• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescind in Chicago

inad316

Reaction score
I came from a presentation today and I thought it was a good deal until I went home and did some math. I travel cheaply by finding deals. I don't want this at all and even saw it's cheaper buying it at resale. I also misread the Assessment fee as yearly and not Monthly. I am not going to pay another $1200 yearly for the rest of my life.

The contract says "In the event Owner cancels this Contract during the 10 day cancellation period, Seller will refund to Owner all payments made under this Agreement. etc"
After some googling I found this forum.
It doesn't say it has to be in writing. They also gave me a tablet which I don't need. Can I rescind the contract in person? I prefer to go downtown and drop all of it off. I feel safer getting it canceled in my face.
Or should I do it my mail? Do you recommend this? If by mail, what forms or papers do I need to fill out and where do I mail it. Pretty much, if you can help me with this as I have no idea how to do this and need a step by step, hence why I feel more confident in person.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind today and save. It must be in writing. Mail it certified so you have a paper trail. Keep the tablet until they ask for it, which they never do. If they call to talk you out of rescinding hang up. If they call peroid, hang up.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
What everyone else said. You need proof that you followed the instructions in your contract - and certified mail is the best proof available. Going in person will not expedite the refund, and actually might result in someone misleading you into not following the instructions in your contract.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Congratulations on finding TUG and welcome. You've been given good advice above. Be sure everyone who signed the contract also signs the rescission letter. Send your letter by certified mail so that you have a receipt from the post office showing that you rescinded within the specified time period for your location. Then, relax! Spend some more time here and see if owning a timeshare is right for you. Check out the resale market before you purchase anything.

inad316

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I am looking at the contract and I can only see the part I quoted. Does not give me any instructions on how to do it. Is it ok to send a picture of the contract? I don't want to mess this up.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to the link that Luanne posted above. It will show you how to write a basic rescission letter. It does not need to be fancy. You do not have to supply any reasons. Just make sure you send it certified mail and ask for a receipt to show when the postmark day was.

Your contract should give you instructions. That's required by law. But even if it doesn't, the above-mentioned link will.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thank you everyone. I am looking at the contract and I can only see the part I quoted. Does not give me any instructions on how to do it. Is it ok to send a picture of the contract? I don't want to mess this up.
Did you click on the link in my earlier email? It gives you pretty much step by step instructions, including a sample letter.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to put it in writing. Short simple letter. Reference the contract number and any other identifying numbers on the paperwork. You can also send them a copy of the contract. Don't send it to Chicago, it need to be sent to Florida.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I think if you just say something like this you'll be fine:

This letter serves as notification that I am exercising my legal right to rescind the contract dated March 30, 2019, at (location
of the resort) for (whatever unit or week or whatever it is you bought). I expect all money I've paid to be refunded immediately.

Sincerely,
(signatures of everyone who signed the purchase agreement)

If it makes you feel better, include a picture of the contract or anything else you deem pertinent to the purchase. But, it's really
a pretty simple process. Somewhere on your contract or hidden in some obsure document on the tablet should be the address
of the office where your letter should be sent.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet the sales weasels just hate it that we give help and detailed instructions on how to rescind a purchase. I'm sure many of them read these posts.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, send a photocopy of the signature page of the contract for ID purposes. All who signed the contract must sign the rescission letter. The letter needn't be legalese, just clearly state that you wish to exercise your right of rescission.
As said above, mail it USPS Certified to the Las Vegas address in the contract. Then you can breathe a deep breath of relief.
I might take some time for the refund to be credited to your charge card, but they are bound by law to process the rescission.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

inad316

Reaction score
UPDATE: So I sent the letter Certified mail on April 2nd. I have a question on the time limit. The contract says its 10 days per Florida Statues. I signed the contract in Chicago and Illinois has a 3 BUSINESSES day law http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/3dayright.html

It really doesn't effect me since I did it on the 3rd day, but what is the rule. What is in the contract (10 consecutive days) or the state you signed the paper work (3 BUSINESSES days)?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
UPDATE: So I sent the letter Certified mail on April 2nd. I have a question on the time limit. The contract says its 10 days per Florida Statues. I signed the contract in Chicago and Illinois has a 3 BUSINESSES day law http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/3dayright.html

It really doesn't effect me since I did it on the 3rd day, but what is the rule. What is in the contract (10 consecutive days) or the state you signed the paper work (3 BUSINESSES days)?

The state you SIGNED the contract in determine which laws cover your right to rescind. And it varies if it is calendar days, or business days. Calendar days is the most common.

So good job on hitting the 3 day deadline, as they could have refused your recession if it was posted after that date.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

Actually, the link you provided is not for timeshare rescission. That only applies to door-to-door sales, Campground memberships, fitness center memberships, and buying club memberships. Illinois is 5 calendar days after signing the contract or receiving the public offering statement.

inad316

Reaction score
Completed. Saved me $23,374 ($28k with interest). I honestly never buy anything rushed. Mad at my self for getting suckered in after saying no, lesson learned. They teamed me up with someone "urban" that spoke slang so I can relate to them. They are pretty good at pretending to be your friends and care. Made it seem you can make money selling Last Calls and this can be resold while holding a little less of its value. For two weeks I have never heard from the sales guy nor his manager. (154k points + 246k bonus + 2 rci weeks)

Thanks to all who helped! I really do appreciate it, would have been screwed without you.

Timeline

• Signed March 30th
  • Sent letter Apr 2nd via USPS certified mail to the PO BOX
  • Received Apr 5th
  • Called Visa Apr 13th to reverse the charge. They passed it to their timeshare division. Visa has a timeshare division, who knew lol. Even though I know I didn't mess up the rescind, I didn't want Wyndham dragging and this hitting my credit since I maxed out my limit.
  • Apr 15th got an email (Your Rescission Confirmation Letter from Wyndham Vacation Resorts) A link to www.expressoprod.com to access your letter. Input your email and contract number. Link deletes in 2 weeks.

4/15/2019
Re: Contract Number XYZ Member Number XYZ

Dear WeDidntFoolYou, We have completed your request to rescind the above-referenced contract. We regret that you have decided not to purchase with Wyndham Vacation Resorts at this time. Any payments made have been refunded in the same manner in which they were paid. Should you require further assistance, please contact us at 1-888-739-4016, Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-8 p.m., Sat-Sun 9 a.m.-6 p.m. ET Sincerely, Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc.

• Refund transaction date Apr 15th. Posted date Apr 16th
  • Got drunk in celebration Apr 16th
  • Have a useless tablet I will give to my old dad unless they ask for it.

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Completed. Saved me $23,374 ($28k with interest). I honestly never buy anything rushed. Mad at my self for getting suckered in after saying no, lesson learned.
With $23K to $28K you can buy yourself a nice new Harley and some firearms.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Completed. Saved me $23,374 ($28k with interest). I honestly never buy anything rushed. Mad at my self for getting suckered in after saying no, lesson learned. They teamed me up with someone "urban" that spoke slang so I can relate to them.

Dont beat yourself up. It is a scientifically design sales process designed to secure that outcome. They are trained to identify your "sell buttons" and push them until you buy.

Instead congratulate yourself on snapping out of it and finding TUG. Unfortunately far too many don't.......

Last edited:

Mr.Lucas

Reaction score
Team,

Although, I purchased in Orlando while taking my kids to Universal Studios. My wife and I have 10 days to rescind (April 20th) being the last day; we will be sure to send our letters out tomorrow and try to purchase resale (if they allow).

Thanks for all the valuable information on this thread.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They have no way to keep you from buying resale.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Team,

Although, I purchased in Orlando while taking my kids to Universal Studios. My wife and I have 10 days to rescind (April 20th) being the last day; we will be sure to send our letters out tomorrow and try to purchase resale (if they allow).

Thanks for all the valuable information on this thread.
Make sure it gets postmarked by the 20th (today) otherwise it'll be too late. Certified mail is better so you'll have proof Wyndham received it.