• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescinding (12 cancellations in 1 thread!)

TimeToRun

Reaction score
Help!
I am new to timeshares but thanks to all of the information here I am going to rescind my contract tomorrow, Tuesday, May 27th. We signed last Friday, May 25th and have 10 days to do so. I am not sure exactly what I need to send to them so I have made copies of all signed documents and plan on writing cancel on each page. I am going to send one set to the Las Vegas p.o. box and another set to the physical address to ensure it arrives and is received. I also plan on sending a set to National Harbor on Wednesday. Is this overkill?
Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
It isn't overkill if it makes you sleep better. However, look through your contract and follow the rescission instructions exactly. If you do that at a minimum you are good.

TimeToRun

Reaction score
All it says is that I must notify seller of my decision to cancel in writing within 10 days. With it being a holiday weekend I have been beside myself with anxiety and not getting much sleep as a result. I have read so many bad reviews online that I just want to end this as soon as possible. Thanks for the help!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Las Vegas PO sounds like Wyndham. The instructions should be directly above your signature and should be in bold type ,

It sounds like you found it, so just do what it says...There is no particular form or format, just write a letter saying you rescind, referencing your contract number and perhaps the date and place you signed, and send it to them. Your idea to enclose copies of what you signed is a good one.

taffy19

Reaction score
Help!
I am new to timeshares but thanks to all of the information here I am going to rescind my contract tomorrow, Tuesday, May 27th. We signed last Friday, May 25th and have 10 days to do so. I am not sure exactly what I need to send to them so I have made copies of all signed documents and plan on writing cancel on each page. I am going to send one set to the Las Vegas p.o. box and another set to the physical address to ensure it arrives and is received. I also plan on sending a set to National Harbor on Wednesday. Is this overkill?
If I were you, I would send at least one copy by certified mail so you'll have proof that it was mailed on time and received by them. It may be only the rescission letter without all the contract pages.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Important!

<snip> I have made copies of all signed documents and plan on writing cancel on each page. <snip>

Make sure that each and every person who signed the original purchase contract in the first place now also signs your contract rescission letter. The "letter" doesn't have to be elaborate; it can be just a single sentence clearly stating that you are cancelling the purchase, as is your right under applicable state law.

Just printing the word "cancel" on a few photocopied pages is legally insufficient; you must also provide actual signatures from all of the original signatories.
Without providing rescission letter signatures, just mailing back a few photocopies with the word "cancel" written upon them is legally inadequate --- at best.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

And just remember the other little tidbit of advice that's given here emphatically and repeatedly. Once you send in your letter, do not take any phone calls from (in this case) Nevada. It will likely be the salesperson or someone from the resort trying to persuade you to reverse your (very wise) decision to rescind. They might sweeten the deal but whatever "sugar" they add will not be worth anywhere near what you will pay.

And since the refunds or reversal on your credit card can take up to 45 days, do not go phoning the resort, head office, etc. wondering where your money is. Once you send in your letter, properly signed, and via the stipulated method, they are legally obligated to process your request.

TimeToRun

Reaction score
Thanks, everybody!
I went to the post office today and sent two sets of every signed page marked cancel, along with our rescission letter, to Las Vegas. I overnighted one to the p.o. box and another to the physical address. The post office guy told me to have a good day and I told him I would, now, and may even be able to sleep tonight. He got a good laugh over it. Lol
I definitely went over board with sending the letter like that but a part of me is paranoid about them not signing for it at the p.o. box, so I sent the other one for good measure.
We have already received three calls today from Wyndham "just checking up on you guys" and to "welcome you again to the family." We did not answer the calls, but did listen to the voice mails. I am sure they will not be too happy tomorrow once they get wind of our cancellation.
Thank goodness we didn't put any cash money down. We did finance the "deposit" through BillMeLater, however, and I put in our letter that we expected that to not be utilized/started as there was no need for a down payment after all. Does anyone know if I need to contact them separately?
This site has made me feel so much better and feel hope that we can end this potential nightmare. You provide a great service!!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness we didn't put any cash money down. We did finance the "deposit" through BillMeLater, however, and I put in our letter that we expected that to not be utilized/started as there was no need for a down payment after all. Does anyone know if I need to contact them separately?

You do not need to contact anyone later. Once your rescission request has been received, the process must start. All monies put down must be refunded to you including any down payment.

Again, no need to contact anyone.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody!
I went to the post office today and sent two sets of every signed page marked cancel, along with our rescission letter, to Las Vegas. I overnighted one to the p.o. box and another to the physical address. The post office guy told me to have a good day and I told him I would, now, and may even be able to sleep tonight. He got a good laugh over it. Lol
I definitely went over board with sending the letter like that but a part of me is paranoid about them not signing for it at the p.o. box, so I sent the other one for good measure.
We have already received three calls today from Wyndham "just checking up on you guys" and to "welcome you again to the family." We did not answer the calls, but did listen to the voice mails. I am sure they will not be too happy tomorrow once they get wind of our cancellation.
This site has made me feel so much better and feel hope that we can end this potential nightmare. You provide a great service!!
welcome to TUG, glad you found us in time. You've received some excellent advice so far and it sounds like you did all you are required to legally rescind.

I will add that Wyndham is a great timeshare system, just not at the price you paid. Now that you've found us, spend some time on the wyndham boards here as well learn about other timeshare systems. Then when you are good and ready, you can make an informed decision on whether to buy a timeshare for pennies on the dollar via the resale market (e.g. tug, redweek, ebay)

See you around the BBS!

505Richman

Reaction score
Well, thank you for all this information. Last weekend i bought a timeshare from BG after listening to all the talk and deals. Luckily, i found this website and have submitted my letter to rescind.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, thank you for all this information. Last weekend i bought a timeshare from BG after listening to all the talk and deals. Luckily, i found this website and have submitted my letter to rescind.

Good on ya! Welcome to TUG! Glad we could help, even before we knew you.

Jim

TimeToRun

Reaction score
Update:

I sent a copy of our signed contract and rescission letter to the physical address in Las Vegas by Priority Mail yesterday. It was signed for today at 9:08 a.m. Woot Woot!!
The copy I sent to the P.O. Box is still waiting to be picked up and signed for. So glad I did both! We signed the contract last Friday, May 23rd, and have 10 days to rescind the contract. I wasn't sure if they count the signing day as day 1 so I wanted to ensure they received a copy and knew our intention before Sunday, June 1st. Throw in the holiday weekend and I was super stressed. I sure hope this takes care of this. Then, as soon as it is, I will be reading how to have fun with a timeshare like the rest of you do. I like the concept of the whole thing, just not the tactics that Wyndham used and the lies we were told.

Have a great Thursday!!

Chrissi0103

Reaction score
We also signed ours last Friday at Bonnet Creek in Florida. We are rescinding ours also. So glad I found this website!

Update:

I sent a copy of our signed contract and rescission letter to the physical address in Las Vegas by Priority Mail yesterday. It was signed for today at 9:08 a.m. Woot Woot!!
The copy I sent to the P.O. Box is still waiting to be picked up and signed for. So glad I did both! We signed the contract last Friday, May 23rd, and have 10 days to rescind the contract. I wasn't sure if they count the signing day as day 1 so I wanted to ensure they received a copy and knew our intention before Sunday, June 1st. Throw in the holiday weekend and I was super stressed. I sure hope this takes care of this. Then, as soon as it is, I will be reading how to have fun with a timeshare like the rest of you do. I like the concept of the whole thing, just not the tactics that Wyndham used and the lies we were told.

Have a great Thursday!!

TimeToRun

Reaction score
We also signed ours last Friday at Bonnet Creek in Florida. We are rescinding ours also. So glad I found this website!
I know, right?
Now I am looking forward to researching timeshares, SLOWLY, AND THOROUGHLY. And also sleeping soundly again.:zzz:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Two rescission in one thread! can we get a 3rd? =)

Chrissi0103

Reaction score
Question...

LOL...I do have one question. Do I need to send everything back or just the letter referencing the contract number. My paper doesn't say much of anything except to send it to the po box and says nothing about express or certified mail. Although I do plan on doing certified for my peace of mind. My husband was bummed we are losing the perks card. lol

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL...I do have one question. Do I need to send everything back or just the letter referencing the contract number. My paper doesn't say much of anything except to send it to the po box and says nothing about express or certified mail. Although I do plan on doing certified for my peace of mind. My husband was bummed we are losing the perks card. lol

You might box up the 'extra' stuff and send it back- or not. Westgate charges $50 for not doing so. ymmv. Write in your rescission letter, 'Promotional Materials to be returned under separate cover'.

What's the 'perks card' for? Surely not worth the thou$and$ between a retail purchase and a resale one.

Jim

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Perks Card

What's the 'perks card' for? Surely not worth the thou$and$ between a retail purchase and a resale one.

Jim

Check out following web site!

https://www.perksbyclubwyndham.com/offers

Similar to groupon, dealchicken.com, Denver Post daily deals, coupons in Wednesday and Sunday paper, ad infinitum.

Cost $49.95 but of course free the first year.

TimeToRun

Reaction score
BillMeLater Deposit

Quick question...
We did NOT put down a cash deposit but they set us up with a BillMeLater account to use for it instead. We are in the process of selling our house so didn't have the cash at the moment.
Since we didn't put any cash down, we won't be receiving a cash refund. How will we know if the rescission went through? Day 10 is Sunday and I want to make sure I mail anything tomorrow that I need to.
Thanks again!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't get some kind of notification, assume the rescission is a done deal. They know they can't monkey around with these, as the law is on your side. You have the proof that the letter was mailed and that's all it takes.

They are required to honor the rescission. They are NOT required to keep you informed.

Rest well. If it was Wastegate, I'd have concerns, but Wyn is far more honorable.

Jim

TimeToRun

Reaction score
If you don't get some kind of notification, assume the rescission is a done deal. They know they can't monkey around with these, as the law is on your side. You have the proof that the letter was mailed and that's all it takes.

They are required to honor the rescission. They are NOT required to keep you informed.

Rest well. If it was Wastegate, I'd have concerns, but Wyn is far more honorable.

Jim
Thanks, Jim!
If everybody that has helped us lived nearby, we'd invite ya'll over for a drink! I'm really looking forward to researching TS this summer :)