• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescind or not?

Kime123

Reaction score
Like many...I got talked into a timeshare with HGVC. I was vaguely familiar with some time share stuff and determined to say no. After about an hour of saying no and them coming back with more, we said yes. Ended up purchasing Elara 3400pts EOY (we are huge vacationers, so didn't want tied in more points than we could use). Purchased for $11k and guy gave us 10,000 pts we could use for 4 years. I liked that we could change points to use with regular hilton hotels(is that worth it). And they said we could purchase 7 day hotel stays for like $350 (or 1 or 3 day stays for cheap prices) (perk of buying "with them"). So first...does this "perk" make purchasing through them worth it? Should I rescind and buy resale? Are there ANY perks that make purchasing through them "worth it". The guy made it seen like you can use this perk to make money by selling these stays to others. I was determined to leave empty handed but they would not stop. Again I like alot of things about this program, but not sure if the "buy through them perks" are worth the price tag.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely rescind. Hilton, to me, is a great system but you are much better off buying resale. The perk of 10,000 points are a one time use. The other perks you stated you also get resale.
The salesman is way off if he stated 7 day hotel stay for 350. Those were open season prices a long time ago.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You have one opportunity to rescind. You have a lifetime to buy again either resale or developer.

Kime123

Reaction score
So are there ANY perks/benefits to purchasing from HGVC sales people? It sounds like not really.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So are there ANY perks/benefits to purchasing from HGVC sales people? It sounds like not really.

Salesman gets a perk, it is called commission. You get potential Elite, and honestly only Elite Premier is worth it, but at purchasing 34,000 points from HGVC directly, though would take multiple lifetimes to recover the perks you get.

So imagine buying 20X what you bought from the developer, to waive a $67 club reservation fee or a $108 transaction fee (save points etc), 30% off open season, and complimentary upgrades if they are available at checkin, and Diamond Status. For the pleasure of purchasing $150,000 - 200,000.

Better way to get perks is buy buying Scotland resale from the HGVC direct office, provided HGVC does not shut down that method to Elite.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only perk is elite status at 14000 developer purchased points. Most will say it’s not worth it.

I have regular Elite, backdoor resale purchase from HGVC and I still do not think Elite is worth it.

The one true perk I do use is booking 7 nights stays for NO Charge. That allows me to book and cancel easily, while I am still deciding what to do.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have been on these boards since last summer, and I have yet to see someone who doesn’t have an on-line advanced degree in HGVC make an impulse purchase from a sales pitch and the result of one of these discussions be that the direct purchase made sense.

I studied for months before buying resale, and have never for a second wished I had bought retail. I did make a minor mistake, but mine is not going to cost me thousands of dollars. I don’t vacation a lot (4 person young family), but I wish my first purchase would have been at least 7k points at a great MF per point ratio rather than 4,800 points at a so-so Vegas platinum ratio.

You should rescind ASAP, and postage is really all you’ve lost. The deal you got is always there, but you are not going to decide to take it. Welcome to TUG. The group think on this board is pretty good, and there is not an alternative board where people have come to different conclusions.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
While I might be wrong, since I am not an expert, but the HGVC website is very clear Bonus Points are for two years, not 4. You will have some points to use that you are paying MF on at the same time.

In any case, rescind, rescind, rescind.

Bonus Points
From time to time, we offer our Members Bonus Points that are valid for two years. You have several options for using Bonus Points.

• Make reservations during the Home Resort and Club Reservation windows at Hilton Grand Vacations and/or affiliated resorts.
  • Redeem them for ClubPartner Perks, such as cruises and other travel partner options.
  • Make RCI Exchange reservations.
  • Credit them toward any current maintenance fees you owe.
  • Convert them to Hilton Honors points.
  • Redeem them for other Member options such as shopping certificates.

Note that it can take up to 6 months to receive your bonus points.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FYI you dont need to buy from the developer to get free reservations. Buy a NYC W57 resale with all inclusive in the deed for unlimited reservations per year for $120/ year. We love being able to make spec reservations without having to worry about a res. fee. Of course you will want to regularly visit NYC to get ROI on the resale...but will spend tens of thousands less than developer.

Elite Premier 34k pts perks at resale prices for 3750 or 5250 points. I believe this also works for HCNY and NYC Residences but will let those owners confirm.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Rescind and Research

Glad you found us. Give yourself time to make an informed decision.
Here are some resale “asking” prices for 3400pts at Elara (see screen capture below). If you decide to sell even a week later, you’ll basically have to give it away for close to nothing.

NOTE: HGVC weeks with low points are simply given away for free on TUG’s Bargain Deals Forum.
Good Luck and Welcome to TUG :hi:

2E17C50B-E7F8-40DE-9A6D-F4976EC8B277.png

B6A97075-0B3A-4BB9-9999-4B91CE8BE07C.png

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In case its not yet clear: You've been hornswoggled.
For what you've agreed to pay, you could get 7,000 pts, every year. Resale owners get eggsactly the same perks as retail owners, except only elite status (not worth paying retail for) and bonus pts. Those bonus points will disappear quickly and you'll be stuck with a TS for which you paid too much and cannot unload.

RESCIND. Follow the instructions in the contract eggsactly as written.
Do not answer calls from the Sales Office. They do not process rescissions.
HGVC, outside of sales, is a good system, customer friendly and honorable.

BTW, converting HGVC points to HHonors points (what happens when you book hotels), is a notoriously poor use of points. You lose 3N in a HGVC resort studio to get 1N in a Hampton Inn, or thereabouts.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Like many...I got talked into a timeshare with HGVC. I was vaguely familiar with some time share stuff and determined to say no. After about an hour of saying no and them coming back with more, we said yes. Ended up purchasing Elara 3400pts EOY (we are huge vacationers, so didn't want tied in more points than we could use). Purchased for $11k and guy gave us 10,000 pts we could use for 4 years. I liked that we could change points to use with regular hilton hotels(is that worth it). And they said we could purchase 7 day hotel stays for like $350 (or 1 or 3 day stays for cheap prices) (perk of buying "with them"). So first...does this "perk" make purchasing through them worth it? Should I rescind and buy resale? Are there ANY perks that make purchasing through them "worth it". The guy made it seen like you can use this perk to make money by selling these stays to others. I was determined to leave empty handed but they would not stop. Again I like alot of things about this program, but not sure if the "buy through them perks" are worth the price tag.
Hi, welcome to Tug. It’s great you found us in time to rescind. Hgvc is a wonderful system. I own many weeks and have purchased all resale, some for free, others for many more many more points then you got for much less money. I hope you stick around and learn what will be best for you.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
FYI you dont need to buy from the developer to get free reservations. Buy a NYC W57 resale with all inclusive in the deed for unlimited reservations per year for $120/ year. We love being able to make spec reservations without having to worry about a res. fee. Of course you will want to regularly visit NYC to get ROI on the resale...but will spend tens of thousands less than developer.

Does the unlimited reservations for $120/ year mean all reservation you make there including ones using HGVC points that are not in your bHC bucket? Just curious.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I agree with the advice you have already been given:

• @tombanjo is correct. Bonus points are only good for two years from the time that you purchased and will take 6 months to show up into your account unless you pay off the TS.
  • It usually is a poor use of points (get less value) to convert HGVC points to Hilton Honors points.
  • they said we could purchase 7 day hotel stays for like $350 (or 1 or 3 day stays for cheap prices)
    I don't know what the salesperson is talking about. Lets just say, if you purchased resale, you will get all the same benefits.
  • If you don't purchase from HGVC direct, then your purchase will not count towards elite status. Elite status is not worth the price that you pay in order to achieve that level. If you really want elite status levels, then we can show you how to purchase much cheaper via HGVC resales as @Sandy VDH already stated.
  • You probably also were sold a very poor value TS with low number of points and high MF (maintenance fees) for the number of points that you will be getting. This alone, I would recommend rescinding.
So I also recommend rescinding now while you can. This will give you the opportunity to research further. If you want to buy direct later, I am sure that the salesperson will sell you the same deal anyways.

Kime123

Reaction score
Definitely rescind. Hilton, to me, is a great system but you are much better off buying resale. The perk of 10,000 points are a one time use. The other perks you stated you also get resale.
The salesman is way off if he stated 7 day hotel stay for 350. Those were open season prices a long time ago.

Added what the sales guy talked about for cash prices. He said you can buy "certificates" for 7 nights for...studio $269, 1bd $294, 2bd $319. And said you can gift these to others. Said this was a "perk" for buying with them only.

Attachments

• 20190310_222702.jpg
    20190310_222702.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 683
Reaction score
geeze.....this is the second time this week someone posted about the same purchase

But the answer is the same.....rescind

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Added what the sales guy talked about for cash prices. He said you can buy "certificates" for 7 nights for...studio $269, 1bd $294, 2bd $319. And said you can gift these to others. Said this was a "perk" for buying with them only.

Well you will get the same "perks" when you buy resale. But unfortunately, both resale and developer purchase don't get that great OS (open season) rates anymore that you were quoted. The OS rates increased dramatically a few years ago at all resorts so each one has different rates. I am not that familiar with RCI so I can not speak to what you were quoted, but the RCI rates for resale and direct purchase are the same.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Thanks for sharing that attachment. It will helps us with others who are faced with the same decision whether to rescind or keep. :thumbup:

Open Season Rates for HGVC resorts (available to all owners)
Every year, HGVC publishes their OPEN SEASON Rates which are subject to change. These are cash rental rates for HGVC resorts only (not Hilton hotels).
2019 Open Season Rates - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/2019-hgv-points-open-chart-pdf.9813/

For example, here are the current HGVC point requirements and open season nightly rates for
- HGVC Elara in Las Vegas
- HGVC SeaWorld in Orlando
- HGVC South Beach in Miami
NOTE: Open Season Rates doesn’t include taxes.

1B3E2653-2569-4AEA-BE87-2F2C1234CA74.png

B06C1F19-7761-4C3A-B1C5-F19F332A77EF.png

F1282E2B-C2B1-4EF6-9ADE-ECC7C737E3BB.png

Here are the increase I observed over the years of ownership. We started with a very simple flat rate based on unit size only. It has morphed into all sort of increases based on unit type (standard, plus, premium, etc), day of week (weekday vs weekend), season (platinum, etc) and now locations.

13043211994_c8c27a8a72_o.jpg

RCI Last Call (available to all owners)
These weeks are normally the leftovers (the lowest demand weeks). You generally won’t find a top resort or a high demand week under Last Call. For example, you’ll won’t find ski resort during ski season or beach resorts during the summer. You can find last call in overbuilt timeshare areas such as Orlando and Las Vegas.

Here’s what folks have to say about RCI’s Last Call:

Here’s what I currently see in Las Vegas and Orlando via RCI’s Last Call.

44004137-EB61-47D6-A0CD-6757F968392A.png

A08E910E-F68D-4EBD-A6E7-000ABE604363.png

42C9768D-AF62-43D4-89A6-496FF3D4874C.png

Last edited:

Kime123

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that attachment. It will helps us with others who are faced with the same decision whether to rescind or keep. :thumbup:

Open Season Rates for HGVC resorts (available to all owners)
Every year, HGVC publishes their OPEN SEASON Rates which are subject to change. These are cash rental rates for HGVC resorts only (not Hilton hotels).
2019 Open Season Rates - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/2019-hgv-points-open-chart-pdf.9813/

For example, here are the current HGVC point requirements and open season nightly rates for
- HGVC Elara in Las Vegas
- HGVC SeaWorld in Orlando
- HGVC South Beach in Miami
NOTE: Open Season Rates doesn’t include taxes.

View attachment 10787

View attachment 10781

View attachment 10783

Here are the increase I observed over the years of ownership. We started with a very simple flat rate based on unit size only. It has morphed into all sort of increases based on unit type (standard, plus, premium, etc), day of week (weekday vs weekend), season (platinum, etc) and now locations.

13043211994_c8c27a8a72_o.jpg

RCI Last Call (available to all owners)
These weeks are normally the leftovers (the lowest demand weeks). You generally won’t find a top resort or a high demand week under Last Call. For example, you’ll won’t find ski resort during ski season or beach resorts during the summer. You can find last call in overbuilt timeshare areas such as Orlando and Las Vegas.

Here’s what folks have to say about RCI’s Last Call:

Here’s what I currently see in Las Vegas and Orlando via RCI’s Last Call.

View attachment 10784

View attachment 10785

View attachment 10786
This was extremely helpful to explain this..."BS" the salesguy sold my husband on. Thank you so much!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Elite Premier 34k pts perks at resale prices for 3750 or 5250 points. I believe this also works for HCNY and NYC Residences but will let those owners confirm.

This is one of the fabulous perks of W. 57th (and possible a bHC overall thing). Unlimited free reservations/cancellations for $120 (I thought it was $129, but the difference is minuscule :)).

But, yes, as @CalGalTraveler says, you do have to want to visit NYC to make this worth it.

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The volume of misinformation from this TS weasel is impressive.
But hardly surprising. After all, as the expression goes...
"How do you know a TS salesman is lying... His lips are moving."

Pity the poor soul who discovers too late that not all that glitters is gold.