• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescinded my newly bought WELKS Timeshare

yordgreat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Hello,

We recently went a second time to Welks Northstar Lake Tahoe last Sunday-Wed and decided to attend a presentation not only for the free stuff but I was also genuinely curious as to how I can save money buy "investing" on a timeshare. I recently decided that it's time I spend a little more time with my family now that my schedule permits it and I have some extra money to spend on yearly vacations. The salesperson was very cordial and accommodating with the occasional double teaming from the other veteran salesmen around. So, they quoted us for the 120K points for a total of 21K 1 week/yr 1bedroom villa with the option for an exchange for a bonus week and MF's of around 1287/yr. I decided to put up 50% dp with the balance payable at 0% for 1 year because I did not want to pay the very high interest rates for 10 yrs. I initially thought that 20k is not that bad to invest on making memories with my family thinking that I would be able to book easily even on peak months like Dec-Jan with an option to stay on the nearby hotels like Ritz or One Village Place to take advantage of the free bonus week. I was not able to do research the days following my purchase because internet and 5G was pretty bad at Yosemite so I was only able to do some browsing last weekend then finally talked to a co-worker of mine who also has a Welk Escondido timeshare from 10 yrs ago for about 300K points I think. She was not very enthusiastic about my purchase and mentioned that she barely even uses the bonus week due to its restrictions and the difficulty of booking your desired vacation dates even though you're supposed to be an "owner". The other thing that also kept nagging me was the MF's for the life of my ownership which from what I've read on the net will continue to increase. So, last night on the 6th day of signing the contract I faxed them a cancellation letter which I will also send via registered mail today which is the 7th day and I'm hoping they will still honor it if not, then I will just try to make this purchase work which I think is still a good thing. I just wished I did due diligence like checking out this very helpful website before I jumped to this purchase. If indeed I am able to get out of it, I am really interested in exploring the resale market and exploring the details on going that route of purchasing a timeshare. Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Wingo99

Reaction score
As long as it's postmarked within the 7 calendar days California allows they will have to honor the recission letter. Congrats on getting out of it, and now with the freedom to explore the resale market for pennies on the dollar.
The sales folks are slick operators, I got sucked into signing one a year ago and thankfully rescinded successfully.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
If a SO also signed the TS contact, make sure your SO also signs the rescission letter. Keep copies of all written and faxed communication. Welk can be moving for $1k to $3k resale.

yordgreat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Yes, I did my research and followed what the others have done in this forum to rescind the contract. I sent everything today so we'll see if I even get a reply or a call. Thanks a lot!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You can buy Welk points on ebay, super cheap.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Or get them free on TUG in the bargain bin forum:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Yes, I did my research and followed what the others have done in this forum to rescind the contract. I sent everything today so we'll see if I even get a reply or a call. Thanks a lot!

If you do get a call, it won't be to confirm your rescission. It will be from sales and you don't need to say anything to (or hear from) sales. You just cancelled some of his boat and mortgage payments and he is not pleased.

yordgreat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
What are the chances nowadays of Welks actually exercising their ROFR and me not able to push through with my planned resale purchase? Thanks

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the chances nowadays of Welks actually exercising their ROFR and me not able to push through with my planned resale purchase? Thanks

If that happens, you've lost $0 instead of what you initially were going to pay through Welk. Well, maybe a couple notary fees. If you get ROFR'd, you get back in the saddle aand try again until you pass.

yordgreat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
If that happens, you've lost $0 instead of what you initially were going to pay through Welk. Well, maybe a couple notary fees. If you get ROFR'd, you get back in the saddle aand try again until you pass.

Thank you Sir!

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Congratulations on saving a boatload of money!

If you do want to buy at Welk, I have a recommendation for a highly reputable broker, CalResorts.com. Here are the current listing for Platinum Points: http://www.calresorts.com/Welk-Resorts-Mountain-Villas.html . While the URL says "Mountain-Villas," these Platinum Points allow you to book at any of the Welk properties. So figure out how many points you want based on the location you like best and the size of room you will be booking, then buy that many points.

While it is true that you can pick up Welk Platinum Points for $1 on eBay, Welk is known to regularly exercise its Right of First Refusal. CalResorts.com is quite adept at setting prices that do not trigger the ROFR.

Best of luck as you enter into the timeshare world. We love our Platinum Points!

yordgreat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Congratulations on saving a boatload of money!

If you do want to buy at Welk, I have a recommendation for a highly reputable broker, CalResorts.com. Here are the current listing for Platinum Points: http://www.calresorts.com/Welk-Resorts-Mountain-Villas.html . While the URL says "Mountain-Villas," these Platinum Points allow you to book at any of the Welk properties. So figure out how many points you want based on the location you like best and the size of room you will be booking, then buy that many points.

While it is true that you can pick up Welk Platinum Points for $1 on eBay, Welk is known to regularly exercise its Right of First Refusal. CalResorts.com is quite adept at setting prices that do not trigger the ROFR.

Best of luck as you enter into the timeshare world. We love our Platinum Points!

Will definitely check it out. I already have a couple of 300k points I'm interested at, just waiting for my deposit to be refunded. Thank you!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on saving a fortune!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you Sir! I have been telling people at work about this website to help them understand the details of possibly owning a timeshare.
sharing the knowledge on TUG is absolutely the best way to celebrate saving so much!

helping owners dodge a bullet that was in many cases NOT avoided by other TUG members is one of the most rewarding things we read on these forums day in and day out!

yordgreat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Update: They want me to call their office tomorrow because they have some questions regarding my cancellation. Any thoughts?

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
Do. Not. Call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score