• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescinding (12 cancellations in 1 thread!)

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
$6 million dollars saved!! Fabulous! I hope we keep the tally rolling. This thread should be read by all newbies, but of course there are many others similar to this.

Does TUG keep an actual number of dollars saved? If not, perhaps we can ask the successful rescinders to tell us what they did save by not purchasing through developers.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
$6 million dollars saved!! Fabulous! I hope we keep the tally rolling. This thread should be read by all newbies, but of course there are many others similar to this.

Does TUG keep an actual number of dollars saved? If not, perhaps we can ask the successful rescinders to tell us what they did save by not purchasing through developers.

Sometimes the number is volunteered, but after TUGBrian started totaling it up, we've been asking folks who rescind what we saved them.

Pretty nice number, no?

Reaction score
I sent rescission letter

My question is what if they come back saying you entered typos and wrong address of developer so this Rescission letter is invalid

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ive never heard of one voiding a rescission letter due to typos...well assuming the typos werent like "your entire first and last name" or something important like that.

I can see something coming about if you mailed the letter to some other address though.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is what if they come back saying you entered typos and wrong address of developer so this Rescission letter is invalid

If you follow the instructions in your contract packet exactly, and both people who signed the contract sign the rescission letter, it's valid. I believe your 'what if' is purely speculation. Even Wastegate, sleazy as they are, knows the intention of a rescission letter and wouldn't DARE challenge it on that shaky a technicality. Well, maybe those slime balls would try.

As to typos, heck, it can be handwritten. And as for the address, I'm sure that you sent it to at least one of their corporate addresses. The correct one has been posted in several of the Wastegate rescission threads here in TUG. Here it is anyway:

Westgate LTD
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd
Ocoee Florida 34761

You'll know they got the letter when some 'save the sale' guy calls (don't answer) and tries to sweeten the deal or tells you your reason isn't good enough. They do that to try to delay you beyond the cooling-off period. Best to not answer.

Keep us informed how it goes.

Jim

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not enough information...

Rescission rights and instructions must be provided to a buyer upon contract execution with a developer. That rescission information should include the address to which to send any cancellation correspondence and clearly identify the available rescission period provided by applicable state law.

No developer could ever possibly get away with failing to process a timely submitted letter of rescission due to minor, inconsequential typographical errors.
However, if a cancellation is sent to an entirely incorrect address (contrary to the specific address instructions provided with the contract), well......I dunno. :shrug:

Last edited:

luvtravellin

Reaction score
Success in Westgate cancellation!

I just wanna thank everyone for all your help. Two days ago I received the confirmed cancellation letter from Westgate! I got it approximately 14 days after I mailed my rescission letter. Full refund since I also returned the package binder. Im so relieved! Again thanks all for your guidance. This place is truly a gem!
Eve

QBrew

Reaction score
Found TUG just in time....

Well, my wife and I fell for the Wyndham pitch in Panama City Beach this week. We signed the papers on June 30th and I started doing research to see what we bought. My research brought me to TUG and I'm thankful to everyone for the sound advice offered on the site. We have drafted/signed our rescission letter and will be mailing it (certified) today (July 3). I'm hoping the holiday weekend won't disrupt things for us. I did not include a copy of the first page of the contract, but I did reference our contract number and we both signed the letter; will that be a problem?

Assuming this goes through we will have saved ourselves >$22K! Let the research begin...

Thanks again!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
KaChing! $22K more!

Well, my wife and I fell for the Wyndham pitch in Panama City Beach this week. We signed the papers on June 30th and I started doing research to see what we bought. My research brought me to TUG and I'm thankful to everyone for the sound advice offered on the site. We have drafted/signed our rescission letter and will be mailing it (certified) today (July 3). I'm hoping the holiday weekend won't disrupt things for us. I did not include a copy of the first page of the contract, but I did reference our contract number and we both signed the letter; will that be a problem?

Assuming this goes through we will have saved ourselves >$22K! Let the research begin...

Thanks again!

Welcome to TUG. As long as you have your rescission letter postmarked today, you will be fine, the contract will be cancelled and your down payment will be refunded.

Best to stay off the phone if some 'save-the-sale' guy calls.

Do some research, learn about the industry, find a nice resale that suits your needs for 10-20% of the retail cost, and vacation happy. We always suggest renting a time or two (or even permanently) before buying. It's probably too late this year to buy a deeded TS, get it transferred, join an exchange and make a reservation for this year anyway, so let the time work in your favor.

Again, Welcome!

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
8@77k in one thread! amazing!

QBrew

Reaction score
Well, our certified letters were signed for on Monday July 7 and Tuesday July 8; we sent two rescission letters. We have not heard anything from anyone, but we just upgraded our Cable/Phone modem and the phones are down this week; that might be a blessing in disguise. I did request written verification of our rescission, but I would have expected to hear something from Wyndham via phone or email.

We were so excited when we signed the papers to purchase the timeshare that we sent our sales agent an email asking a few other questions and to say thank you; he never responded to our email. That's really what got me concerned that we had made a mistake.

I guess time will tell if our rescission went through....

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, our certified letters were signed for on Monday July 7 and Tuesday July 8; we sent two rescission letters. We have not heard anything from anyone, but we just upgraded our Cable/Phone modem and the phones are down this week; that might be a blessing in disguise. I did request written verification of our rescission, but I would have expected to hear something from Wyndham via phone or email.

We were so excited when we signed the papers to purchase the timeshare that we sent our sales agent an email asking a few other questions and to say thank you; he never responded to our email. That's really what got me concerned that we had made a mistake.

A developer is obligated by law to process your contract rescission, timely postmarked (10 days in FL) and sent to the correct place. It's not an "option" or a "choice" or a "decision" for the developer --- it's the law. Yes, it will "go through".

The developer is not obligated to contact you, or to update you, or to otherwise confirm your rescission to / with you. Their only obligation is to process a properly submitted rescission and issue a full refund of your deposit (which could, in a worst case scenario, take up to 45 days to receive back, although that long is unlikley).

Well done. Good job. Expensive bullet dodged.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were so excited when we signed the papers to purchase the timeshare that we sent our sales agent an email asking a few other questions and to say thank you; he never responded to our email. That's really what got me concerned that we had made a mistake.....

I can almost guarantee that you will hear from this salesman once he sees your rescission letter. He, or some other sales agent there, will phone you trying to get you to reverse your decision to rescind. He might even sweeten the offer.

This is where we tell people who have sent in their rescission request to not take any phone calls from Florida or wherever because it will likely be that dreaded sales person. There is no benefit to you whatsoever to talk to anyone from the resort (or resort company). Your letter was sent as per the rescission instructions. That's all you need to do. You do not have to answer any questions or explain why you are rescinding.

TimeToRun

Reaction score
Asking for acknowledgment letter

We, too, asked for a letter acknowledging that our timeshare contract for Wyndham National Harbor was null and void after sending our rescission letters. To my surprise we did receive a letter stating that they were sorry to see us go. Yeah, right, I bet they were! Hahaha :hysterical:
This site has been invaluable to us. And I'm glad my original post has helped 7 other families jump on the TUG wagon!

advocoach

TUG Member
Reaction score
We found this site while doing research on Wyndham aftrr we went to a presentation last year and thought the price sounded way high for points. Thankfully we didn't fall for it.
We wasn't so lucky this year.
We went to a Summer Winds presentation in Branson and was impressed with the system and not worrying about points or colored weeks plus unlimited weeks through II. We put down a down payment and off we went. The next day I received an email from TUG stating my membership was almost up. I had totally forgotten about the site.
I jumped on and thankfully found out our 'deal' wasn't a 'deal' after all.
Thanks to you guys we are mailing our cancellation letter in the morning and saving us $10,600!!
Thank you so much!!

Onehotbike

Reaction score
Another 10 grand saved thanks TUG WITH SIX KIDS EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS and a penny saved is penny earned I saved a lot of pennies this week

Last edited:

Onehotbike

Reaction score
TUGBRIAN THAT MAKES 9 saves in one thread thanks from the Kennys

:cheer::hysterical::D;):rolleyes::zzz::):eek::cool:Thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks and a million more thanks :banana::banana

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love this thread :cheer:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what spin the salesperson tried to put on this potential buyer with six kids. eg. "You want your six kids to grow up loving you, don't you?" :hysterical:

and it isn't getting a three bedroom or sleep 8 exchange either.

WifeAggro

Reaction score
Add Another

Add another to the tally. WestGate got us in Gatlinburg last week. My wife was sick after signing everything and couldn't sleep at all that evening (mid vacation). Googling for all of 10 seconds brought me to this wonderful forum where I read multiple rescission posts for WestGate/Tn (10 day window). Our certified letter will be mailed out tomorrow. You guys are awesome. Thank you for the information! Savings = 6k. I thought we got a pretty decent rate on a foreclosure until I checked it out after we signed everything. Of course we didn't have cell service or wifi in the area of the sales pitch.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gawd i love this thread!!! I haven't tallied it, but we have to be around $150,000 saved by folks in this thread alone! Wonderful!

And I'd bet some others rescinded and didn't do anything but lurk to get the info.

Jim

Last edited:

QBrew

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that you will hear from this salesman once he sees your rescission letter. He, or some other sales agent there, will phone you trying to get you to reverse your decision to rescind. He might even sweeten the offer.

This is where we tell people who have sent in their rescission request to not take any phone calls from Florida or wherever because it will likely be that dreaded sales person. There is no benefit to you whatsoever to talk to anyone from the resort (or resort company). Your letter was sent as per the rescission instructions. That's all you need to do. You do not have to answer any questions or explain why you are rescinding.

We still have not heard from anyone at Wyndham in regards to our rescission letter. We sent a letter to both of the addresses referenced in the rescission paperwork included with all of the contractual material. Both letters were signed for a week ago. Should I be concerned? We used the sample letter provided in the rescission section on TUG; we included the contract number which was included on EVERY page of the contract. We did not have our letter notarized before sending it; I'm not sure we need to do that though. We (my wife and I) both signed the letter and included our names just like they were written in their contract. I would sleep a little more sound if they would have made some attempt at contact with us. Hopefully, I'll receive written confirmation of our rescission as I've requested.

Dripps

TUG Member
Reaction score
Successful rescission

I was able to rescind our purchase at Kings Land and couldn't be happier. I was not contacted by salesperson or her manager at all. I didn't receive any confirmation from HGVC but within a couple days saw credit on my credit card account for the exact amount we left. I guess that's confirmation enough! :banana: I'm still kindda shocked nobody at HGVC tried to rescue the sale.