 payments of $458.31, only one of which has currently been paid.

Also relevant is the new contract I’m being asked to sign is only visible for one day now that I’ve accessed it (red flag to me, encouraging me to sign immediately without thinking too hard), doesn’t specifically mention having FBGS refund me (that was only in the email), and also releases them of liability for all past, present, and future claims and bank disputes, and demands that we don’t disparage them online, and never talk about the contents of the settlement. The settlement offer has a $0 refund and a $0 fee for incentives.

Any help, tips, etc. for navigating the next phase of this? Am I out the $1310, or worse yet the full $4059.86?

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you sent it via REGISTERED MAIL and maintained a copy of your Postal Receipt (which indicates you had a timely mailing within the five days) then you should be all set.

If they should deny it then you need to make copies of your letter, your Postal Receipt, and mail it to Profeco. They should handle it for you if it gets to this stage.

Reaction score
As long as you sent it via REGISTERED MAIL and maintained a copy of your Postal Receipt (which indicates you had a timely mailing within the five days) then you should be all set.

If they should deny it then you need to make copies of your letter, your Postal Receipt, and mail it to Profeco. They should handle it for you if it gets to this stage.

I was under the impression that email was legally unquestionable and acceptable according to Profeco as well? I only sent via email all communications so far.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may or may not be. The Government runs the Post Office and that is why you want a Postmark. Never an issue should you have to go to a Court of Law. Will an email with date hold up? Don't know for sure. Some say yes, some say no.

We know Registered Mail does the trick for sure.

Reaction score
I best get to the post office soon then, as today would be the fifth business day after Saturday (assuming the signing date isn’t counted in the 5 - I’m sure I saw that on Profeco somewhere). I’ll just print off my email chain and add a brief letter reiterating my request for full refund. That $20 fee seems worth the peace of mind.

Reaction score
Or I guess more like $60, as I imagine I need to individually send to Prestige, FBGS (financing), and Vacations Center (equity agreement) to rescind each.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Or I guess more like $60, as I imagine I need to individually send to Prestige, FBGS (financing), and Vacations Center (equity agreement) to rescind each.
That is less than what you would have paid.

Reaction score
Sorry to rehash this but I’m getting concerned that I may be incorrect here.

The contract states

“7. Membership Cancelation Policy. Both parties’ consent that this agreement may be rescinded according to the Mexico Consumer Protection Law on regards the NOM-010-TUR-2001 norm. In order to process the cancellation, a written request from the client is required. Prestige will retain 100% of the administrative fee, and the full cost of any incentive received as part of the agreement.”

The resort has now contact me I think 5-6 times stating repeatedly that they read this to us out loud and we agreed to it and they therefore do not need to refund this amount to us.

I was under the impression that article 56 specifically refers to a full refund of all monies paid. And also, if the contract is being made null and void how would we even be bound by this particular clause?

The resort has even called and left messages for my wife and I, and are trying to get us to sign a cancellation agreement/settlement absolving them of any liability going forward, promising not to dispute the charges with the bank, etc and with a $0 refund to us (they did refund the Down payment portion).

They even cc’d Profeco on the last email and in the phone call said something like “see we even copied them on the email to show this is correct.”

Except, from my perspective, since Profeco hasn’t actually replied to any of the emails it’s hard to accept their being copied on it as proof that they’re within their rights here. And if I sign in the meantime, even if Profeco says they should refund us, I imagine the new contract settling with them would take precedence.

So really quickly, is this clause binding? Am I having to forfeit the administrative fee of $1310 USD or should I keep pushing back?

NB I have contacted Visa to dispute the charge already but they said it may take up to 30 business days for them to reverse it and then up to 90 more days for them to investigate and possibly recharge us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Please, can anyone provide clarification on this?

Also, has anyone ever had Profeco reply to any emails you sent to extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx? It’s been 2.5 weeks and I haven’t heard anything from them. The resort has stopped trying to contact us, for better or for worse. Still no word on if they’ll refund my card. Also no word from Visa yet.

Being in limbo is really stressing me out.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I was under the impression that email was legally unquestionable and acceptable according to Profeco as well? I only sent via email all communications so far.

According to Profeco email is acceptable. Email also provides a timestamp. The fact that they emailed you back means they received the recision in time. If you used a credit card you should file a fraud claim.

Bill

rpennisi

Reaction score
Send a PM to Vacationer098. He(she) probably cannot reply publicly(?).

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It looks like Vacation098 does not have the box checked to get private conversations. I was going to give @VacationDynasty instructions.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm dealing with the same thing with the same resort. Did you get your admin fee back? If so, how? Thanks!
I suspect that Vacationer098 posted multiple negative reviews and a condition of their settling was to have those taken down. We've seen this tactic work before.

mmags777

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solmar
Hi, I entered into an agreement this week while abroad at Azul Beach and purchased a membership with Prestige Travelers. Part of the agreement was to also trade in my weeks that I got at Grand Sirenis (Ultimate Leisure Club). However, after sitting with the decision for a while, we decided to rescind and sent our request in the next business day (signed on Saturday, rescinded Monday).

My email to them indicated my desire to rescind and that I understood that under Article 56 I am allowed to do so without any penalty and so expected a full refund, despite the contract having the following wording:

“Prestige will retain 100% of the administration fee, and the full amount of any incentive received as part of the agreement.”

I spelled out that this clause doesn’t hold water as I can’t waive my rights to rescission with full refund and so I expected to receive the administrative closing fee back in addition to the down payment (well, technically only 1/6 of the down payment has been paid by me, as I had gone through a financing offer with them).

The Verification Legal Officer that we had initially done our documents with at the time of signing the contract responded to me, reminding me that my contract had the terms outlined above. They wrote, “ Let me remind you how the Cancelation Policyworks for this membership.
According to ARTICLE 56 of our Federal law & the Consumers Protection Laws, the cancellation period to cancel a legally binding contract in México is only the first 5 working days.
I know you are within 5 days as I explained to you when I read your contract aloud,” at which time I replied reiterating that article 56 is clear about being able to cancel the contract without *any* penalty, and I should receive a *full* refund. After that, radio silence for a few days.

Last night I wrote back and asked for confirmation this is being processed on their end and that I was expecting a full refund, and asked them to update with an expected timeline by which I should be receiving that.

They wrote back again today, saying, “Just remember that you signed a legal contract. As I notified you in my last email; You signed a contract where it clearly says the penalty for cancellation. I read it both of you out loud. You signed two promissory notes of which the first has already processed the first monthly payment as agreed shortly, I am going to send a cancelation letter agreement, through the Doc Hub sign Platform, eventhouhg I dont know your reason of cancelling. Also, I am going to tell FBGS conpany to process the refund of that monthly payment. So please, let's speed up this procedure and terminate it.”

So my questions are:

1. Am I not entitled to a full refund, and need to pay the administrative closing cost, despite the fact that the contract shouldn’t even really be closed yet given the rescission period? Is it possible to waive these rights, contrary to my understanding?

2. Is it odd that I’m being asked to sign a new contract in order to have this one cancelled? My immediate thought is that this is their way to get me to sign a new binding contract and waive my rights. I can’t imagine needing to sign anything in order to dissolve the original.

3. Even if the contract states the fee, shouldn’t the fact that I’m rescinding the contract also mean that clause is not binding?

4. Does anyone know a way I can contact Profeco? I included them in my initial emails to the resort, financing company, timeshare equity company, basically every email address I found in my packet, but they haven’t yet responded. I opted to include them in the first email so that they’d have unambiguous proof that I’d contacted the resort within the 5 days, but I was trying to get into contact with them to ask about the above without luck. I did find a toll free number 800-468-8722 but when I called it, it was all in Spanish and pressing zero didn’t get me through to anyone.

For reference, the closing fee was $1310 USD and the down payment was $2670 USD over 6 months with a 2.99% fee, so 6 payments of $458.31, only one of which has currently been paid.

Also relevant is the new contract I’m being asked to sign is only visible for one day now that I’ve accessed it (red flag to me, encouraging me to sign immediately without thinking too hard), doesn’t specifically mention having FBGS refund me (that was only in the email), and also releases them of liability for all past, present, and future claims and bank disputes, and demands that we don’t disparage them online, and never talk about the contents of the settlement. The settlement offer has a $0 refund and a $0 fee for incentives.

Any help, tips, etc. for navigating the next phase of this? Am I out the $1310, or worse yet the full $4059.86

mmags777

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solmar

So my questions are:

Any help, tips, etc. for navigating the next phase of this? Am I out the $1310, or worse yet the full $4059.86?
Hello .. Where you able to get your full refund ? , i just purchased Grand Solmar on Sat 11th ,2023 and today is wed , im thinking about canceling and overnighting my cancelation letter. Even though my contracts say no refund and no cancelation the sales person told me i will lose my deposit and my closing cost and getting zero back which was about 4500 total.. Let me know if this is going to be a nightmare now , im so stressed out .. thank you

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello .. Where you able to get your full refund ? , i just purchased Grand Solmar on Sat 11th ,2023 and today is wed , im thinking about canceling and overnighting my cancelation letter. Even though my contracts say no refund and no cancelation the sales person told me i will lose my deposit and my closing cost and getting zero back which was about 4500 total.. Let me know if this is going to be a nightmare now , im so stressed out .. thank you

I signed a no cancellation document in Mexico and canceled the next day. It's not a legal document and is only used to keep you from canceling during the rescission period. Call your credit card company to dispute the fraudulent charge. Write a letter with anyone who signed the contract names on it and give it to the concierge to deliver to the sales manager. I would take a picture of this. Email the resort. Email gives a timestamp.

Bill

mmags777

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solmar
I signed a no cancellation document in Mexico and canceled the next day. It's not a legal document and is only used to keep you from canceling during the rescission period. Call your credit card company to dispute the fraudulent charge. Write a letter with anyone who signed the contract names on it and give it to the concierge to deliver to the sales manager. I would take a picture of this. Email the resort. Email gives a timestamp.

Bill
Thank you for the info.. i am back in the states now, i signed up on Sat 11th, i have five days i was thinking to overnight certify letter

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the info.. i am back in the states now, i signed up on Sat 11th, i have five days i was thinking to overnight certify letter

Yes. Also email for a timestamp. Be sure to contact your credit card.

Consider joining Tug and supporting the site as a member.

Bill